Wiki Posts
Search

Different p/s/r in motors.."swapping parts"

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 11:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default Different p/s/r in motors.."swapping parts"

Hey just wondering if you have a motor with bad rod or piston and sleeve or what have you...if you find a new rod from a different motor but its specs are the same is there a reason it wouldnt work?? i understand if you found a longer rod that it wouldnt work but if they were the same length or whatever can you swap parts..mainly due to the fact that some motors replacment parts are way more expensive then others???
Old 02-20-2010, 03:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

I know people that yeild great results with swapinstien engines. I also know guys that have quit the hobby swapping internals because it never worked out for them. No matter what, when switching rods a break in procedure should be done. If your measurmants are correct and look to be same hopefully break in will go ok and things will work out fine. Myself i would only consider using same brand replacement internals. I have tried different rods in engines a couple times and either measurmant were off barely or way too much once i tried to assemble..
Old 02-20-2010, 04:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

mutt motor, i believe that is how the fms was born, on road and off road parts together. i mutted sts and go motors before with ok results. give it a shot, if it does not run stop to save what you can.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

thanks for the replys ill give it a shot as its not my race motor anymore and have nothing to lose thanks guys!
Old 02-21-2010, 12:04 AM
Tech Regular

go engines are roughly based on novarossi dimensions. i've heard a few times, people were trying gen5 go rods in nova/rb engines without problems. price difference is huge. i myself put an rb carb on my go 217pt 'cause i found it easier to tune.