Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HOW DO YOU CLEAN YOUR CAR??

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 10:52 PM
Tech Adept

Default HOW DO YOU CLEAN YOUR CAR??

I see so many really dirty cars and then the next second they are so clean! How do you do it? Do you take the entire thing apart? do you power wash it? whats going on here??

THANKS!!
Old 02-17-2010, 11:04 PM
Tech Adept

I strip mine down completely to clean and check worn parts.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 82 (99%+)

Originally Posted by crockpot7
I see so many really dirty cars and then the next second they are so clean! How do you do it? Do you take the entire thing apart? do you power wash it? whats going on here??

THANKS!!
kal-guard!!!!

prep and shine!!!!

great stuff, makes dirt not stick.

if my cars get really dirty more then what a air compressor can handle.

ill pull my electronics tray, diffs, shocks, bearings,
and toss it in the dishwasher, Only when my Mother, Girlfriend are not home. then ill wash my tires in the sink, and i use a detail brush for my radio tray.

i use simple green on my diffs.
blast my bearings with wd40 and air compressor, then, re lube up my bearings

by that time, the truck should be clean in the dishwasher.

Kal-guard cuts down on the major break down and cleans.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:00 AM
Tech Apprentice

it IS VERY time consuming but i beleive it is worth it, I strip my car after most races, down to diffs and pull all bearings out (except for steering post) wash all plastics with sugar soap and use a stiff bristle paint brush to clean radio tray and steering.

I heard alot of pro's due to time constraints will not strip the car after every race but just brush all dust and debris of with a paint brush and that the worst thing you can do is put water (sugar soap/simple green) anywhere near an assembled car because it will move grit to areas of stress such as hinge pin / arm joints etc and cause binding and excessive wear.
i think this theory makes sense
Old 02-18-2010, 12:43 AM
Tech Regular

To get the parts really clean, I can advise you:

Any brand will do! Dissolves all dirt and oil resedu and makes the car like new; shiny and smelling good!! You will get an unexpected really great result. Just try and see for yourselve how great these will clean your car!
Old 02-18-2010, 12:48 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

i asked this question a few weeks ago. The best way i found out of it all is take engine and radio tray out strip it down. Good old simple green and tooth brush. wash out with water. Spray with wd-40 and then air commpressor. Then last of all re-oil bearings and re-assemble.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:15 AM
Tech Master

Hi.

I use brown soap (that's the name in Denmark) on all plastic parts. Put them in the soap-water for 10-20 min. Wash all the dirt off with a toothbrush and rinse them with clean water. The brown soap even makes grease from the diff´s become to small balls, which can be rinsed away with clean water.
The plastic parts is total clean and black, and the soap lay down a thin layer of film on the surfase, so it is even easier to clean next time.

I don't like WD40, because all dirt and dust will stay on the car next time you use it.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:23 AM
TIX
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

i use a big brush on the loose stuff and stiff brush on the harder stuff for a quick clean

if i am going all out i pull it down to the diffs and throw all the plastics in the sink with some simple green. 10 minutes soaking and its all gone
Old 02-18-2010, 01:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default hmm

I use an air compressor, then take the whole car apart and clean all the parts with a toothbrush and sponge and dish soap in hot water in the sink. Then blast the parts again with air comp, then put new bearings in, then spray all parts with teflon spray from lowes, it keeps dirt from sticking, and smoothes out hinge areas and so on, and dries quickly and leaves a film to repel dirt. Works awesome. Small towels work great to wipe off dirty grease and mothers all mag polish on a rag will polish all metal. Shock shafts and hinge pins in a dremel and just buff it by hand for pipes...For the engine I use denatured alcohol inside and out... Keep in mind In between this arduous process I may go two or three races by just using a sponge on the bottom and wd-40 verrrrry lightly on a toothbrush to remove dirt and shine it up, do not spray it on your car, it will become grittttttty.....Just spray the toothbrush lightly and get after it...Using the air comp as you work.... I don't use simple green, but a lot of people do. I think it stinks.....
Old 02-18-2010, 01:36 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I use O'donnell car wash. Comes in a 32oz spray bottle. Spray it down, then use aircompressor. Only problem is you can spray dirt into your bearings. Works real well though. Heard of other folks using armor all.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I get a girl in a bikini to do it for me...
Old 02-18-2010, 06:20 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Kal Gard, I pretreat before quals with Prep and Shine then after blow it off with air compressor and done. Then I walk around watching everyone else taking theres apart. I remember those days LOL
Old 02-18-2010, 07:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I decided to start a track, so now my car stays shiny clean setting on the table while I watch everyone else race and I run the computer....my stuff last so much longer now, hardly ever shows signs of dirt..maybe just a little dust on the body But all kidding aside...KALGARD!!!! Degreaser to clean, prep and shine to ...wellll.....shine
Old 02-18-2010, 02:28 PM
Tech Addict

Typically, I'll pull the radio tray, engine and fuel tank and clean w/ a mixture of 50% simple green, 25% WD-40, and 25% denatured alcohol. Then check all bearings and diffs to see if they need any care. About every 2-3 races the before mentioned gets rebuilt and replaced. To clean the engine, I started using denatured alcohol in a siphon sprayer. Works pretty good, just don't spray anything under the flywheel into the front bearing.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Bart_Banaan
To get the parts really clean, I can advise you:

Any brand will do! Dissolves all dirt and oil resedu and makes the car like new; shiny and smelling good!! You will get an unexpected really great result. Just try and see for yourselve how great these will clean your car!
That was suposed to be top secret tech.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.