R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 02-17-2010, 11:31 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default Losi 2.0 B kick up

Hi Guys, could someone tell me what the stock kick up is on the Losi 2.0 Buggy race roller? as i have just bought adjustable hinge pin brace & there is no mention of what the stock kick up is in the manual.
los2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:37 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

i believe its 10 degrees
Old 02-17-2010, 11:41 AM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

What is kick up?
phaqu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:43 AM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaqu22 View Post
What is kick up?
the kick up is the front part of the chassis where its bent up. this adds to the total amount of caster for the vehicle
Old 02-17-2010, 11:59 AM   #5
am
Tech Master

If you use 0 insert in the front and back hingepin holder you are stock and that is 10 degrees. If you lower your hingepins ( +1 up at the rear holder and +1 down on the front holder) you will get more steering and front end grip.
am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:11 PM   #6
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the replies guys, the eu version of the 2.0 is soon to be released over here in the UK with 12 degree castor blocks, so if i want to replicate this with my adjustable braces i need to add 2 degrees of kick up?? is this right?
Old 02-17-2010, 01:02 PM   #7
am
Tech Master

No, that is wrong, sorry.

If you add to kickup you will also add caster as the castor block is screwed to the suspensionarms... if you ad two degrees of kickup, you will have 12 degrees of kickup and 24 degrees of caster, and that is alot!!

If you will go back to 10 degrees caster you will have to buy the 10 degree castorblock. That`s the best way to only change castor. If you change kickup you adjust more than one thing at a time. It must not be a bad thing but i prefer to do things one adjsutment at a time.

When i used to drive the crono RS3, we had to give the car moore kickup, because the car had way to much steering. When we added kickup, we calmed the car down, since more kickup makes you loose traction on the front end.

If you reduce kickup, you will get higher traction and moore steering, a car that is not as good through the ruff stuff.

Caster is another story, as you reduce caster, you also reduse how the front wheels tilts when you are in the corner. ( it looks like your wheels change camber angle, sorry, but i have not a better way to expalin as i am not that good in english or have a drawing to show you) Generally, less castor give more turn in and less steereing in the midle and exit of the corner.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:25 PM   #8
Tech Initiate

thank you 'am' for taking the time to write your reply & your english & grammer is excellent. basically i will just go back to stock settings with the kick up as i am just confused to be honest. we run on quite bumpy tracks over here in the UK so hopefuly stock settings will not leave me too far away.
thanks again
Old 02-17-2010, 01:51 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I found some verbiage on the web and captured the important stuff.

Here ya go:

Anti-dive and kick up are much like anti-squat, while anti-squat deals with just the rear suspension.

They both refer to the angle your front hinge pins are setting at relative to the ground.

The major function of both is to control the amount of weight transfer on to the front suspension during braking, on-power and off-power. By controlling the amount of weight transfer this will have many advantages. Braking on corner entry, the amount of traction, mid corner, and forward traction on corner exit. Plus, it determines how your rc vehicle is going to handle bumps, ruts and all other rough stuff.

Total kick up or anti-dive = chassis kick up or anti-dive + front suspension mount kick up.

Plus, both anti-dive and kick up have an effect on your total caster angle.
Your total caster angle = caster angle + chassis kick up angle or anti-dive angle + front suspension mount kick up.

For an example if, chassis kick up = 7.0° and suspension mount kick up = -1.5°, total kick up = 5.5°. If you’re running a caster angle = 15°, this makes your total caster angle = 20.5° with kick up.

Like anti-squat, both kick up and anti-dive artificially raises or lowers your center of gravity, which either lengthens or shortens your level arm, thus raising or lowering your pivot point.

This can have a huge effect on your cornering and braking, plus how your rc vehicle is going to handle bumps.

Take a look at your front suspension from the side, with the wheels off.
If the hinge pins are tilted forward, the rear of the hinge pin is higher than the front this is anti-dive.

But, if your hinge pins are tilted backwards, the front of the hinge pin is higher than the rear this is kick-up.

As a general rule I never see a reason to use anti-dive on off-road rc vehicles. Since you would loose your ability to handle bumps, ruts or any other rough stuff.

The effects of less kick-up:
1. Off-throttle forward weight transfer increases.
2. Increased forward weight transfer under braking.
3. Under braking and off-throttle front suspension compresses more.
4. Reduced steering response.
5. Better when used on bumpy, rough tracks.

The effects of more kick-up:
1. Off-throttle forward weight transfer is decreased.
2. Reduced forward weight transfer under braking.
3. Under braking and off-throttle front suspension compresses less.
4. Increased steering response.
5. Better when used on smooth fast tracks.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:59 PM   #10
am
Tech Master

We also have quite alot of bumpy tracks here in Norway too. I would advice you to make some test when you are practicing. Iportant thing is one adjustment at the time, and write down what happends when you do this and that.

To get my Losi to work the best in the bumps, i use standard setup. I have all the fancy bits but in 95% at the time i run the front suspension stock, belive it or not.

I now you guys race alot on astroturf, from speking to Dave Crompton and Jess Sounders, so i think you should lay yor shocks down to the inner hole on the stock 2.0 tower. It will make the car easyer to drive.

If you play with kickup, witch in my eyes is a good tuning option, remeber to adjsut your droop settings, as the droop changes quite a bit. It is easy to messure, use two rims that you put your car on and take off the wheels. Messure the hight between the table and the front of the suspension arm were the casterblock is bolted on with a caliper. this must be the same length regards of what your kickup is. The Losi is sensitive of droopsettings.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:33 AM   #11
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by am View Post
We also have quite alot of bumpy tracks here in Norway too. I would advice you to make some test when you are practicing. Iportant thing is one adjustment at the time, and write down what happends when you do this and that.

To get my Losi to work the best in the bumps, i use standard setup. I have all the fancy bits but in 95% at the time i run the front suspension stock, belive it or not.

I now you guys race alot on astroturf, from speking to Dave Crompton and Jess Sounders, so i think you should lay yor shocks down to the inner hole on the stock 2.0 tower. It will make the car easyer to drive.

If you play with kickup, witch in my eyes is a good tuning option, remeber to adjsut your droop settings, as the droop changes quite a bit. It is easy to messure, use two rims that you put your car on and take off the wheels. Messure the hight between the table and the front of the suspension arm were the casterblock is bolted on with a caliper. this must be the same length regards of what your kickup is. The Losi is sensitive of droopsettings.
inner hole on both the front & rear shock towers? or just the front?