R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 07:57 AM   #46
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

As the Z01b's only store bought customer I feel the need to add to this discussion.

You know, this is racing, not fashion or something. and in racing there is no shame in copying. you have to do what works, and if someone who won the previous weekend had a green gastank you paint yours green the next week no questions asked and figure how that may apply later.

Innovation is fine and everything but it does not necessarily make success. look at the Japanese. They were never big innovators, just took what they saw as working and refined the hell out of it. So the copy was better than the original. this was true from 19th century military uniforms; cars, machine tools; and '50's american pop culture. Or you could be stuck on the pride of your "innovation" and fail to see it may not be working before it is too late.

So Steve O reverse engineered an old kyosho, that morphed to a reverse engineered hotbodies, that evolved to a reverse engineered losi. So? Am I the only one that can somewhat appreciate that? I hope he copies more. that brake arrangement on the durango/serpent could use some xeroxing (hint hint). meanwhile use really good materials and do it cheaper, yes i said it, xray plastic and metal has nothing on the OD stuff.

The OD car's development has taken a different track, more like full sized racing, incremental steps as opposed to out and out revamps. this is not stupid and in some ways the smart way to go (racing generally does not reward gambling). I wish the manufactures would just have yearly updates like xray does. due to plain luck the Z01b was caught behind when released on the technological push created by the losi eight. what was thought to be a winning platform (the 777) was suddenly eclipsed, oops. I don't see reinventing the wheel to compete is going to help. (team magic anyone?) we will soon see if the SG version has it caught up now.

I have got news for all of you, due to the inevitability of technological convergence all the brands will look and generally work the same, Formula1 is a prime example. The new "inovative" durango and serpent buggies look very losi to me where it matters, the suspension. It will come down to price-performance and distribution, (like PC's have become) and at that point we will be left with just a few viable chassis. And Odonnell already wins on on those previous points. (cheapest $$ parts and hobbico)

And to Diego, seeing your custom parts, they are wasted here. Go peddle your shiny trinkets to the T-maxx crowd.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:31 AM   #47
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

+1, well said johnny t.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:09 AM   #48
Tech Elite

Hey Diego, can you build a better car than the odonnell. All we've seen is a rectangular shaped piece of metal that's been milled out and called a "con rod".

moron.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:40 AM   #49
Tech Apprentice

071crazy

Exactly... all chasis that i can see from all manufacturers.. included premium brands... are like you tell....

"rectangular shaped piece of metal that's been milled"

but well... many people... most people.. all people acept to pay by these...
as the same way.. most people... all people think that the chasis must be flex...

Uau!!!..
Rarely in my life i have to listen such brutality....

Buggy car have 5 or 6 elements specially designed to absorb flex and deformation!!!!...

Diego...
Old 02-18-2010, 09:53 AM   #50
Tech Apprentice

johnny t

at least... i have few shiny trinkets to generate talk and discussion....

Wath you have??!!!!... jajajajajajjaja...

come on johny!!!!.... Wath you have??!!!!

Diego.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:06 AM   #51
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieguito View Post
johnny t

Diego.
What we have is support from Steve O'Donnell, Hobbico, and our team members. Whether your a member of the team or not Steve has time and will take the time to talk with you and help you with his products, how many other manufacturers will do that? This product has a very strong support base here from team members as well as customers, who are willing to help anyone with anything they can.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:21 AM   #52
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
johnny t

Diego.
hey, I am not really knocking your work. I mean really, the basher crowd and traxxas folks will eat that stuff up. they love such jewlery. you will make bank there...

As for viable performance gains for racing? not so much.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:40 AM   #53
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Alderman View Post
What we have is support from Steve O'Donnell, Hobbico, and our team members. Whether your a member of the team or not Steve has time and will take the time to talk with you and help you with his products, how many other manufacturers will do that? This product has a very strong support base here from team members as well as customers, who are willing to help anyone with anything they can.

I think more companies are offering support these days. I think they see the writing on the wall. I guess team work goes both ways. Most of the time, it helps people who wants to copy a setup because they can't figure it out themselves. The more Z01B's that get out to the public, the better. As for people helping people, I have never seen anything like the Hot Bodies and Losi crowd. They are simply awesome.

Last edited by Greg B; 02-19-2010 at 06:04 AM.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:41 PM   #54
Tech Elite

I agree i have studied alot of buggies and they are all copies of eachother .even if 5 parts look the same or even 1 part they are all copies as they have copied the first original design.

buggies are copies of full scale vehicles yes or no?They dont have a crown gear and pinion like every other full scale car ,they dont have satellite gears like everything else ?Thy dont have suspension ,shocks etc ?

little example the proline badlands isnt that a direct 100% copy of a motorcross tyre pattern ?all they did was use different material.yes or no? And you would see that do some research on some other patterns through fullscale rally and you will see what im talking about .

come on guys like i have said in a previous thread they mill this they mill that ,change the colours and materials and they build a buggy lol and then they say new design not a copy hahaha lol .They copy original designs and make it better with material technology they make improvement as technology advances .

The japanese take something and make it better .Who designed the first cd player ?wasnt it the Germans and phillips ?they designed the basics and the concept then the japanese made it better with sony etc right?

So the conclusion is doesnt matter if it's a copy or not that doesnt mean anything what means the most is after sales support,performance,pricing and materials used in the product that will make your product unique and seperate from others

I bet there are other buggies out there that look unique but dont perform and im sure they can be re engineered and made to perform on the same level and platform llike other buggies on the market.

my two cents worth.

take care guys .
4th Floor, 3rd Building, KeLunTe Industrial Park, ShangLiLang, BuLan Road, LongGang District, ShenZhen, China
Old 02-18-2010, 02:20 PM   #55
Tech Elite

Quote:
071crazy

Exactly... all chasis that i can see from all manufacturers.. included premium brands... are like you tell....

"rectangular shaped piece of metal that's been milled"

but well... many people... most people.. all people acept to pay by these...
as the same way.. most people... all people think that the chasis must be flex...

Uau!!!..
Rarely in my life i have to listen such brutality....

Buggy car have 5 or 6 elements specially designed to absorb flex and deformation!!!!...

Diego...

So, show us how we're supposed to design a chassis.

Oh wait, you can't.

Go back to watching star trek.

Last edited by 071crazy; 02-18-2010 at 02:35 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:26 PM   #56
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Dude Diego u talk so much crap n u ask why such brutality? U R A JOKE! Why the hell do u need to talk about steves product in such a dissraspectful way the guy test like 2 times a week and is constantly making new stuff to try so he can make his stuff better. You need to back off cause the odonnell fans here will eat u alive to NOTHING! U should stop now before u have a real problem.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:13 PM   #57
Tech Regular

I love my O'Donnell Buggy and Truggy... These are great cars and they are OK by design and very OK to drive. Who cares about anything else?
I thank Steve to have developed and produced these cars, and I love to race my O'Donnells.

I will certainly expand my collection of cars with a Z01B-SG buggy; not because I must, but just because I want.
And because I can only spend my money once and I spend my money to support the company whoms products I choose... By buying their products I hope I can support the future R&D of the company so they can develop their products further in order to sell me the next generation of their product..
Old 02-18-2010, 06:55 PM   #58
Tech Apprentice

johnny t...
071crazy...

pics of my new shiny trinkets!!!!!

johnny t...
you can not even design a nut... your cruel true... jajajajaja...

Diego.
Attached Thumbnails
Odonnell 2009-2010.. excatly the same car.-odonnell_option_chasis_00.jpg   Odonnell 2009-2010.. excatly the same car.-odonnell_option_chasis_02.jpg   Odonnell 2009-2010.. excatly the same car.-odonnell_option_chasis_04.jpg   Odonnell 2009-2010.. excatly the same car.-odonnell_option_chasis_05.jpg   Odonnell 2009-2010.. excatly the same car.-odonnell_option_chasis_15.jpg  

Old 02-18-2010, 07:11 PM   #59
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Now that's a chassis! I'm sure it's lighter than it looks. wonder how well she will flex ?
Old 02-18-2010, 07:25 PM   #60
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg B View Post
wonder how well she will flex ?
she won't!
Closed Thread