R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 02-16-2010, 02:15 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default RC heli fuel in an off road?

Would this be a horrible mix? I know there are differences in oil mixtures and stuff. I have a lot of Curtis Youngblood Wildcat 30% that I use in my Raptor 90, but I just purchased a Losi XXL. The manual says I should run the Losi Nitrotane fuel for my engine warranty, but is this just marketing BS? Its kind of a pain to carry two kinds of fuel. What do you guys think?
beastie050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:33 PM   #2
Tech Master

it will work, but you won't get peak performance out of the engine. In helis the high oil is used for cooling as well as lubrication, in cars it is just for lubrication.

“Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.”
jrwoodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:55 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (97%+)
Send a message via MSN to zJatoRad

My dad once tried 30% heli fuel with high oil content on his RC10GT (this was about 3 years ago) and he would leave a massive smoke trail lol, it wasn't as fast as the nitro it's supposed to use, but it did work.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:03 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

if you know the exact % of synth / castor / nitro / methanol then you can add extra nitro or methanol to offset the extra oil. You should be shooting for around 12% oil, whatever % of nitro typically anywhere from 20% to 30% and the rest methanol.
TopGearRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 03:42 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Yep,its gonna smoke bigtime!!! But thats about it
hairymuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 03:57 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Good for breaking in an engine do not expect much power from that fuel, but you won't damage anything.
I am not sponsored, these are the products I chose to support.
Serpent SRX8, Sanwa M11s, Sanwa SRX-BX servos, Picco 5TB
RAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:51 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastie050 View Post
Would this be a horrible mix? I know there are differences in oil mixtures and stuff. I have a lot of Curtis Youngblood Wildcat 30% that I use in my Raptor 90, but I just purchased a Losi XXL. The manual says I should run the Losi Nitrotane fuel for my engine warranty, but is this just marketing BS? Its kind of a pain to carry two kinds of fuel. What do you guys think?
Your heli fuel is roughly 22% oil content with all of that being synthetic. Car fuel is typically between 8 to 12% oil content with that being a mix of both castor and synthetic oil. At best the performance with the heli fuel is going to be bad, worst case scenario you might destroy your engine.
Werks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:12 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werks View Post
Your heli fuel is roughly 22% oil content with all of that being synthetic. Car fuel is typically between 8 to 12% oil content with that being a mix of both castor and synthetic oil. At best the performance with the heli fuel is going to be bad, worst case scenario you might destroy your engine.
i wont destroy the engine it just wont perform as well and will need a hotter plug due to the extra oil and it will smoke alot the internal wear on the motor will be less from all the oil lubricating everything so if your not racing and just backyard running it will be fine
MontanaMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:27 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaMaxx View Post
i wont destroy the engine it just wont perform as well and will need a hotter plug due to the extra oil and it will smoke alot the internal wear on the motor will be less from all the oil lubricating everything so if your not racing and just backyard running it will be fine
Right, and as I said the performance at best will be bad. Worst case scenario he will destroy his engine and for you to say that it wont is taking a shot in the dark because you have absolutely no idea how adept the person is at tuning. As I mentioned helli fuel is a 100% synthetic fuel, so worst case if the engine runs lean it is going to be much more likely that he suffers a catastrophic failure than if he was running a fuel with castor in in it which is exactly why I said "worst case". The fuel is already going to run hotter because of the higher oil content making this scenario all the more likely.
Werks is offline   Reply With Quote