R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (http://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   my 7075 restyling CHASIS... Part I (http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/371256-my-7075-restyling-chasis-part-i.html)

Dieguito 02-16-2010 08:59 AM

my 7075 restyling CHASIS... Part I

5 Attachment(s)
Diego.

Thanks.

Franchise 02-16-2010 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieguito (Post 7013358)
Diego.

Thanks.

Looks strong but looks heavy. Neat though.

Dieguito 02-16-2010 10:00 AM

in fact... the weights are generally the same that the originals...
some cases.. the weights is less than the originals...

The maximun thickness is 5.2 mm..

The minimun thickness is 1 mm..

Diego.

fatdaddy 02-16-2010 10:14 AM

why does this look framiliar? i thought ive seen this before somewhere else.

its looks nice, but i would think it would be too rigid, and the lack of chassis flex would hurt handleing. also i could imagine that chassis filling up with dirt or mud pretty easily. and with everything mounting up so high on the chassis i would think the COG would really be affected negatively.

it is pretty though

Franchise 02-16-2010 10:18 AM

Yea dirt would get in there but I don't see it being that much of a problems unless mudding. It would however catch all the fuel my pitman can't seem to get in my tank(fuel gun this season) and the screws I drop.

Dieguito 02-16-2010 10:23 AM

sorry... wath is COG?!!!!....

as in the real sports cars... the chasis must be all that rigid is posible... to ensure that the suspension elements.. works as be thinked...

If the chasis fly as a flowing carpet... itīs NOT GOOD!!!!!....

The chasis.. is the chasis...
The spring is the spring..
the shock absorver.. is the shock absorver... etc...

All suspension elements must be suported by the chasis...
The chasis must work like a structure.. NOT like a suspension element...
This is the universal chasis Theory...

Diego.

jjshbetz11 02-16-2010 10:32 AM

well these chassis do need flex, it's preety though

slaytanic 02-16-2010 10:32 AM

Those are blingy! Not true on chassis flex though. It is a viable tuning option and is used across rc classes. Look at durangos new buggy. Tuned Chassis flex. Nice looking pieces though. Thats a hunk o metal there!

fatdaddy 02-16-2010 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieguito (Post 7013758)
sorry... wath is COG?!!!!....

as in the real sports cars... the chasis must be all that rigid is posible... to ensure that the suspension elements.. works as be thinked...

If the chasis fly as a flowing carpet... itīs NOT GOOD!!!!!....

The chasis.. is the chasis...
The spring is the spring..
the shock absorver.. is the shock absorver... etc...

All suspension elements must be suported by the chasis...
The chasis must work like a structure.. NOT like a suspension element...
This is the universal chasis Theory...

Diego.

COG = Center of Gravity

i hate to break it to you, but our chassis work nothing like they do on real sports cars.

good luck! :)

rider313 02-16-2010 10:54 AM

even in motocross we deal with chassis flex. If the frame isto rigid the bike handles like crap, so most manufactures feed more flex into it for the next year. Offroad vehicles like a flexy chassis to work off. I i heard some onroad guys say the same thing.

Dieguito 02-16-2010 10:57 AM

please tell me...

If you think that the chasis must be flex...
Can you explain this??!!!!....

The 1/8 nitro Off Road do all that do real 1/1 sports cars..

If the 1/8 Nitro Off Road have to avsorb the track imperfections...
the elements for that mission are springs, tires, inserts, shock obsorvers and antirroll bars...

Wath you think.. tell me!!!

Diego.

Dieguito 02-16-2010 11:01 AM

Center Gravity itīsnt a part of the suspension....

COG nothing have to do with the suspension...

The COG.. may be affect litlle when the car is flyng.. nothing more...

Diego.

mblgjr 02-16-2010 11:07 AM

We've had it out with the OP here before about the flex; so let him go try his stuff and see what he things :D

IF (big IF we had better shocks...then yea I could see stiffening the frame. But until then; the tires, wheels, stiffness of the plastics...ALL are part of the 'suspension' spring/feel.

Can you go too far with the flex? Yes.

Can you go too far with the stiffness? Yes.

Do most real cars strive to achieve maximum stiffness on a given platform? Yes...BUT...they typically fail within certain design limitations, so it still flexes ;)

mblgjr 02-16-2010 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieguito (Post 7013962)

Diego.

???

Center of Gravity has a direct correlation to HOW the suspension works/reacts and the vehicle drives :weird:

Because everything mounts on top of the chassis for RC; if you maintain your suspension angles (i.e. dogbones level at ride height); with your thicker frame, you'll lose ground clearance (based on it being 5mm nominal thickness; vs. normal 4mm frame). The added weight down low should actually lower your CG a bit.

For those interested; this is a good *basic* article regarding CG and how some things can affect it. (Not RC; but can relate)

http://firechief.com/apparatus/vehicle_cog_0907/

Stubbs 02-16-2010 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieguito (Post 7013962)

Diego.

The CG will most certainly affect the handling of the car on the ground, not just in the air. A higher CG will cause the truck to dive forward more on braking, squat more on acceleration, and roll more in turns. This is all due to the higher bending moment imparted on the suspension components by having the CG higher up on the chassis.

Regarding flex, Losi, among others uses TFT (Tuned Flex Technology) to incorporate specific flex points along the chassis. A rigid chassis relies solely on the suspension to dampen all shock. A flexible chassis allows some of the more rigid impacts to be distributed over a larger area.

I'll leave you with a little bit of Zen Philosophy that applies to this discussion...."That which does not bend...breaks".