R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 02-15-2010, 10:07 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Xray XT8 or O'Donnell Z01-T

Ok, so I thought I had this figured out, and then a buddy told me to check out Xray. So... Now I'm even more torn. Which is the better overall buy in terms of performance, longevity and overall value?

Which one would you buy? Which one would be more fun to build?

Getting back into this hobby is more complicated than I thought! This is what happens when I have a 36 hour layover, and I’m in the wrong time zone from home…
GulfstreamIVCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:16 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I would go with the Xray out of those two. It can be pricey compared to some. But the quality of the parts in top of the line and very tough. Depending on where you live parts can be hard to come buy so you may need to do most of your ordering online.

LOL to throw some more vehicles in there to look at. Also check out Mugen, Losi, and Hot Bodies if you haven't already.
shanty140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:25 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanty140 View Post
I would go with the Xray out of those two. It can be pricey compared to some. But the quality of the parts in top of the line and very tough. Depending on where you live parts can be hard to come buy so you may need to do most of your ordering online.

LOL to throw some more vehicles in there to look at. Also check out Mugen, Losi, and Hot Bodies if you haven't already.
LOL, no, I just can't add any more cars to my consideration list!!

There isn't much of a price difference from the XT8 and Z01-T... I do like the fact O'Donnell is made in the US. And yes, part availability is a possible issue with the Xray. I wonder how durable it is compared to the Z01-T?
Old 02-16-2010, 03:06 AM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

for sale never run u have PM
All the free tires i can get LOL
koreanassasom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:25 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to MotoGod Send a message via Yahoo to MotoGod

We have a local who picked up an O'Donnell for this season. It looks pretty durable to me. I personally run an XT8 08 Spec and have yet to really break anything on the chassis with the exception of 1 shock shaft. ...but in it's defense, I pummeled it into a 2X4 after a triple....so the poor shock shaft didn't stand a chance!

The O'Donnell looks pretty beefy as well, but I think if I had the choice between the 2 I would go with the XRay, ONLY because it's a proven platform, and at that price level you can't go wrong with XRay. Honestly though, any of these new Truggy platforms will serve you right. Pick one you can get parts for locally, or quickly through online retailers. A Main gets me parts in 2-3 days, CarolinasRC gets em here in 1 day when they have em in stock.
Thanks to my 2015 Sponsors: LutzRC, RadioPost, AKA Tires, RC Addition Products, Nitro Pro Fuels
MotoGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:40 AM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

gulfstream, one thing to figure out is maintenance and parts costs. For xray parts are expensive the Odonnell is crazy cheap. the materials used in the Odonnell are a slightly higher grade too in my assertive opinion, The ODs wear like Iron.

To note there is a completely new truggy from Odonnell coming. I have seen the production version, don't know when it will be released though. maybe with the new buggy?
johnny t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:07 AM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

XT8 all the way. Xray is known for using top quality materials and building their cars like tanks. It is a little more price wise, but you get what you pay for. Replacement parts do cost a little more, but they last longer than most.
I've never personally driven the Z01-T, but from what I hear it's durable and a good truck over all. I've heard complaints that it's heavy, an older design, and just not quite as fast as the newer breed of truggies. I can't vouch for that so take it with a grain of salt.
I personaly run the XT8 and I can vouch for how well it's built. The entire drivetrain is built from Hudy lightened spring steel, hence the reason it cost more. It's light and nimble, but very stable too. The thing is a freaking tank and just keeps going. I've got friends with other brands that have less time on them than mine and it makes me sick to touch them because of the slop they have developed. Mine is still as tight as the day I got it. When I was looking at purchasing last year, I researched all brands. For me it came down to the Xray XT8 09 Spec and the Mugen MBX6T. I found a smoking deal on the Xray and haven't looked back. Check out the Xray forums too. I saw a brand new unbuilt XT8 on there yesterday cheap.
pickle311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:56 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny t View Post
gulfstream, one thing to figure out is maintenance and parts costs. For xray parts are expensive the Odonnell is crazy cheap. the materials used in the Odonnell are a slightly higher grade too in my assertive opinion, The ODs wear like Iron.

To note there is a completely new truggy from Odonnell coming. I have seen the production version, don't know when it will be released though. maybe with the new buggy?
XRay Parts ARE expensive, but how many XRay rigs for sale do you see that come with a BUTTLOAD of spare parts? ALL of them. Wanna know why? Because all the spare parts you buy sit in the original plastic bags until you sell the rig ;-)
Thanks to my 2015 Sponsors: LutzRC, RadioPost, AKA Tires, RC Addition Products, Nitro Pro Fuels
Old 02-16-2010, 08:09 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

Xray Fanboy
XT8 Hobbywing 150a esc/2000kv combo KILLER! Full rc-monster e conversion. 4s
slaytanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:17 AM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I have campaigned both brands and can say operating costs are easily 3-4 times cheaper with the odonnell. for example, I just replaced my entire drivetrain on the z01b for under 100 bucks. the xray was over $250. and the xray metalwork will wear out faster than OD.

hey, at least both brands come with crappy shocks...and both truggys look pretty clumsy on the track compared to say the losi or hotbodies.

you will break less suspension parts on the xray for sure, but wearing and breaking are two different things. I find the former more important. breaking is easy to fix; stop hitting things.
johnny t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:54 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Nah not really a fanboy yet. My first season racing was last year, and I put that poor Truggy through hell and back and it just kept going (ummm well when my used worn out engines stayed running). I will definitely agree that the Hudy Steel parts are UBER expensive. I paid $33 for a single front driveshaft when I noticed one was bent when I purchased it.

I really don't know much about the O'Donnell stuff other than it looks pretty kick butt. I mean all the name brands are rugged looking. Some have weaknesses that others don't, but I have listened to people talk about replacing worn out parts and such....and I just haven't have to do that yet with a full season on it. I drive like crap still...so I crash into everything in my path and it still holds up.

I was thinking about upgrading to the 09 Spec, but since I'm still a "rookie" I don't really think I'll reap the benefits much until I can drive the 08 Spec properly anyway.

Soooo many people knock brand XXX because they drive brand YYY, but they have never driven brand XXX. So just take it all with a grain of salt and pick one that you like, and you can get parts easily for and just run with it.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:10 AM   #12
Tech Apprentice

Thanks guys... I'm really at a loss as to which one to buy, especially when they are within $60 of each other price wise...

I did send a note to O'Donnell to inquire about when the new truggy would be available. Understandably, all they could share with me was that a new model was being tested... I did read that Xray will not be doing a X8T 2010 model, but who knows...

I have pretty much settled on the Nova P5, as it seems everyone says to buy that engine...

I guess it comes down to this:

(1) Which one will I have the most fun with?
(2) Which one will endure the abuse myself and my older son will give it?
(3) Which one will ultimately be better suited for racing if/when that time comes?

I’m not sure if I can wait for the new O’Donnell model to become available. My kids and I are really looking forward to building something soon… What are the chances O’Donnell will do an upgrade kit to the current Z01-T?
Old 02-16-2010, 09:34 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoGod View Post
Nah not really a fanboy yet.
I was talking about myself! LOL
XT8 Hobbywing 150a esc/2000kv combo KILLER! Full rc-monster e conversion. 4s
slaytanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:55 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaytanic View Post
I was talking about myself! LOL
hahaha Fair enough ;-)
Old 02-16-2010, 10:04 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfstreamIVCap View Post
Thanks guys... I'm really at a loss as to which one to buy, especially when they are within $60 of each other price wise...

I did send a note to O'Donnell to inquire about when the new truggy would be available. Understandably, all they could share with me was that a new model was being tested... I did read that Xray will not be doing a X8T 2010 model, but who knows...

I have pretty much settled on the Nova P5, as it seems everyone says to buy that engine...

I guess it comes down to this:

(1) Which one will I have the most fun with?
(2) Which one will endure the abuse myself and my older son will give it?
(3) Which one will ultimately be better suited for racing if/when that time comes?

I’m not sure if I can wait for the new O’Donnell model to become available. My kids and I are really looking forward to building something soon… What are the chances O’Donnell will do an upgrade kit to the current Z01-T?
Gulfstream, I'm the local that MotoGod is referring to. I put a post up in your other thread as well....

For all three of your questions above, put the name of all the major brands up on the wall and throw a dart at it, then choose the one you hit. Like I said in the other thread, all of the major brands will suit your needs just fine. Each will have it's own pros and cons, but they're all well suited for what you will be doing with the vehicle, and are all very capable race rigs.

Regarding the new truggy from OD, I was speaking to Steve O'Donnell about it a couple of weeks ago. He said that it would indeed be available to current owners as an upgrade kit that could be applied to the existing Z01T. The difference between the two configurations will be that new design is being designed to make the truck much more of an aggressive rig on the track (i.e. get rid of that clumsiness that was mentioned in another post). You'll be just fine with the current design, and there may be an offer, like what was done on the buggy, where the upgrade "team kit" was given to recent purchasers at a deep discount (may have even been free...I don't know). If you look at the current Z01B kit, you get both the standard configuration, and the team upgrade kit in the same box, so you can have the car grow with the driver's abilities.

Honestly, I've let several folks at my track take mine for a spin. They've all said it was a great performer, and just needed to have the set up dialed in for our particular track. The one thing that I've seen time and time again about the XRay is that it's probably the best driving truggy out there....once you get it set up properly. That's where it gets sketchy. The XRay has so many tuning options, it can sometimes be a bit overwhelming for the "less than expert" racers. That was one of the things that steered me towards the OD over the Xray.

If you'd to talk on the phone about this in more detail, PM me your info, and I'll give you a call. I was fortunate to have someone do this same thing for me when I was trying to decide which truggy to buy. He had a great deal of info on all of the major brands. I'll be glad to pass on the knowledge to you.

Thanks,

Mike
Stubbs is offline   Reply With Quote