Xray XT8 or O'Donnell Z01-T

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Xray XT8 or O'Donnell Z01-T

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 11:49 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by johnny t
I have campaigned both brands and can say operating costs are easily 3-4 times cheaper with the odonnell. for example, I just replaced my entire drivetrain on the z01b for under 100 bucks. the xray was over $250. and the xray metalwork will wear out faster than OD.

hey, at least both brands come with crappy shocks...and both truggys look pretty clumsy on the track compared to say the losi or hotbodies.

you will break less suspension parts on the xray for sure, but wearing and breaking are two different things. I find the former more important. breaking is easy to fix; stop hitting things.
1) I've never seen drivetrain components last longer, or even AS long as Xray. My truck has 2 years of abuse on it and I'm FINALLY doing drivetrain stuff- pins and center outdrives. I had a Jammin that was TRASHED after 6 months. I have not run an O'Donnell, so I don't know about wear, but I have had Mugen, Losi, Xray, Jammin, and OFNA... the only one even close to the same ballpark was the Mugen. Hudy Steel isn't just a gimmeck... it is better.

2) The new XRAY shocks (09 spec) are as good as anything out there on a kit. The older small bores are not as good.

3) XRAY has a LOT of chassis tuning options. Start with the suggested setup and go from there. You'll be very happy.

4) Unless your LHS carries them, O'Donnell parts are not easier to get than XRAY. XRAY parts cost more... for a reason. Quality costs. (I'm by no means bashing O'Donnell quality... just saying that XRAY is the best I have experienced.)
Old 02-16-2010, 01:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I drove one my friend's xt8 '09 the other day and all I can say is that my Losi 8t 2.0 will be up for sale soon...

It drove so much better it wasn't even funny. After only a few minutes I was instantly putting down faster laps.

I do have an 808 and I will say that xray quality is second to none. Stuff cost more, but you buy less of it.

With that said, the guys at my track that drive the O'Donnell are very fast and seem to like them.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

XT8 does not need an update and I don't understand why the uninformed contiune to say so. You get 1 person that complains because Xray releases too many updates, then the next post is someone complaining that the XT8 is out of date. Make up your mind people.

The truck was just updated less than a year ago. If Xray felt that it needed to be updated, they would have.
Gulf, I don't know where you're located but consider this. Xray parts are readily availeable online if you need them. Amain carries pretty much everything and it will take close to a week to get the parts in.
I'm in Texas so I order all my Xray parts through Team Helotes in the San Antonio area. They pretty well stock everything needed and their prices are better than Amain. Plus it only takes 1 -2 days to get my order since they are close. In the event that they are out of stock on any part, RCAmerica is the US distributor for Xray and they are located in Dallas. Team Helotes orders what they need from them and they get it the next day.

Domit, I have some pit space for you under my tent this weekend if you need it. Just need a table.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:31 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Originally Posted by pickle311
XT8 does not need an update and I don't understand why the uninformed contiune to say so. You get 1 person that complains because Xray releases too many updates, then the next post is someone complaining that the XT8 is out of date. Make up your mind people.
+1
The new (09 spec) truck has a longer chassis, revised front suspension (upper camber link instead of A-arms,) lightened drivetrain, and carbon fiber shock towers, servo tray, center diff top plate, and front top plate. It is every bit as up to date as anything out there. Is it a "ground up" new truck? Nope... it isn't needed. This truck is as good as they get. I run the "old" (08 and older) spec truck... and it is still plenty good with a couple of updates.

The truck was just updated less than a year ago. If Xray felt that it needed to be updated, they would have.
Gulf, I don't know where you're located but consider this. Xray parts are readily availeable online if you need them. Amain carries pretty much everything and it will take close to a week to get the parts in.
I'm in Texas so I order all my Xray parts through Team Helotes in the San Antonio area. They pretty well stock everything needed and their prices are better than Amain. Plus it only takes 1 -2 days to get my order since they are close. In the event that they are out of stock on any part, RCAmerica is the US distributor for Xray and they are located in Dallas. Team Helotes orders what they need from them and they get it the next day.

Domit, I have some pit space for you under my tent this weekend if you need it. Just need a table.
I will have anywhere from 1-3 guys (undetermined exactly on 2 of them) along with me... and I'm going to need to hang the Team Terribles banner somewhere too. So... the offer is much appreciated, but I doubt you have THAT much room.

Hopefully we'll have enough room to bring a popup. We had all the logistics worked out until the race was rescheduled... now things are a little bit up in the air for some of us.

I'm actually in California, flying home late Friday night, and will be leaving about 4 am to go to Austin on Saturday morning.

I still have to finish painting a new body, install engine/pipe (just went through the bearings and stuff on the truck and needed pipe grommets which I was out of...) Friday night, and get a good tune on the engine Saturday morning... I'm gonna be in a huge rush!
Old 02-16-2010, 05:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

i have driven both...the Xray is better to me in everyway....the O is sharp turning and has good response though
Old 02-16-2010, 05:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I have always wanted to see the OD truck but no one locally runs one, or really Xray's for that matter. When i got into racing a couple years ago, i checked the hobby shop for parts and the had Losi and Associated, and that's about it. After doing a lot of reading on line i checked out the Xray team forum and found that i really liked that i could talk with the team drivers themselves and get set up tips or ideas from them. I now own 3 xray vehicles and love them all. I've had the chance to drive the Losi's and Team Associated cars but found the xray does fit me better.

Oh and its true about the parts you'll buy some just in case and they sit in a box that rarely gets opened
Old 02-18-2010, 12:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default the xray

My 808 is the best car I've owned, and I've been racing forever. I don't have a truggy, but from where I sit, it's better than OD.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I just looked up parts prices and compared them to a few different truggies on amain and I literally about coughed up a lung when I saw the prices of xrays stuff! 42$ for a tank? That's outragous those parts out-cost parts on my 5t by liKe 30%, anything that's got Hudy spring steel is like 4x the price of the same part on another truck. I would look at the rc8t prices there about the same as the od truck and have some sik blue parts and I'll tell u from experience they work great I had 2 of them last year n only used 1 for almost 2 seasons n left the other in the box unbuilt. That was even b4 they updated it 2 times.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

You are correct Matt. Xray parts are pricey, but you don't buy half as many parts as you do on some of the other rigs! I see some guys drag around 3-4 spare tanks in their toolbox just in case....I bring NONE. I doubt my tank will crack or break! All the Hudy steel items are VERY pricey, but they are way lighter than other similar parts, and wear 2-3x longer than other parts....hence the price markup on them.

I have 2 plastic Plano cases full of XRay Parts. The only ones I ever even open are spare screws that I stripped out. I have gone through maybe 2 body mounts due to crashes....and some eClips. That's pretty much it in a full season, minus the front shock shaft I listed above.

So no one will argue with people that say XRay stuff is pricey. We know ;-) We're still willing to pay for it, because we know we won't need to buy whatever part we're replacing again for awhile. Now I'm not saying other rigs are junk, just saying the XRay is THAT good IMHO.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:59 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MotoGod
You are correct Matt. Xray parts are pricey, but you don't buy half as many parts as you do on some of the other rigs! I see some guys drag around 3-4 spare tanks in their toolbox just in case....I bring NONE. I doubt my tank will crack or break! All the Hudy steel items are VERY pricey, but they are way lighter than other similar parts, and wear 2-3x longer than other parts....hence the price markup on them.

I have 2 plastic Plano cases full of XRay Parts. The only ones I ever even open are spare screws that I stripped out. I have gone through maybe 2 body mounts due to crashes....and some eClips. That's pretty much it in a full season, minus the front shock shaft I listed above.

So no one will argue with people that say XRay stuff is pricey. We know ;-) We're still willing to pay for it, because we know we won't need to buy whatever part we're replacing again for awhile. Now I'm not saying other rigs are junk, just saying the XRay is THAT good IMHO.
+1

I carry lots of parts with me... but rarely break ANYTHING. (A front arm once in a while.) And believe me... if it can be broken, I can break it. (See avatar for example of my "fine driving skills." lol )
Old 02-18-2010, 10:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I raced with a cracked C hub for 2 months just to see how long it would last. I finally changed it because I was sick of looking at it. The broken one is still in my box as a spare, I've already proven it's strong enough to work if I need it.
It didn't break from a crash either. I lost a pin in the front CVD and it slung the insert then broke an ear off the axle. That cracked the C hub.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pickle311
I raced with a cracked C hub for 2 months just to see how long it would last. I finally changed it because I was sick of looking at it. The broken one is still in my box as a spare, I've already proven it's strong enough to work if I need it.
It didn't break from a crash either. I lost a pin in the front CVD and it slung the insert then broke an ear off the axle. That cracked the C hub.
hahaha Nice
Old 02-18-2010, 06:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I cracked a front a-arm near the inner hinge pin at a j concepts race during practice. well, the track didn't have a spare so I just decided to run it till it broke completely. I ended up TQ'ING pro truggy, I would have won the a-main, but I had a transponder issue that killed me in the end.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

i stopped buying spares for my xrays...honestly..i have a few spares and have had them for over a year...just normal routine things, i change like drive pins
Old 02-19-2010, 10:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MotoGod

Come on Scott, tell the truth.....with all those engine issues, you only got about 7 and half minutes of actual race time all of last season. A truggy made of glass would have lasted that long!

Sorry man, had to do it.....hopefully that Alpha will get you running for the long haul.

I have noticed one area on my OD that I'm not terribly happy with. I've bent 2 sets of lower hinge pins (inner front). Maybe it's because the holes in the arms that I had on the truck were wallowed out, or because I think I hit every stationary object on the track at my last race,I don't know.

I rebuilt the entire front end last night, so we'll see. If I keep bending pins, I'll have to get up with Steve O'Donnell to see if there's something I can do to minimize the bent pins (aside from driving better).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.