Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Narrowed it Down to O'Donnell, but still stuck... >

Narrowed it Down to O'Donnell, but still stuck...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Narrowed it Down to O'Donnell, but still stuck...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 08:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Narrowed it Down to O'Donnell, but still stuck...

Guys,

After a great deal of research, I’ve narrowed my selection down to either the O’Donnell Z-01B or the Z-01T. From what I’ve read, truggies tend to be a bit easier to drive, and drive fast, and bit more durable… Is that the case? I’ve been out of the hobby for some time now. I may do some racing, but whatever I pick will be mostly for enjoying on a home built track I will build in my backyard. I must admit, I like the looks of the buggy better, but if the truggy truly is easier to drive, that may be an advantage, as I will most likely teach my kids to drive. How much faster is the buggy?

Also, I’ve been looking at engines. I was leaning toward the SS .21, but also looking at the OS .28XZ. I’m open to suggestions on what will give me the best power/speed.

I’m grateful for any advice…
Old 02-15-2010, 09:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

It really depends on the track if a buggy or truggy will be faster. If a track is bumpier and ruff truggy has the advantage, if the track is smooth and technical buggy will be faster.

As for motor it really depends how much you want to speed.

For around $200 I recommend the Werks B5

For around $250 I recommend the Nova P5

For around $300 I recommend the OS V-Spec, NOVA +4C, NOVA +4, and JS Racing Motor.

For around $350 I recommend the Mugen Ninja JX.21, JS Racing Full Mod.

For around $500 I recommend the OS Speed .21

Prices are off the top of my head so they may be off a bit. And these are just the motors I can think of off the top of my head and ones I like in my opinion.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

Dont forget the RB K9. Its a killer engine to for 250.00 I think.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Then you might as well get a OFNA Force JL.21. Same exact engine as a K9 only cheaper.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks guys... I'm making myself nuts trying to pick a car... I have it down now between the Xray XT8 and the Z01-T.... Tough call. There is about a $60 price difference between the two. Xray is more...
Old 02-15-2010, 10:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default hmmmm

I like the xray buggy, but the truggy is ripe for a revamp. So if you do get the xray then if they make an all new one designed around the 808 buggy you may be like darn, but in all fairness I would have thought it would have happened already so maybe not. And the odonnell is a good truggy, It's based off of the kyosho 777...Not the newest of designs, but if you plan on racing in the backyard track its all good. Both truggies are really nice. That odonnell engine looks pretty good. Go for it....

Honestly the best setup for truggy in my opinion is the mugen mbx-6t with the novarossi p5xls, but the xray is so high quality...but the mugen is the newest version that will be out the longest at this time so it has an advantage along with classic mugen truggy reputation and durability and just flies over bumps....

My favorites.

Mbx6t w/p5, or werks b5

xray w/ p5, or werks b5

odonnell with odonell engine, just because....why not...
Old 02-16-2010, 03:22 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by GulfstreamIVCap
Guys,

After a great deal of research, I’ve narrowed my selection down to either the O’Donnell Z-01B or the Z-01T. From what I’ve read, truggies tend to be a bit easier to drive, and drive fast, and bit more durable… Is that the case? I’ve been out of the hobby for some time now. I may do some racing, but whatever I pick will be mostly for enjoying on a home built track I will build in my backyard. I must admit, I like the looks of the buggy better, but if the truggy truly is easier to drive, that may be an advantage, as I will most likely teach my kids to drive. How much faster is the buggy?
Acually, in my experience buggies are more durable than truggies. Longer a-arm w/ bigger, heavier tires hanging off them can cause a breaking issue. Truggies do drive easier, and lately have been posting faster times at many races, especially if the track is rough.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:50 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Why O'donnell?

Just curious. I ran the Z01-T for a short while. Now I'm running the MBX6T and love it. The O'donnell handles real well, but doesn't hold up to much abuse. I'm with Merideth on engine choice. The Nova P5 is a great motor for the truggy. ANY TRUGGY. And for the money, you can't beat it.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:30 AM
Tech Apprentice

I wouldnt recommend either one of those choices... Like mentioned they are both ready for updates, a new truggy is coming out soon for Odonnell and who knows with Xray.. Mugen is all up to date and doesnt have any issues and price is more than comparible...
as far as motors, if your a new guy to nitro I would recommend an OS based engine or the Odonnell engine, both are super easy to tune and hold it well.
the problem with engines is everyone will say they never had a problem with such and such brand, but its all crap. all engines nowadays are strong and fairly reliable but the OS,JX,OD engine are easier to tune on and keep running.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

I was in the same boat when I decided to get into the Truggy class this year. Most of the folks at my track run Losi, Mugen, or AE. I actually wanted to bring something new to the game, so I chose the Z01T.

I can't speak for durability of the truck compared to the other brands, but I'm fresh out of "truggy driver's ed", and my driving style at the moment resembles Helen Keller going around the track...I think I've hit everything on our track that you can possibly drive into!

I haven't broken a single part yet. The only thing that I'm watching for wear, or bending, is the center dogbones, and the smaller hinge pins.

I will say this though, O'Donnell has OUTSTANDING customer support. I asked a few questions in the Z01T thread, and Steve O'Donnell himself e-mailed me to talk about it. That's not something that I expected. We've talked several times since then about truck set up, and various other subjects.

I really don't think you can go wrong with any of the major brands, but I would offer this as advice. There are two things that you need to consider as your top decision makers.
1. What is the part's support by your local hobby shop (LHS). If you don't have a LHS that you buy from, or don't mind ordering parts online, then it's a moot point.
2. Try to visit a local off road track, talk to the drivers, and see if you can take a few laps with the various other brands. Most racers will be open to this, as long as you don't go crazy and make a kamikaze run.

Hope this helps. I feel for you....I was making myself crazy trying to decide which truggy to buy before finally choosing a path. Several folks have asked me if I would do it differently, and get one of the more popular brands at my track. Honestly, with the experience I've had with the truck so far, and the support that I've received from the O'Donnell team, and Steve O. himself, I'd make the same choice again.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:00 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

I was in the same boat a few months ago. I wanted to get a truggy and was between the Mugen, AE and O'donnell. I did some research and after reading the reviews I ended up with the Z01T. The way this thing came backed was amazing. Everything went together well. I had a seal missing for one of my shocks so I called them and in a few days not only did I have the seal but an entire new shock set. Their customer service is amazing.

On the track the truggy handles very well. Just on customer service alone I'd choose the Z01T again.

Alain
Old 02-16-2010, 06:33 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

if you really want the o donnell buggy or truggy i would wait till the updated version of both come out. the new buggy should be out in about a month the truggy not sure but i seen both this past weekend and talked to a team driver about the truggy and it was so much faster through the corners and better steering than the original zo1t. the buggy was also the same way. i recently bought a zo1t and have had good luck with it but the difference between the 2 is worth the wait
Old 02-16-2010, 10:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Team_Orange
if you really want the o donnell buggy or truggy i would wait till the updated version of both come out. the new buggy should be out in about a month the truggy not sure but i seen both this past weekend and talked to a team driver about the truggy and it was so much faster through the corners and better steering than the original zo1t. the buggy was also the same way. i recently bought a zo1t and have had good luck with it but the difference between the 2 is worth the wait
I spoke to Steve O'Donnell about the upgraded Truggy a couple of weeks ago. He wasn't able to give a date, but he did say that all of the components on the new version would be a direct bolt on for the current design, so that all of us existing owners could reap the benefits as well. He did indeed say that it makes the truck much more aggressive on the track.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a 2-in-1 kit offered for the Truggy as well. Either way, I'll be getting the upgrade kit when it's put on the market!
Old 02-16-2010, 04:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

thanks for the info stubbs i do recall now that he did say something about that i will be waiting patiently lol
Old 02-16-2010, 04:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I would personally recommend not to go for the OS .28 XZ. It's way too much engine than you need. If you stick to just back-yard racing, I guess it would not matter too much, but if you decide to switch over to actual racing, I would recommend sticking with a solid .21. There are several good brands on the market that make solid .21 engines. I personally prefer the OS Speed, but it does come with a price.

I love the Z01T. I am not sure why people are saying that it is not durable, as I have yet to break the first part on mine. The only thing that you will have to do is either set the droop correctly or get the aluminum shock cartridge, or you will run into shock issues. Once the vehicle is setup right, this is a none issue. I always liked my RC8T, which was a solid performer, but I like the Z01T better. It handles great, especially on rough tracks, has plenty of steering, is a stable jumper and is easy to control.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.