R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 02-14-2010, 04:47 PM   #1
JSR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Older vs latest truggy designs

My friend's looking for a truggy and we noticed the Jammin X2 CRTs are lower priced lately. So I searched for X2 threads and read in the X2 CRT thread that the drivers of the X2 CRT are having a hard time keeping up with the latest design truggies at the track such as Losi 8T 2.0s, RC8Ts, D8Ts, etc. The X2 isn't that old...only a couple of years. I can see there being a larger performance difference between my truggy (TTR ST-1) that's a 7yrs old design vs. the latest truggies that are longer, lighter, and more balanced due to specific placement of parts. But seeing as the X2 is only a couple of years old, is there really that much of a difference between a truggy design that's 2-3yrs old vs. the latest ones that are 0-1yrs old?
That makes me think of the Caster K8T/F8T which is an updated (by Caster) MBX5T design, so say it's an MBX5.5T. Drivers of those don't seem to have any problems with keeping up with the rest of the field (at least none I've seen reported), and that's as old, if not older, design than the X2 CRT.
Thanks for your insights.
JSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:12 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Assuming all the conditions are the same the new breed of trucks, 2.0T, D8T, MBX6T and RC8T are a lot faster and than the previous generation, the only old generation keeping up is the ST-RR and that's because it was the original stretched truggy design, but even that one is getting a facelift.
I am not sponsored, these are the products I chose to support.
Serpent SRX8, Sanwa M11s, Sanwa SRX-BX servos, Picco 5TB
RAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:12 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

i run an X2 truggy some in the pro truggy class and i do not have a hard time keeping up at all. everytime i race it i get top 3. its not the truggy its the driver. also a good setup and a good driver the X2 will SMOKE any truggy out there. im switching to an Z01-T sometime this year just because i like that truggy a little more but still the X2 is plenty good enough. its tough as nails and will not break ever. a guy crossed the pipes and hit me head on and we were both going wide open and when we hit his losi broke an A-arm and bent a few other things but mine just cracked the wheels and i ended up finishing the race and this happened at the beginning of the summer last year and im still running all of the same parts. all i have done is replaced the axils due to wear. great truggy worth every penny.
jmaxey51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:17 PM   #4
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAlmeida View Post
Assuming all the conditions are the same the new breed of trucks, 2.0T, D8T, MBX6T and RC8T are a lot faster and than the previous generation, the only old generation keeping up is the ST-RR and that's because it was the original stretched truggy design, but even that one is getting a facelift.
Very well said!

Yes the older truggies can keep up. Yes they can be competitive. BUT it's harder for them. Given the same conditions(driving skill, etc...) the newer trucks are faster. If you are looking to buy a new truggy it's worth while to get the latest.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:29 PM   #5
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY View Post
Very well said!

Yes the older truggies can keep up. Yes they can be competitive. BUT it's harder for them. Given the same conditions(driving skill, etc...) the newer trucks are faster. If you are looking to buy a new truggy it's worth while to get the latest.

is that the same for the losi eight-t 1.0 ,compared to the eight 2.0 t? i will be my first year running truggy. i raced a buggy last year. im gone to ,race in the sportsman truggy class.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:31 PM   #6
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
is that the same for the losi eight-t 1.0 ,compared to the eight 2.0 t? i will be my first year running truggy. i raced a buggy last year. im gone to ,race in the sportsman truggy class.
Yep same deal there. Although I have to say the 8T 1.0 was a very good truggy. 2.0 is far superior though.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:36 PM   #7
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY View Post
Yep same deal there. Although I have to say the 8T 1.0 was a very good truggy. 2.0 is far superior though.

cool i think if i can get it though my, head that i can drive harder cause im running a truggy i ,think il do good. later on i might get a 2.0 chassis though.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:24 PM   #8
JSR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I never thought the X2 was that old compared to the others. How about the Caster? Do they have trouble keeping up? Due to costs my friend is mainly looking at Caster and X2 CRT.
JSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:40 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

How about a brand new never opened 2008 XRAY XT8? You can save hundreds and get a great truggy brand new.I just happen to have one for saleshoot me a PM,I have a few new Go engines for sale too!
CHOAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:45 PM   #10
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have an x2 crt & while it is a good truggy it is a bit dated . I have noticed that i have to drive it harder , taking more chances to keep up with the newer one's out there . But i do have to say at this point the truck isn't holding me back . I have only been racing for 1 season now so i have some more to learn . I will prob. race it this season then get a new one for next season . If your friend can swing the extra money he may want to look at a newer design . But the x2 is very good for the price IMO .
romax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 07:21 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHOAS View Post
How about a brand new never opened 2008 XRAY XT8? You can save hundreds and get a great truggy brand new.I just happen to have one for saleshoot me a PM,I have a few new Go engines for sale too!
I run the 2008 XT8. The 2009 is 13mm longer, has lightened drivetrain components, big bore shocks, and carbon fiber parts like shock towers and servo tray (the older truck is aluminum. Also the front suspension was changed to use a "camber link" instead of an arm on the upper.

Now, that being said:

The XT8 is THE best quality made, bar none. Parts last longer than anything made.

I still run the old truck, but I've put on big bore shocks and upgraded the front to use a single camber link instead of a-arms. The shorter chassis is a little less stable in the rough, but it is still a great truck.

For a beginner vehicle, even with the smaller-bore shocks, it is a GREAT truck and is still competitive with the right driver. I love mine just the way it is. When the chassis is worn out, I'll upgrade (all it takes is chassis, rear center driveshaft, and motor mount- it uses the 808 style motor mount.) Until then, I'll keep pounding the &*$( out of it just the way it is.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 07:24 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

p.s. back to the original question:

I had a Jammin X1 (not X2) CRT. Drivetrain wear was significantly higher (twice as much, maybe more) than my XRAY. Other than that it was a good truck- stable and forgiving to drive, tough, could take a beating without failure.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:57 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR View Post
I never thought the X2 was that old compared to the others. How about the Caster? Do they have trouble keeping up? Due to costs my friend is mainly looking at Caster and X2 CRT.
caster IMO is way behind. i havent seen a truggy run and no one runs them around my area anymore because they say they can keep up at all. but thats just word to mouth so im just speaking from what i have heard. but the X2 is great and it doesnt wear or break like a losi. im not bashing losi because they are great truggies and buggies but they do wear quicker and break more often than others but maybe thats why they handle good. i have tried alot of buggies and truggies for a few tanks that people let me run some and by far my favorite is O'donnell but thats just driver preference.
jmaxey51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:03 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Fact: The X2 is BOMB PROOF. haha.

It's a *little* heavy, but they do have a lightweight frame that knocks off 50grams and if you swap out most of the 3 and 4mm nylocks to aluminum pieces and a set of Lunsford turnbuckles; you can get the truck's weight down pretty close to a box-stock Losi 2.0

On medium to large tracks; the X2 has no problem. On tighter tracks...yeah it can struggle a *little* if you're not aggressive with it. You have to DRIVE it to be fast and really stay on top of it. Can't back off and drive 8/10's...gotta be 9.5/10-10th's all the time.

I've heard a LOT (and noticed the factory drivers) converted to 0-offset wheels and ran Kyosho 9mm hubs. This narrows the overall track width of the truck and really lets it rotate/turn better. I watched several vids of Chad Bradley's truck with the 0-offset setup on a tight track...it wasn't holding him back. You do have to be pretty super-human to drive his base setup though with the 20k in the middle diff. 15k will fix that for most.

For a beginner...GREAT truck to start with as far as durability, parts availability and easy to work on/tune. NOT finnicky at all.

I probably would swap to 0-offset hubs for both the performance increase and so when/if you decide to sell/swap chassis you can keep your tires (and borrow from friends.)
Old 02-14-2010, 11:15 PM   #15
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I don't see anything wrong in driving an older truggy and improve your driving, and once you feel that your truggy is the only thing keeping you from cutting your lap time, then go ahead and upgrade to the latest platform of one of the known brands. (losi mugen, xray, ae). In the mean time beat the living $^@t out of your ride, try different setups and tires, time yourself and try to beat it.
TopGearRC is offline   Reply With Quote