R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 02-14-2010, 11:18 PM   #16
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

remember its 80% driver, 20% car, if your driving skills are good enough you should be pretty competitive with the people w/ the newer buggies. you'll win when they wonder what you're driving.
TopGearRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:05 AM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

my truck racing has gone - Losi LST - Hong nor CRT 1 - Xray XT8 - Associated RC8T - Mugen MBX6T

Taken over 5 years to learn / realise that driving on your lid and breakages are the biggest time wasters compared to the latest, greatest and lightest which could also be translated to the - not tested enough, gimmick and the most fragile.

My advise have a drive of a friends and if you like it buy the same so you will both have spare parts and great fun.
OZ RC Geebung, Team C 1/8th Buggy and Truggy
Bosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:47 AM   #18
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosh View Post
my truck racing has gone - Losi LST - Hong nor CRT 1 - Xray XT8 - Associated RC8T - Mugen MBX6T

Taken over 5 years to learn / realise that driving on your lid and breakages are the biggest time wasters compared to the latest, greatest and lightest which could also be translated to the - not tested enough, gimmick and the most fragile.

My advise have a drive of a friends and if you like it buy the same so you will both have spare parts and great fun.
Best thinking I've heard yet. Plus a good pit man.
The Working Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:44 PM   #19
JSR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Thanks for the info guys.

Regarding durability/fragility, I did notice my Losi 8T driveshafts were half the thickness of my old built-like-a-tank ST-1 driveshafts.
JSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:05 PM   #20
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

There's plenty of people that will bash losi for it's durability. And on that note, I call BS. Also, everyone is saying to buy the older truck and wait till you need the newer truck to be fast. I have to ask the question... WHY? Doesn't make sense to me. Why wouldn't you just spend a little more money now and buy the best? You WILL save money in the end, and have a more competitive vehicle. Just my 2 cents.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:06 PM   #21
Tech Fanatic
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY View Post
There's plenty of people that will bash losi for it's durability. And on that note, I call BS. Also, everyone is saying to buy the older truck and wait till you need the newer truck to be fast. I have to ask the question... WHY? Doesn't make sense to me. Why wouldn't you just spend a little more money now and buy the best? You WILL save money in the end, and have a more competitive vehicle. Just my 2 cents.
+1
I am not sponsored, these are the products I chose to support.
Serpent SRX8, Sanwa M11s, Sanwa SRX-BX servos, Picco 5TB
RAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:45 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

sure with the proper setup and great driving skills you can compete but most people buy the new vehicles because they improve upon solid designs and make them easier to drive harder and faster.
NitroLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:13 PM   #23
Tech Prophet

to me if your a good enough driver and, own a older truggy with the right setup i cant see why you cant compete, with the new lighter buggys. and really if you want to, upgrade to newer parts. that a new truggy has just upgrade little by little.
tc5 man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:25 PM   #24
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
to me if your a good enough driver and, own a older truggy with the right setup i cant see why you cant compete, with the new lighter buggys. and really if you want to, upgrade to newer parts. that a new truggy has just upgrade little by little.
+1 on that

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY View Post
not saying to buy an older car, just saying that if you already have an older one and you are learning to drive, or relatively new to the hobby then do not spend another thou on a new buggy just because pro's say it will cut your run time by half... the most important thing is to learn to drive first and when it comes to the point where only thing holding you back is an out dated model buggy then go ahead and upgrade the the newest set of wheels. You will be a better driver for 2 reasons one is obviously because of the better geometry of the new car secondly because you would be so used to driving extra careful to compensate for the older model you used to drag around the track, so you would automatically cut you time by at least a lap or so.
TopGearRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:44 PM   #25
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjqkz View Post
+1 on that

not saying to buy an older car, just saying that if you already have an older one and you are learning to drive, or relatively new to the hobby then do not spend another thou on a new buggy just because pro's say it will cut your run time by half... the most important thing is to learn to drive first and when it comes to the point where only thing holding you back is an out dated model buggy then go ahead and upgrade the the newest set of wheels. You will be a better driver for 2 reasons one is obviously because of the better geometry of the new car secondly because you would be so used to driving extra careful to compensate for the older model you used to drag around the track, so you would automatically cut you time by at least a lap or so.

+ 1 on that i can see if your a pro that travels, around the states and goes to nothing but big races. but for club racing (point raceing), you will do fine with a older model.
tc5 man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 05:38 AM   #26
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjqkz View Post
I don't see anything wrong in driving an older truggy and improve your driving, and once you feel that your truggy is the only thing keeping you from cutting your lap time, then go ahead and upgrade to the latest platform of one of the known brands. (losi mugen, xray, ae). In the mean time beat the living $^@t out of your ride, try different setups and tires, time yourself and try to beat it.
+1
Old 02-17-2010, 07:05 AM   #27
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I drove an MBX5t all last year. I firmly believed that it was just as competitive as the newer trucks. Then I drove a buddy's 6T and oh my god that thing was so fast and so easy to drive. It was like cheating compared to my 5T and I had a really good setup on it to. So yes in my opinion the newer trucks have a pretty sizeable advantage over the older trucks.

If you want a newer design atr a low cost I would say look into the Hotbodies D8T. Lower initial cost and the parts are pretty inexpensive aswell.
matrixmike28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:31 AM   #28
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If you already own a last gen vehicle and racing just at a club and not at a professional level I don't see the need in having to buy another car just because they released a newer version of your car.

If you are getting into racing and don't have a vehicle yet I would spend the money up front and get a newer design vehicle. A Losi 8ight-T 2.0 RTR would be an awesome first racer and comes with basically everything needed to go racing. Then upgrade the RTR parts with the upgraded parts as parts break or get worn out. Thats what I am doing with my 8ight-T 2.0 RTR converted to electric and am doing very good with it. I can keep up with people running the roller kits or the fully upgraded kits easily worth $1000+.

If you are not able to run a 5min qualifier with only 1-2 mistakes needing a marshal there is almost no need to running the new gen or high dollar kits in my opinion.
shanty140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:37 AM   #29
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

The thing I found to be the biggest difference is the weight. I drove my Xray XB8 for a few years and did okay. This year I bought a new 808 and put the same engine servos from my XB8 into my 808 and I was surprised to see the difference. The jumps I was not able to make all the time I was over shooting easily now. I also didnít have to slow down as much for the rough parts of the track.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:15 AM   #30
Tech Elite

I know this was not a choice - but get the LOSI RTR - and upgrade from there.

Compared truck to truck, the older stuff is outdated and slower. Now a driver can make a difference...

I say you will be pissed if you get a old truggy and find out that new generations is right around the corner. Support is wearing thin. for most companies, once they come out with a new verison the parts stop being produced for the older.. so its just a matter of time........