Community
Wiki Posts
Search

engine warmer qustions

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 01:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The engine warmer is far superior and convenient. Think of the engine warmer as an oven and the heat gun as a microwave. The engine warmer must be on longer but will heat up the internals of the motor much more thoroughly, then the heat gun. The heat gun will work but the extra $40 to $50 you will spend on the warmer is well worth it. You don't have to rush back to your pits to heat your motor before your heat if your out helping pit or track maintenance. You can leave the engine warmer on for hours. The longest I have ever left mine on for is an hour and it temped at 230, the chassis was at 90. So the heat will transfer down into the chassis.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:08 PM
Tech Lord

A simple hairdryer can heat up the engine up to 50 degrees C (122 F) and in most cases it is enough to start a new or just runned in engine much easier.
A cheap hairdryer can cost you about 15 bucks.

For the heavier job I have a heatgun to remove paint, if you take a search you can find them cheap at any hardware store. With this it is easy to heat up an engine up to 80 C (176 F) and even more.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:43 PM
Tech Elite

A heat gun or hair dryer won't get the job done for me. I use the warmer before I start my engine every time. I won't even start my engine till it's warmed up. If you do this you will be surprised at the difference. Some may not agree and I'm fine with that. We all are responsible for ourselves and no one else.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

what im trying to do is get my engine warmed up quick,if i decide to take my BUGGY out say to the park i can throw it in the car drive to the park heat the engine to ABOUT 180-200 AND GO.how long will it take one of these warmers to get up to starting temp,i due have an inverter that will work.so i guess i would place the inverter onto the car battery than plug the warmer into the the inverter,thats the way it works right?
Old 02-14-2010, 03:25 PM
Tech Adept

go to your local big orange box and get a wagner heat gun for only 20 bucks, heats it up preeety quick and can't beat the price. Be careful, I can light smokes with it so it gets verry hot.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chris Reilly
A heat gun or hair dryer won't get the job done for me. I use the warmer before I start my engine every time. I won't even start my engine till it's warmed up. If you do this you will be surprised at the difference. Some may not agree and I'm fine with that. We all are responsible for ourselves and no one else.
I use a heat gun and can easly get my motor to 200*F. I wont start my race motor unless its preheated either. It saves in the motor and the starterbox.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

The heater takes about 15 minutes to thoroughly heat the engine. A lot of people will tell you a heat gun and while it does heat up the top of the engines to relieve the mechanical pinch, it does not heat saturate the rod, bearings, case, carb etc and it also can distort and make the sleeve egg shaped is too much heat is concentrated in areas which results in blowbye and uneven wear that could result in premature failure or retirement. The best way to heat the engine is slowly and evenly.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

A heat gun more than likely won't work off a regular size inverter. Anything that creates large amounts of heat quickly will draw a significant amount of current. I can set my warmer on and it does take about 10 minutes to get to about 180 to 190. In my opinion the warmer is far better as it will heat the entire crankcase and internals. Back to the microwave analogy. When you heat something very fast the internals don't get near as much heat. When you look at the big picture of how much most people spend it is well worth an extra $50 to have the convienance of the warmer. But if you are only interested in going to the park and bashing you may not like the convienace of putting it on the warmer and come back 15 minutes latter and throw it on the box and go.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

I originally used a heat gun, but a buddy of mine showed me one of Mark's motor heaters, and I figured I'd give it a try. Believe me when I say this.....it's WAY more convenient than a heat gun.

My first time using it was at my last race, where the temp was 34 deg. in the morning, and got up to around 45 as the day went on. I had my motor heater on the head, covered with a piece of foil, for most of the day (only taking it off for heats, or to work on the car). Everytime I would go out to race, it only took a quick bump on the box to get the motor running, and since it was already up to temp, I was able to get right out on the track. The temp at the glow plug was right around 180, and the engine case was about 117 (no foil down there). Since it only uses as much power as a small light bulb, my generator didn't even know it was there.

Honestly, since that race, I've been recommending the Powerhouse warmer to everyone I can think of. Sure, other heating methods will work, sort of, but the only way to really get a good heat soak all the way down to the chassis, and still be convient, is with one of these.

Since it take so little power, you can run a low wattage power inverter off of your car battery, or whatever DC power source you already have. There's no way you could do that with a heat gun or hair dryer. If you've got a generator, that's even better. What's great is that you don't need a huge generator to use Mark's heaters, also like you'd need for a heat gun. Even if you just have a little 1000W ETQ from Harbor Freight, it'll power the heater, and still have enough left for a small compressor and battery charger.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

mark from power house what price for delivery of the engine warmer to aus
thanks how would be the best to power it looks good for a try and the info u stated is correct
Old 02-14-2010, 05:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

I will pm you the price. You can use a DC power inverter as mentioned in the previous posts.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

[quote=PowerHouse;7005496]I will pm you the price. You can use a DC power inverter as mentioned in the previous post
ok thanks mark
Old 02-14-2010, 07:31 PM
Tech Regular

Just wait until March
Old 02-14-2010, 08:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kalgard Racing
Just wait until March
Old 02-14-2010, 08:42 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Cory Kerber
It is gonna kick Arse!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.