R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 02-14-2010, 06:00 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Angry t maxx no top speed

i just got a new t maxx 3.3 has the t maxx pipe an filter did the break in an had it tuned at the local shop i have ran a few tanks throw it 10 or so but it spits out a lot of fuel when cold an have been throw about 4 plugs an losses all power around 2nd like it will run fine for about 50 ft then loses power an it will just keep slowing down till u let off the gas but will be fine when u get back on it for about 50 ft again will shift it to second when held in hand
joshuatrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:38 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

It's kinda hard to understand what your typing. But does the motor continue to spit fuel out of the pipe after it has warmed up? Anyways what I would recommend is make sure the needles are at factory settings.

High Speed Needle: 4 turns out from closed
Low Speed Needle: Needle is flush with the end of the slide. (There is a picture in your manual that will show exactly what I am talking about)
Idle gap should be about 1mm with the brakes applied.

When you screws in the needles be very careful and don't keep turning them when it's closed.

With you needles at factory you should be a little on the rich side. So first adjust the high speed needle. Lean the motor out 1/8th turns at a time. Every time you lean it out, go run it for a bit, the performance should seem better. Keep on leaning you motor 1/8th turns until you no longer see an improvement in top end performance. At this time, richen the needle 1/8th turn back. Your high speed needle should now be set. When your give you T-Maxx gas, there should always be blue smoke coming out of the pipe.

Next adjust your low speed needle. After doing a high speed pass, quickly bring the T-Maxx to you and pinch the fuel line 1 inch from the carb. The truck should idle for about 3-5 seconds then rev up and die. If the motor does not idle for 3-5 second and the motor does not rev up before it dies it is to lean and should be richened a bit. If the truck idles longer then 3-5 seconds then revs up and dies it is to rich and should be leaned out a bit. Always adjust you needles no more then 1/8th at a time.

This way of tuning is good for the beginner nitro rc user.

The DVD that comes with the T-Maxx should show you how to tune your vehicle as well.
shanty140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:47 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Forgot to mention to, if you have a temp gun it can help beginners know how there motor is running. If you have a temp gun don't let it become you slave and only tune by temp. It should only be used as a reference. You should tune for performance, sound, and smoke.

If you have a temp gun, the TRX3.3 motor likes to run at about 200-250 but you can go a bit higher without a problem. But I always shoot to be in the 200-250 temp range. Also make sure you engine is getting hot enough, a motor running below 200*F is just a bad as running a motor to lean. When running below 200*F the sleeve does not expand enough, and the the piston slams up and down it.
shanty140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:58 AM   #4
Tech Apprentice

yea once it warms up it stops spiting fuel but i have a hard time keeping it at the right temp iam going to wait till it warms up i think that might help or go run it at a in door arena
Old 02-14-2010, 10:36 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jbright33

i raced mt for years and it sounds like its either your shift point needs adjusted or your rich
Old 02-14-2010, 10:49 AM   #6
Tech Apprentice

yea it shifts if its in my had but never while driving an not to sure about being to rich
Old 02-14-2010, 10:58 AM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jbright33

the setscrew for the shift points are known for lossening and tightning on there own when running.if it feels sluggish it probubly loosend if it feels snappy but not top end then it probulby tightend up.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:08 AM   #8
Tech Apprentice

no its fine to the point of shifting it just losses all power right before or after it should shift iam starting to think it maybe to lean but its to cool out to tune it i have a hard time holding temp its 11 out right now i have a indoor place i like to go to but i fry the plug all the time
Old 02-14-2010, 11:21 AM   #9
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

How much is it smoking? It sounds like its too rich, my slayer will do the same thing. Are the glow plugs wet when you take them out? If so then it is too rich, read the manual and watch the dvd that came with the truck. It will walk you thru basic tuning for it.
cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:32 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

judging by your post It seems as though you're rich...you'll never get a good top speed unless you're tuned in good...once you get a good tune if it's still not fast/shifting lower your engage point until you are satisfied with the performance.
NitroLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 01:26 PM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

to me as you described it sounds that you are rich on the low needle and really lean on the high end so when you open it up and burn the excess fuel loaded in the case from runnin at idle it is not getting fuel and then temps will go up and burn out the glo plug. also i imagine that the smoke stops coming out when its losing power. i would check the pressure line from the pipe to the tank for any breaks and check the tank seal. then if that checks out richen the high end needle and lean the low end needle. what glo plug are you running in it?
MontanaMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:39 PM   #12
Tech Apprentice

thanks guy i will try to make it to a trake this week an try to set it better
Old 03-06-2010, 10:45 AM   #13
Tech Apprentice

Default fixed

all right guy i have had the first nice day to get it out an tune it the shop i took it to must of let a 5 year old work on it i dont even understand how it started but pretty much the idel was to rich an the high end was to lean with a lot of tuning its running like a champ
Old 03-06-2010, 05:00 PM   #14
Tech Rookie

Default rich

sounds like the carb needs to be leaned out from your description. what does it temp at after being warmed up? check temp, and if below 180, then lean out in slow increments and see if this fixes the issue.