Wiki Posts
Search

dummie lipo questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 02:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)
Default dummie lipo questions

Ok first off. I know nothing about lipos. I have run nimh forever. Only reason Im thinking of going lipo is my rx battery took a dump. So I guess its time to come out of the stone age. My charger is a lrp pulsar. Im 99.9% sure it wont charge lipos. So I need advise on a charger as well. I run a rc8b and a mbx6t. So please guide me in the direction I need to go. Im not looking to spend a whole bunch so I dont need the best charger, just something for my rx batterys and my igniter would be a big plus. I have a horror stories of lipos blowing up so I want the safest batteries possible. Any links to batteries would be great. Also I have heard I may need a balancer as well?
Old 03-06-2010, 03:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tony montana
Ok first off. I know nothing about lipos. I have run nimh forever. Only reason Im thinking of going lipo is my rx battery took a dump. So I guess its time to come out of the stone age. My charger is a lrp pulsar. Im 99.9% sure it wont charge lipos. So I need advise on a charger as well. I run a rc8b and a mbx6t. So please guide me in the direction I need to go. Im not looking to spend a whole bunch so I dont need the best charger, just something for my rx batterys and my igniter would be a big plus. I have a horror stories of lipos blowing up so I want the safest batteries possible. Any links to batteries would be great. Also I have heard I may need a balancer as well?
Yes Lipo's can blow up, BUT if you are smart with them you shouldn't have a problem. For example look for signs of damage to the pack before charging. Such as ballooning. Charge at the right amount, etc. If you be smart you shouldn't have a problem.

I don't know about the RC8B, but the Mugen, I would recommend the following.
http://www.promatchracing.com/prodde...hp?prod=2S2300

It is suspected to be the same pack as the Protek battery a lot of people use from Amain, but half the price.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:27 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tony montana
you might want to consider LIFE rx packs instead of LIPO. no regulators , no explostions, no worries just like nimh only better. you would need a charger that charges it though.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:33 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

You can get a Thunder AC-6 balancing charger from Hobbypartz for $55. It is AC/DC and will charge Lipo, NiMh, LiFe and other chemistries -

http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html
Old 03-06-2010, 03:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Duster_360
You can get a Thunder AC-6 balancing charger from Hobbypartz for $55. It is AC/DC and will charge Lipo, NiMh, LiFe and other chemistries -

http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html
+1 I have been using this charger for awhile now with no problems.

And the LIFE batteries are great...
Old 03-06-2010, 03:42 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

LIPOS are dangerous. I havent had any issues but I always charge them in a lipo bag and always balance charge them. Do yourself a favor and invest in a good charger that will balance charge, You will have it for awhile and you dont have to worry about it.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I don't run a RC8 or MBX6T but this is what i use:

Charger:
http://cgi.ebay.com/iMAX-B6-Lipo-NiM...item414d916663

Battery:
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store..._Receiver_Pack_
Old 03-06-2010, 04:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

This one will work with the mbx6/t http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...mAh-No-Balance

I love lipos. The most I have pushed mine was 100 minutes without charging. We did a 5 hour enduro and changed the battery out every 100 minutes (twice), thats over 1 1/2 hours. Im pretty confident we could have gone another 20 minutes to make it 2 hours, but i didnt want to push it.
This was in the truggy using hitec 985 and 5955 with no regulator.