R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 02-13-2010, 09:03 AM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Getting the tires off the wheel

Hey guys, I know this has been posted before but I cant find it. What is the easiest way to get the tires off the wheel? Thanks in advance.....
hdcruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:07 AM   #2
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

i have been using acetone in a 5 gallon sealed bucket these past couple weeks with great success. it takes longer than baking or boiling, but it gets all the glue off.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:27 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

how long would you have to boil it?

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:53 AM   #4
Tech Regular

I use a saucpan of boiling water, takes around 15mins, the tyres peel off after that.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:58 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)
Default same

same as badjams.....i do exactly the same and works perfect...only bad thing do not acetone clay compound rubber as it causes them to shrink...all others have been fine....plus dont plan on reusing ur foams cause they are trashed after soaking in acetone
Rangers Lead the Way!! Team Hotbodies Driver Hara D8 OS Speed XZB Hara Ed D8T OS Speed XZB Hara Ed Ve8 Tekin RX8 1400kv UP Grade Graphics Hitec DX3R PRO RayAracing.com RAPICON 30/9 Race Blend Jammin SCRT10 4x4 Tekin RX8 4.5T SMC Hotbodies Tires Thankyou HPI-Hotbodies & Pro-Line
bcarter007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:38 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WheelNut

There is a video on the Pro-line website showing Atushi Hara simply cutting his buggy tires off the wheels right along the bead. That's how he changes his foam inserts. You could do the same thing with VTR truggy tires.

Does boiling wreck molded or AKA style foams? I haven't boiled a set of tires off in years.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:24 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarter007 View Post
same as badjams.....i do exactly the same and works perfect...only bad thing do not acetone clay compound rubber as it causes them to shrink...all others have been fine....plus dont plan on reusing ur foams cause they are trashed after soaking in acetone
If the tire is junk just cut it down the center and take the foam out. If the tire and foam are good just suspend them above the acetone in an air tight contaner. I had two wheels with stripped wheel hexes and the tires were brand new. I just use a few string of fishing line to suspend the tires above the acetone and put the lid on tight and forget about it. The foams and tires are perfect as whith the wheels. best method out there.
---Xray, RC America, Pro-Line Racing, FX Royal, Hudy, KO Propo, 92zero Designs, Vision Racing Products, RW-Mods, Team Loosenuts, forddesigns.net--- Big Thanks to: Wheel Brokers Track and Shop, Pine City MN~ "Stompy"
rider313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:11 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I tried just putting a set in the microwave just to see what it would do, the tires were good but had cracked wheels, and worn out foams.

It took about 15 seconds to loosen up the glue enough to peel the tires right off...

Note: If your trying to save the wheels i wouldn't atempt this, as it causes them to get soft...

The tires on the other hand were not harmed and ran great on new wheels and foams...
RC-BATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 02:25 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to kaptain crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC-BATT View Post
I tried just putting a set in the microwave just to see what it would do, the tires were good but had cracked wheels, and worn out foams.

It took about 15 seconds to loosen up the glue enough to peel the tires right off...

Note: If your trying to save the wheels i wouldn't atempt this, as it causes them to get soft...

The tires on the other hand were not harmed and ran great on new wheels and foams...
Thats cool .....never tried that one, always baked mine.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:30 PM   #10
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Acetone is my favorite.....I found baking to leave a hard residue of glue that was a challenge to deal with....Boiling never seemed to work out that well...and the Microwave is a New one i haven't heard yet.....what does the wife have to say about that.....mmm rubber/glue popcorn.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 02:44 PM   #11
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
Acetone is my favorite.....I found baking to leave a hard residue of glue that was a challenge to deal with....Boiling never seemed to work out that well...and the Microwave is a New one i haven't heard yet.....what does the wife have to say about that.....mmm rubber/glue popcorn.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:54 PM   #12
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
Yeah you would think the oder would be overwelming, but actually there was very little oder at all. Its not like when you bake them in the oven for 15 or 20 minutes (done that) won't do again in my house.

The wify never even noticed that i did them..ha ha got to be sneaky...

Im not telling you guys this is the best way to remove tires, i was in a rush and said what the hell, bam it worked like a charm...
RC-BATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 02:57 PM   #13
Tech Master

Quote:
Yeah you would think the oder would be overwelming, but actually there was very little oder at all. Its not like when you bake them in the oven for 15 or 20 minutes (done that) won't do again in my house.

I not telling you guys this is this best way do remove tires, i was in a rush and said what the hell, bam it worked like a charm...
Well thanks dude...have to give it a try next time.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:01 PM   #14
Tech Master

Quote:

Im not telling you guys this is the best way to remove tires, i was in a rush and said what the hell, bam it worked like a charm...
I left them in the oven to long one time...forgot about them ....smelt something strange....them prolines are still overly stickly
Old 02-13-2010, 03:06 PM   #15
Tech Master

think ill give that ACETONE a try too