R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Getting the tires off the wheel (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/370314-getting-tires-off-wheel.html)

hdcruzer 02-13-2010 09:03 AM

Getting the tires off the wheel

Hey guys, I know this has been posted before but I cant find it. What is the easiest way to get the tires off the wheel? Thanks in advance.....

badjams 02-13-2010 09:07 AM

i have been using acetone in a 5 gallon sealed bucket these past couple weeks with great success. it takes longer than baking or boiling, but it gets all the glue off.

dreaux 02-13-2010 09:27 AM

how long would you have to boil it?

Chris-s 02-13-2010 09:53 AM

I use a saucpan of boiling water, takes around 15mins, the tyres peel off after that.

bcarter007 02-13-2010 09:58 AM

same

same as badjams.....i do exactly the same and works perfect...only bad thing do not acetone clay compound rubber as it causes them to shrink...all others have been fine....plus dont plan on reusing ur foams cause they are trashed after soaking in acetone

WheelNut 02-13-2010 10:38 AM

There is a video on the Pro-line website showing Atushi Hara simply cutting his buggy tires off the wheels right along the bead. That's how he changes his foam inserts. You could do the same thing with VTR truggy tires.

Does boiling wreck molded or AKA style foams? I haven't boiled a set of tires off in years.

rider313 02-13-2010 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by bcarter007 (Post 7000408)
same as badjams.....i do exactly the same and works perfect...only bad thing do not acetone clay compound rubber as it causes them to shrink...all others have been fine....plus dont plan on reusing ur foams cause they are trashed after soaking in acetone

If the tire is junk just cut it down the center and take the foam out. If the tire and foam are good just suspend them above the acetone in an air tight contaner. I had two wheels with stripped wheel hexes and the tires were brand new. I just use a few string of fishing line to suspend the tires above the acetone and put the lid on tight and forget about it. The foams and tires are perfect as whith the wheels. best method out there.

RC-BATT 02-13-2010 01:11 PM

I tried just putting a set in the microwave just to see what it would do, the tires were good but had cracked wheels, and worn out foams.

It took about 15 seconds to loosen up the glue enough to peel the tires right off...

Note: If your trying to save the wheels i wouldn't atempt this, as it causes them to get soft...

The tires on the other hand were not harmed and ran great on new wheels and foams...

kaptain crash 02-13-2010 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by RC-BATT (Post 7000884)
I tried just putting a set in the microwave just to see what it would do, the tires were good but had cracked wheels, and worn out foams.

It took about 15 seconds to loosen up the glue enough to peel the tires right off...

Note: If your trying to save the wheels i wouldn't atempt this, as it causes them to get soft...

The tires on the other hand were not harmed and ran great on new wheels and foams...

Thats cool .....never tried that one, always baked mine.

Integra 02-13-2010 02:30 PM

Acetone is my favorite.....I found baking to leave a hard residue of glue that was a challenge to deal with....Boiling never seemed to work out that well...and the Microwave is a New one i haven't heard yet.....what does the wife have to say about that.....mmm rubber/glue popcorn. :lol:

kaptain crash 02-13-2010 02:44 PM

:D;)

Originally Posted by Integra (Post 7001085)
Acetone is my favorite.....I found baking to leave a hard residue of glue that was a challenge to deal with....Boiling never seemed to work out that well...and the Microwave is a New one i haven't heard yet.....what does the wife have to say about that.....mmm rubber/glue popcorn. :lol:

:D:lol::D:lol::D

RC-BATT 02-13-2010 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Integra (Post 7001085)

Yeah you would think the oder would be overwelming, but actually there was very little oder at all. Its not like when you bake them in the oven for 15 or 20 minutes (done that) won't do again in my house.

The wify never even noticed that i did them..ha ha got to be sneaky...

Im not telling you guys this is the best way to remove tires, i was in a rush and said what the hell, bam it worked like a charm...;)

kaptain crash 02-13-2010 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by RC-BATT (Post 7001142)
Yeah you would think the oder would be overwelming, but actually there was very little oder at all. Its not like when you bake them in the oven for 15 or 20 minutes (done that) won't do again in my house.

I not telling you guys this is this best way do remove tires, i was in a rush and said what the hell, bam it worked like a charm...;)

Well thanks dude...have to give it a try next time.:nod:

kaptain crash 02-13-2010 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by RC-BATT (Post 7001142)

Im not telling you guys this is the best way to remove tires, i was in a rush and said what the hell, bam it worked like a charm...;)

I left them in the oven to long one time...forgot about them :lol::lol::lol:....smelt something strange....them prolines are still overly stickly:lol::lol::lol:

kaptain crash 02-13-2010 03:06 PM

think ill give that ACETONE a try too