R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 02-12-2010, 03:09 PM   #16
Tech Fanatic

I like set-up gauges. I've had the benefit of trying every type of gauge and, while I think I'm a little uptight when it comes to set-up, it does make a difference.

The basic camber gauge isn't very useful to me. Even when used properly, you're relying on your wheels being true, and that the tire isn't deformed or pushed to one side from an out-of-place foam insert. Plus, accurate measurement of the suspension geometry requires that the suspension fully "unload" so there's no tension pulling the suspension components to the limit of its tolerances. For example, if you pull outward on the top of any wheel, there's going to be some slop because all the various suspension components will have a little tolerance. Also, your front tires have to be point exactly straight ahead to get an accurate camber measurement. the amount of caster in the steering means that there's ever increasing amounts of camber too. You can set each wheel to straight ahead with set-up gauges so your camber measurement isn't off. So, measuring with the tires mounted in place is mostly useless for me.

The next most practical option is to install set-up wheels. They're generally aluminum and they allow the suspension to move around a little more, and they're not going to be bent from contact with the outside wall. You're limited to camber adjustment still, but it's a step better than just a camber gauge.

A set-up system like the one from Hudy is a pretty big jump in precision, and you can measure more parameters. The board is an important part of the system because it's got a slick surface that allows the set-up plates to move around and lets the suspension settle. With the gauges attached, you can precisely measure caster, front camber, rear camber, front toe, rear toe, front track, rear track, and Ackerman. Yes, set-up systems can be costly, but there are some that cost more than others. No, they don't drive the car for you, so it's not going to move you from the C-main to the A-main. But if you have the money and don't mind parting with some of it to get your suspension dialed in better than with any other method, I think it's a good investment.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:41 PM   #17
LMB
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
I like set-up gauges. I've had the benefit of trying every type of gauge and, while I think I'm a little uptight when it comes to set-up, it does make a difference.

The basic camber gauge isn't very useful to me. Even when used properly, you're relying on your wheels being true, and that the tire isn't deformed or pushed to one side from an out-of-place foam insert. Plus, accurate measurement of the suspension geometry requires that the suspension fully "unload" so there's no tension pulling the suspension components to the limit of its tolerances. For example, if you pull outward on the top of any wheel, there's going to be some slop because all the various suspension components will have a little tolerance. Also, your front tires have to be point exactly straight ahead to get an accurate camber measurement. the amount of caster in the steering means that there's ever increasing amounts of camber too. You can set each wheel to straight ahead with set-up gauges so your camber measurement isn't off. So, measuring with the tires mounted in place is mostly useless for me.

The next most practical option is to install set-up wheels. They're generally aluminum and they allow the suspension to move around a little more, and they're not going to be bent from contact with the outside wall. You're limited to camber adjustment still, but it's a step better than just a camber gauge.

A set-up system like the one from Hudy is a pretty big jump in precision, and you can measure more parameters. The board is an important part of the system because it's got a slick surface that allows the set-up plates to move around and lets the suspension settle. With the gauges attached, you can precisely measure caster, front camber, rear camber, front toe, rear toe, front track, rear track, and Ackerman. Yes, set-up systems can be costly, but there are some that cost more than others. No, they don't drive the car for you, so it's not going to move you from the C-main to the A-main. But if you have the money and don't mind parting with some of it to get your suspension dialed in better than with any other method, I think it's a good investment.
Totally worth it, especially with the 3 degrees of slop in a losi or hb buggy!!
LMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:18 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB View Post
Totally worth it, especially with the 3 degrees of slop in a losi or hb buggy!!
I wasn't EVEN going to go there!
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:32 PM   #19
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickle311 View Post
Confidence goes a LONG ways in racing and women.
+1 I use the hudy gauges before every race day, and every morning at multiple day events. It may not make a difference to some, but it does for me. As for slop in the suspension, I usually tighten mine up(shims/new parts) on a regular basis.
Team Trinity
Miniracer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:04 PM   #20
Tech Fanatic

If you let it get that sloppy in the first place a setup station or gauges will do you no good.

I have the hudy station it does make a hugh differents
pdmustgt is offline   Reply With Quote