R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-11-2010, 01:48 PM   #16
Tech Prophet
 
tc5 man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: levittown pa
Posts: 16,872
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimlock212 View Post
I just picked it up yesterday and I haven't driven/raced it yet. The engine is still on the way from Canada and I need to wait to get my Ten-T back from Losi so I have a radio since I am using the DX3S.

Losi is going through my Ten-T due to several issues including the OWB. They are hoping to ship it back to me today.









dam nice man thats a pretty penny on the servos lol, i still debateing if i want to get a hitec servo, for my truggy.since i had, constant problems with the centering of the cheaper hitec diginal servos



i run the eight 1.0 by the way

Last edited by tc5 man; 02-11-2010 at 01:59 PM.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:51 PM   #17
Tech Regular
 
Grimlock212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 382
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
dam nice man thats a pretty penny on the servos lol, i still debateing if i want to get a hitec servo, for my truggy.since i had constant problems centering problems with ,the cheaper dingal servos.



i run the eight 1.0 by the way
I paid $200 for the 2 servos. I was originally going to go with the 7950/7940 combo, until I researched them on this forum.
__________________
Grimlock212
Losi 8ight 2.0: Clockwork Racing Engines JLR .21, Hitec 7955tg x2, Spektrum DX3S
Losi 8ight-T 2.0: Clockwork Racing Engines JLR .21, Hitec 7955tg x2, Spektrum DX3S
Losi Ten-T: 7/7/2, Kingpin tires, optional Losi Springs, Spektrum DX3S
Nor-Cal Hobbies: Union City, CA
Grimlock212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:55 PM   #18
Tech Prophet
 
tc5 man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: levittown pa
Posts: 16,872
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimlock212 View Post
I paid $200 for the 2 servos. I was originally going to go with the 7950/7940 combo, until I researched them on this forum.

me and you know guys on this forum, have diffrent opinions on servos.
belive it or not i had really good, luck with a $95 futaba coreless diginal servo and a orion vortex servo, on my 1/8 buggy.with centering etc.


anyways the eight buggy jumps ,really good and just floats in the air.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 02:05 PM   #19
Tech Champion
 
Maximo's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,900
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimlock212 View Post
Head to the Losi forums and read up. http://forum.losi.com/showthread.php?t=1735

There are several major threads on it. My current theory is that there is an issue with the back plate leaking on some of these. My OWB worked fine for weeks and then started slipping. Clean it out and it would run for a day and start slipping. Replace the OWB and it would start slipping again in a day. So I think there is more to it than just a OWB issue. Something is causing it to slip repeatedly.
did you change the OWB shaft when you changed the OWB ? the shaft is actually softer then the bearings, so if the OWb has worn out so has the shaft...replacing the OWB without replacing the shaft will result in slipping right away......When a OWB starts to slip you need to stop imediately and flush the engine with WD40..If you continue to try to start it with a slipping OWB you are just wearing out the shaft and bearings, as soon as its slipping its causing damage....some fuels oil package causes OWB's to slip very easily, some fuels work awesome with OWB, others can be a nightmare...... WD40 will degum the OWB instantly, you just need to give it about 10 minute to evaporate out of the engine before you run... Everything your describing sounds like typical OWB behavior, which is why I much prefer a bump box..... Plus the OWB shaft/backplate bushing can cause a huge air leak and make tuning difficult...
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 02:33 PM   #20
Tech Regular
 
Grimlock212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 382
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
did you change the OWB shaft when you changed the OWB ? the shaft is actually softer then the bearings, so if the OWb has worn out so has the shaft...replacing the OWB without replacing the shaft will result in slipping right away......When a OWB starts to slip you need to stop imediately and flush the engine with WD40..If you continue to try to start it with a slipping OWB you are just wearing out the shaft and bearings, as soon as its slipping its causing damage....some fuels oil package causes OWB's to slip very easily, some fuels work awesome with OWB, others can be a nightmare...... WD40 will degum the OWB instantly, you just need to give it about 10 minute to evaporate out of the engine before you run... Everything your describing sounds like typical OWB behavior, which is why I much prefer a bump box..... Plus the OWB shaft/backplate bushing can cause a huge air leak and make tuning difficult...
I don't think any of that will be an issue since I think they are giving me a new engine and ROSS (among other things.) I never used WD40, I would usually clean the shaft with a Q-tip and Simple Green and clean out the OWB similarly.

There are a lot of guys with lots of experience having issues with the OWB. I never owned a Traxxas with the OWB, but I know many of the guys have. They said that with the Traxxas OWN it was easy to clean and run a while. The ROSS behaving the same way with any of us. There definitely seems to be fuel leaking out the back of these since they are getting damp around the input shaft.

I agree that a starter box would be far more simple.
__________________
Grimlock212
Losi 8ight 2.0: Clockwork Racing Engines JLR .21, Hitec 7955tg x2, Spektrum DX3S
Losi 8ight-T 2.0: Clockwork Racing Engines JLR .21, Hitec 7955tg x2, Spektrum DX3S
Losi Ten-T: 7/7/2, Kingpin tires, optional Losi Springs, Spektrum DX3S
Nor-Cal Hobbies: Union City, CA
Grimlock212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:04 PM   #21
Tech Prophet
 
tc5 man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: levittown pa
Posts: 16,872
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimlock212 View Post
I don't think any of that will be an issue since I think they are giving me a new engine and ROSS (among other things.) I never used WD40, I would usually clean the shaft with a Q-tip and Simple Green and clean out the OWB similarly.

There are a lot of guys with lots of experience having issues with the OWB. I never owned a Traxxas with the OWB, but I know many of the guys have. They said that with the Traxxas OWN it was easy to clean and run a while. The ROSS behaving the same way with any of us. There definitely seems to be fuel leaking out the back of these since they are getting damp around the input shaft.

I agree that a starter box would be far more simple.


that aka tire glue is awsome by ,the way best glue ive used. its out of stock alot too.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:58 PM   #22
Tech Regular
 
Grimlock212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 382
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Just got word from Gary @ Losi that my Ten-T is on its way back to me. I can't wait to get it so I can get it and my 8ight to the track.
__________________
Grimlock212
Losi 8ight 2.0: Clockwork Racing Engines JLR .21, Hitec 7955tg x2, Spektrum DX3S
Losi 8ight-T 2.0: Clockwork Racing Engines JLR .21, Hitec 7955tg x2, Spektrum DX3S
Losi Ten-T: 7/7/2, Kingpin tires, optional Losi Springs, Spektrum DX3S
Nor-Cal Hobbies: Union City, CA
Grimlock212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:22 PM   #23
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: oregon
Posts: 719
Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Default

heres some pics.....i havnt started it up yet...probably will over the weekend....anybody have any decent settups for this truck yet?



and for a size comparison...next the the slash 4x4

streetsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:34 PM   #24
Tech Regular
 
Grimlock212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 382
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Straight from Gary Kyes of Losi:
Diffs: 7m - 7m - 2m (F-M-R)
Shocks: Front - 35w/Black(stock) springs Rear - 25w/Gold springs

I am getting a full set-up sheet from one of their top racers down in S Cal when they return mine, so I will see if it varies from the above.

Also, they recommend the Kingpin tires. Not the different size of the Kingpin tires, it definitely changes the way the car performs, and I am still not sure I like them better. They are much smaller diameter and I had massive understeer the one day I tested with those tires, but it was before I switched to the Gary Kyes set-up above. So I still need to get back to the track and test.

Also, you will find more Ten-T info on the Losi forums than here. It is one of the few products where I can actually say that...Mostly 1/8 scale stuff here.
__________________
Grimlock212
Losi 8ight 2.0: Clockwork Racing Engines JLR .21, Hitec 7955tg x2, Spektrum DX3S
Losi 8ight-T 2.0: Clockwork Racing Engines JLR .21, Hitec 7955tg x2, Spektrum DX3S
Losi Ten-T: 7/7/2, Kingpin tires, optional Losi Springs, Spektrum DX3S
Nor-Cal Hobbies: Union City, CA
Grimlock212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:41 PM   #25
Tech Champion
 
Maximo's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,900
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

You need a mod JL for that 10T !!!! I will even make a Bigblock conversion for it !!!
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:51 PM   #26
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: oregon
Posts: 719
Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Default

thanks for the input....and by mod jl did you mean this

http://www.rcslot.com/pc-radio-contr.../OFN51234.html

Last edited by streetsports; 02-11-2010 at 08:56 PM.
streetsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:27 PM   #27
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 58
Default

Well grimlock, last i heard you loved this truggy and now it seems like a disaster. I am still contemplating getting one, but i dont really want to waste time with OWB issues. Did losi have any comments regarding your OWB ,did they say anything about a fix?

I have read this

http://forum.losi.com/showthread.php?t=1735&page=8

anything else i should check out for more info?
bphicks123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:55 AM   #28
Tech Regular
 
Grimlock212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 382
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphicks123 View Post
Well grimlock, last i heard you loved this truggy and now it seems like a disaster. I am still contemplating getting one, but i dont really want to waste time with OWB issues. Did losi have any comments regarding your OWB ,did they say anything about a fix?

I have read this

http://forum.losi.com/showthread.php?t=1735&page=8

anything else i should check out for more info?
I do love the Ten-T. It is a *GREAT* value. It is a new product and has one annoying issue (the OWB).

You get at Spektrum DX3S radio ($250), Losi 340 engine ($150), and the rest for about $450 shipped to your door. It is almost like getting the Ten-T roller for free. How can you beat the value of getting all that for so cheap? Wost case you can swap it over to a starter box.

I also think the Losi 8ight and 8ight-T RTR are awesome values too.

I also think that in 1/10 truck racing the Ten-T will be the truck to beat. It has most of the technology off of the Losi 8ight and is far more advanced than most other 1/10 scale trucks.
__________________
Grimlock212
Losi 8ight 2.0: Clockwork Racing Engines JLR .21, Hitec 7955tg x2, Spektrum DX3S
Losi 8ight-T 2.0: Clockwork Racing Engines JLR .21, Hitec 7955tg x2, Spektrum DX3S
Losi Ten-T: 7/7/2, Kingpin tires, optional Losi Springs, Spektrum DX3S
Nor-Cal Hobbies: Union City, CA
Grimlock212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:32 PM   #29
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Some where
Posts: 3,015
Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default

would make a good electric conversion car...I wonder how long before someone stuffs .21 or .28 on it?
__________________
T5M 7.5
22 3.0 7.5
SickWitiTRacing(Jayson)
NitroLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:04 PM   #30
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 58
Default

its discouraging that losi hasnt made an announcement or acknowledged that there is a problem with the OWB

maybe its not as widespread as we think
bphicks123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread tyhodge07 Electric Off-Road 8898 11-17-2015 05:31 PM
Losi 8ight Truggy 1.0 + a TON of extras. CHECK IT OUT ! RShafer R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 30 04-25-2009 07:55 PM
★★F/S Team Losi 8 Buggy and Truggy★★ 12a_rx2 Australia For Sale/Trade 23 08-13-2008 01:10 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:11 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net