Default .21

Werks B5
tristyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:01 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
LOL! Funny you mention Ryan. I worked with Ryan for about 3 years and pitted for him in most of his early races. Ryan is an exceptionally talented driver - probably one of the most naturally talented drivers of any current driver. It's what allows him to drive like that and still stay at at the front of the pack. If I can get Ryan to drop in on this thread, he would probably tell you what I'm going to suggest. Driving in that manner is hard on the engine, makes it difficult to keep a good tune, and wastes a lot of fuel. As Ryan has matured in the ranks of the top drivers, his best performances have been when he drives at a more conservative, consistent pace and leaves a little in reserve for when it's really needed... and ONLY when it's really needed. He's become a much smarter, more consistent and more dynamic driver by adding a little more "smooth" to his driving style. One thing I can assure you, however, is that when Ryan's style was all about drifting, he couldn't stretch a tank of fuel beyond 8 minutes. The longest he ever ran on a tank of fuel was 8:30 and that's because I forgot to pit him. He just pulled in to the pits at 8:30 and gave me the stink eye - his engine would have stalled if it ran for another 3 seconds.
I can't +1 that enough.

Ryan no longer races "full tilt boogie" and has smoothed out quite a bit. However he still retains the talent to pull off the fastest lap of the event without using that "controlled runaway" style.

Remember; tight lines/ no crashes = best run time.

The best buggy engine fuel economy right out of the box would be one of the Alpha Plus engines or the Novarossi +4 as they are the only engines that I have seen go 10+ in the hands of Sportsman drivers without any mods.

www.trackstarrc.com ~ www.facebook.com/TrackStarRC ~ Home of the 2x's Stock Nationals Champion TS-Gold & TS-Black tire sauce, TS-1+ lubricants, TS-Precision bearings, XRG Xtreme Racing Grease, Scale Auto Engineering, ElevenTech, WRD2, Carbon 12, Stiff Products
Racecrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:13 AM   #18
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
LOL! Funny you mention Ryan. I worked with Ryan for about 3 years and pitted for him in most of his early races. Ryan is an exceptionally talented driver - probably one of the most naturally talented drivers of any current driver. It's what allows him to drive like that and still stay at at the front of the pack. If I can get Ryan to drop in on this thread, he would probably tell you what I'm going to suggest. Driving in that manner is hard on the engine, makes it difficult to keep a good tune, and wastes a lot of fuel. As Ryan has matured in the ranks of the top drivers, his best performances have been when he drives at a more conservative, consistent pace and leaves a little in reserve for when it's really needed... and ONLY when it's really needed. He's become a much smarter, more consistent and more dynamic driver by adding a little more "smooth" to his driving style. One thing I can assure you, however, is that when Ryan's style was all about drifting, he couldn't stretch a tank of fuel beyond 8 minutes. The longest he ever ran on a tank of fuel was 8:30 and that's because I forgot to pit him. He just pulled in to the pits at 8:30 and gave me the stink eye - his engine would have stalled if it ran for another 3 seconds.

I'm not going to tell you how to drive - if you think it's working for you, then go with it, but be satisfied with pitting at 8:00. Perhaps you're not pushing it quite as hard a Ryan can when he's at full noodle, so maybe you can stretch it a little bit, but fuel economy is not in your future. Like Ryan, I think your next evolution as a driver will be to learn to drive at that pace WITHOUT going too deep and backing it into every corner. Drive your real car that way and see what happens to your fuel economy... I'm just sayin.

Having said that, the engines that should get you the best economy are one like the Orion ABI 3-port, Novarossi +4, OS V-Spec, etc. They're all basically 3-port (except for the +4) and may even have conservative port and induction timing that will usually stretch a tank a fuel.
Oh Golly....Thanks Steve!

haha, Anyways I basically do agree with Steve's assessment here. I have relaxed my driving style a lot but I still do drive harder then most of those around me. My biggest reasons were for consistency's sake. There are very few tracks where I have been completely rewarded for my Full Tilt driving style. The '07 Truck nats at the Farm II was one of them. Also the R/C Pro Finals sometimes works out in my driving styles favor. However backing it off just 5 or 10% allows for more consistent times. But as mentioned, either when I need to kick it into another gear or just want to have some extra fun, that knowledge of how to drive like that will never be fully forgotten.
The other thing to note is that if you travel to many races, some tracks can handle that driving style while others can't. Also some tracks can handle it on part of the track but other parts need to be driven more conservatively.
My website = www.lutzinator.com, Find me on Facebook at Facebook.com/lutzrc
-Follow me on Twitter @Lutzrc, #LutzRCRevolution
DRCRacer299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:51 AM   #19
Tech Initiate

Default Racing engines

A modded C5 or C6 with standard plug and the right pipe with a small stinger. I was getting about 12ish with this set up. I will have to say that any 5 port tuned to the gills but drove consertively will get you 10 mins. All about not flipping on your lid and hanging on the trigger. Try a RB K9 or RB R9
Attached Thumbnails
Most fuel economical .21-webb-family-001.jpg  
Old 02-10-2010, 11:30 AM   #20
Tech Adept

Rb C5/C6 is the only engine ive ran where i got 10 mins + every time. The nova +4 is the only engine that seems similar but i personally have not ran one. I got 10 mins out of v-specs and speeds but not consistently easily.
damo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:04 PM   #21
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo666 View Post
Rb C5/C6 is the only engine ive ran where i got 10 mins + every time. The nova +4 is the only engine that seems similar but i personally have not ran one. I got 10 mins out of v-specs and speeds but not consistently easily.
I agree... my mod C6 did 10 under any conditions, usually with plenty to spare...... And fast !!!!! much faster then anything else that gets those kinds of rutimes.....
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:42 PM   #22
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyDees View Post
A modded C5 or C6 with standard plug and the right pipe with a small stinger. I was getting about 12ish with this set up. I will have to say that any 5 port tuned to the gills but drove consertively will get you 10 mins. All about not flipping on your lid and hanging on the trigger. Try a RB K9 or RB R9

nice buggy is that the new speckum diginal ,servo your using for your throttle?
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:18 PM   #23
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to shesha

It's not so much the engine, but the driving style and I can vouch for this.

3 of us locally are running sirio's evo4 on 7mm restrictor with the same pipes maybe the cars are not that identical but the running weight are close enough.

Now both engines are tuned by myself and are close the same engine temps.

One of us was getting 13 mins, the other was 7:30 and the other 10:40

Lap times showed the person who was squeezing the throttle instead of jabbing at it got better lap times and overall fuel economy, whilst the other guy was pretty much rolling every corner his lap times were very consistent but not on the same pace yet his fuel time was a major plus for him.

The 7:30 was hard on the throttle and very very fast on the track.

I used to run 7:30 on the evo4, but now can easily manage 10+ with smooth driving, one more thing you may want to look at which many over look is the throttle servo response speed.

Most people just center the servo horn adjust the trim and EPA and go race.

Instead of being your average joe, take the time to work on the servo response speed to match your throttle finger speed, to achieve this just put your throttle finger and throttle trigger on top of the engine carb and see how it responds to your input now do it slowly and do it real fast and I garantee you will see a difference.

After you got that sorted, try a couple of runs you will see the car respond better to your input on the track, not to mention a increase on your fuel economy since you dont have the abrupt acceleration out of your engine being out of synch with the actual movement of your finger.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:42 PM   #24
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
Best mileage of anything I have seen is my modified C6..... the thing gets amazing runtimes.... As much as 12 minutes on our Canadian dirt tracks, which suck the fuel...... And not to mention the engine is insanely fast !!!!
But it's not a Picco! Just Kidding.
jk1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:58 AM   #25
Tech Adept

Irun a stock C6 and get 10min easy. But i used too race 1/10 gas truck so im pretty smooth on the throttle. Thanks speedyrob
Speedyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:28 AM   #26
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
Crashing one less time on the track will help you more then a extra minute of runtime.... Club guys are going way overboard on the mileage thing if you ask me..Untill your running nearly a perfect race you shouldn't be worrying about 1 extra minute of runtime...We are mostly club racers guys, we aren't at the level that runtime matters nearly as much as you think.....
I have to agree and disagree at the same time. Fuel mileage is not nearly as important to us mere mortals as it is to the very top guys. Generally having an engine that gets a minute or two more runtime won't make a difference. I have however on occasion benefited from having an engine that will do 10 minute pits. In a 30+min A main the difference between 2 and 3 stops can certainly make a difference.

As for engines, the best I have seen are the v-spec family of engines(v-spec, speed, ninja). The nova +4 seems to be very good too.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:30 AM   #27
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecrafter View Post
I can't +1 that enough.

Ryan no longer races "full tilt boogie" and has smoothed out quite a bit. However he still retains the talent to pull off the fastest lap of the event without using that "controlled runaway" style.

Remember; tight lines/ no crashes = best run time.

The best buggy engine fuel economy right out of the box would be one of the Alpha Plus engines or the Novarossi +4 as they are the only engines that I have seen go 10+ in the hands of Sportsman drivers without any mods.
+1 he has certainly smoothed his driving out a considerable amount recently. It's still fun to watch the occasional 4 wheel drift though!
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:18 AM   #28
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shesha View Post
Most people just center the servo horn adjust the trim and EPA and go race.

Instead of being your average joe, take the time to work on the servo response speed to match your throttle finger speed, to achieve this just put your throttle finger and throttle trigger on top of the engine carb and see how it responds to your input now do it slowly and do it real fast and I garantee you will see a difference.

After you got that sorted, try a couple of runs you will see the car respond better to your input on the track, not to mention a increase on your fuel economy since you dont have the abrupt acceleration out of your engine being out of synch with the actual movement of your finger.
Dude? I just went and tested this and your right on with that statement. You can actually see the servo responds slower. I don't have my engine installed but I placed my trigger/finger right next to the servo arm and the difference was noticeable right away. Now, when I moved my finger smoothly the servo was spot on. (Ace1015)

I have a smooth driving style. I'm not a trigger jabber. When I raced my RB 728 it would average about 8:50ish. I would pit at 8:00

Oh, i'm not an average joe anymore right?
Franchise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:31 PM   #29
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to shesha

Franchise .. naaaah your elite now :-P

Speaking of which I managed to get 11:47 today out of the sirio with some good set of tyres and a god clutch setup, driving was not aggressive.

11 Minute pit stops no sweat...