Wiki Posts
Search

Check radio wires

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 12:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Check radio wires

You probably will believe this but I was having radio problems at a race a week or two ago and after much checking, I discovered the problem was my reciever battery. It is a great battery. I firmly believe in ib1600 packs. It charges great. Has about 7 volts normal voltage and peaks at about 7.4 volts everytime it just lasts forever. So I was loosig power at full throttle for maybe 1-2 seconds and it would be fine, but I knew something was wrong. I thought my old fm radio was getting overpowered by the 2.4 radios, wasn't, I thought the brake rod was hanging up, it was just a bit, but get this. I am one of those guys who will leave a battery alone if it holds a charge well, but after 2 solid years of racing, my track has a huge jump. It's the river track in brazoria texas, check it out at riverracetrack.com. Anyway the battery is tough to get out of my xray808, so I just leave it in, I am super careful about keeping my wires routed so nicely, foam and all, but it was the negative wire that runs along the side of the battery under shrinkwrap and so on. It was worn through the shrink wrap and wire with one strand holding the current, one strand of wire was left. The battery sits sideways and so to keep it routed right at the end it worked out to be best to have the wire come out from the bottom so I could route it around to the reciever switch with no issues , but the black wire was flatened. So much for carefully routing things...That could have been a p5 808 runaway from hell...Lesson learned. Make sure to be nice to your delicate wiring. Check all connections often just to be sure there is no potential problems, don't just cram all those wires in there, and double side sticky tape the reciever in place to prevent it from getting ground down over time. I guess I could put that rubber electrical tape under the battery to cushion it. That stuff works in weird spots. I use it on my radio grip, it rubberizes it, and doesn't get sticky or dry either, its at lowes for like 2 bucks...It's in the little things in racing. sticky tape, rubber tape, super glue, and shrink tubing, and so on. Oh yeah I found this teflon spray that is a dry lubricant like wd40 but dries and leaves a film of teflon. Spray it on a clean car and the dirt just blasts away with air compressor, just some random thoughts.

Anyone else have some secrets to share? products, tips....