Wiki Posts
Search

Nitro Verse Electric are we losing the battle

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 11:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by token
All this talk about nitro and tuning - give me a break. The electric guys do the same thing, they still hook there stuff up to the PC and adjust there power curve and brakes. but until EP can run a 30-1hour main, it will not catch on. You can argue all you want, Im just going by the big races. 3 10min races fora amain....... see
The reason you see the 3 -10 mins mains is cause most of those guys run sponsored batts, and sponsored electronics from Reedy, Losi...etc. Those systems and the batt's suck. 10mins and its about to melt at that point...lol.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

from the many posting many nitro user are running electric, great !! it supports the hobby. As popularity increase maybe more and more tracks will offer more events but can a nitro kit run with electric kit are they equal? Im assuming pitting will be a issue but what about performance and power if all parameter were equal (run times) could we see both in the same race eventually.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 82 (99%+)

Originally Posted by bigjayjay1
from the many posting many nitro user are running electric, great !! it supports the hobby. As popularity increase maybe more and more tracks will offer more events but can a nitro kit run with electric kit are they equal? Im assuming pitting will be a issue but what about performance and power if all parameter were equal (run times) could we see both in the same race eventually.
umm, most he time when electrics run with nitro, they have a Mandatory pit stop, meaning they have to pull in pit lane get picked up then set back down then go. 20min race do it once 30min race twice. since most the new motors now can make 10 min run times.

we had an electric do a battery swap in the 30min pro a main, i think he finished top 5.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Just run which ever one you prefer. They each have different cost's associated with them. I do not believe that cost is a major difference, I believe both to be the same or pretty close to one another. Puffing one battery on accident is like blowing a motor.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:29 PM
Tech Prophet

the performance doesnt matter ,,its the driver that matters,, the guys i seen racing a 1/8 electric where ,,all over the place.. usally you dont go 45 mph on the straights when,,, racing inless its a hugh track.. i just run a slash for electric it relexs me .. me personlly i dont care for the brushless power much at all.. its to snappy ,,reguardless what you do..
Old 02-09-2010, 04:29 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by tc5 man
the performance doesnt matter ,,its the driver that matters,, the guys i seen racing a 1/8 electric where ,,all over the place.. usally you dont go 45 mph on the straights when,,, racing inless its a hugh track.. i just run a slash for electric it relexs me .. me personlly i dont care for the brushless power much at all.. its to snappy ,,reguardless what you do..
wait what?

brushless power "snappy" you have never drivin a Mamba Max Pro with a novak balistic motor have you.

tunable sensors, smoothest system available. not "snappy" at all unless you want it to be.

you need to be smooth on the trigger with electrics you cant be "blip" happy it takes a toll on fets and batteries, thats where all the problem arises from electric

you cant just plug and play an 1/8th system, it takes some tuning just like a nitro. not only set up..
but you have to keep the gearing in range as to not over heat the motor (just like keeping your motor in that "sweet" spot on the tune not to hot not to cold)

you have to choose the right motor for your application as well.
(nothing to big or small. (just like any nitro engine)

picking batteries is just like picking a pipe.

you need get the ones that will exceed your needs that way you have head room for problems that arise.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Originally Posted by smokinu
wait what?

brushless power "snappy" you have never drivin a Mamba Max Pro with a novak balistic motor have you.

tunable sensors, smoothest system available. not "snappy" at all unless you want it to be.

you need to be smooth on the trigger with electrics you cant be "blip" happy it takes a toll on fets and batteries, thats where all the problem arises from electric

you cant just plug and play an 1/8th system, it takes some tuning just like a nitro. not only set up..
but you have to keep the gearing in range as to not over heat the motor (just like keeping your motor in that "sweet" spot on the tune not to hot not to cold)

you need get the ones that will exceed your needs that way you have head room for problems that arise.
Ok many you can help me Ive narrowed down my brand selection to Tekin or Mamba for a middle size to large track what is a good combintation. I plan to use a LOSI electric conversion kit any suggestions.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:42 PM
Tech Champion

Ok many you can help me Ive narrowed down my brand selection to Tekin or Mamba for a middle size to large track what is a good combintation. I plan to use a LOSI electric conversion kit any suggestions.
buggy or truggy?
Old 02-09-2010, 04:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default electric is good

for 1/10 scale buggies and slash, but the lipo batteries in 1/8th scale seem to be unstable. the speed controls are expensive and go pooofff. to easily, even in the early days of 1/10 scale they could last for a long time. I'm sure they will improve over time, but it seems to be too much power to be stable and consistent over a season....I used to race electric 2wd and 4wd buggies and they were great, still are. I would not mind getting a b4 or something to bring to the track to play with, but the new electric cars seem to be kinda bad. The slash make grinding noises going around the track, and the shocks seem underdampened, and the 1/8th scale electric are too complicated, and so on...I might have to drive one first though, but based on seeing others with them, woah sending in speed controls and batteries left and right. I like my reliable p5.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:01 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by merdith6
for 1/10 scale buggies and slash, but the lipo batteries in 1/8th scale seem to be unstable. the speed controls are expensive and go pooofff. to easily, even in the early days of 1/10 scale they could last for a long time. I'm sure they will improve over time, but it seems to be too much power to be stable and consistent over a season....I used to race electric 2wd and 4wd buggies and they were great, still are. I would not mind getting a b4 or something to bring to the track to play with, but the new electric cars seem to be kinda bad. The slash make grinding noises going around the track, and the shocks seem underdampened, and the 1/8th scale electric are too complicated, and so on...I might have to drive one first though, but based on seeing others with them, woah sending in speed controls and batteries left and right. I like my reliable p5.
you race with some crap tastic people who one either buy crap batteries,
or two over gear a car pulling to much through the esc, and again having not enough battery.

there is more to it then having a faulty esc,

yes electronics are fragile, and i have blown more mamba max esc's then i have Mamba Monster Maxs

the tekin system is just supurb it all depends on your spending limit.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default I got you

I'm sure they really don't know but they are learning the hard way. It probably is fun to learn too. I like setting up esc's and playing with gearing, and batteries well who doesn't love batteries right. I just need to try one out myself....that 808e looks nice....
Old 02-09-2010, 05:07 PM
Tech Champion

I'm sure they really don't know but they are learning the hard way. It probably is fun to learn too. I like setting up esc's and playing with gearing, and batteries well who doesn't love batteries right. I just need to try one out myself....that 808e looks nice....
i saw the release of the 808e on neo it looks really good, but the mp9e has my money lol!
Old 02-09-2010, 05:19 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by smokinu
wait what?

i run the mamba max on my rc18t ,,yea i know there lighter and harder to handle but i,, only had a 5700 motor. its not bad on the low timing on the motor but,, with the normal timing or the high timing setting on the motor,, it has that little punch that catches you off guard..

i used to race nothing but electric touring cars and 2wd trucks trust me i know about being smooth on the throttle..
Old 02-09-2010, 05:21 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by tc5 man
i run the mamba max on my rc18t ,,yea i know there lighter and harder to handle but i,, only had a 5700 motor. its not bad on the low timing on the motor but,, with the normal timing or the high timing setting on the motor,, it has that little punch that catches you off guard..

i used to race nothing but electric touring cars and 2wd trucks trust me i know about being smooth on the throttle..
you have a 10th system in an 18th scale car?

funny how that works, i have not seen anything like that since the hpi micro rs4
Old 02-09-2010, 05:23 PM
Tech Prophet

thats why i race a slash in electric its ,,way more simple.. i run a 7 cell vetom battery pack and still can run righ,t ,,,with guys with lipos in there slashs..

and also i have a racing bud that had his tekin go bad on him 4 times while racing sorry but il stick with a nitro engine... and his battery puffed even with a normal charge..

there was a out of tower racer that came,,, to my track and while i was racing with him it caught, on fire at nightime too... i really thought ,,my nitro buggy was gone to go poof bad man...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.