R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 02-08-2010, 06:14 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default new nitro head looking for some answers

hello there all. I am electric guy that got sucked into the nitro scene with a car that was available for a steal. I have an OFNA Ravager with a force .28 motor. from what I have read, this is a similar car to the OFNA 9.5. here are my questions:

The pull starter sucks. I replaced it with a new one and it slips with every pull. It will retract every pull but I cannot get a compression stroke to get the car to fire. I have not taken it apart to look it over yet and will be getting a bump box as soon as I can to be done with the pull starter altogether. Any ideas?

The next question is about the exhaust manifold. The spring is pulling the aluminum out where the spring clips into the manifold. Is there a decent manifold/pipe out there that will not have the same fate as this one?

I bought this car used and have had it completely apart to familiarize myself with it. I needed to replace some parts here and there and am getting the hang of the tuning and setup but still have no clue on what is decent out there and compatible and what is not.

thanks to you all in advance..

Ben
bschanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:07 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bschanz View Post
hello there all. I am electric guy that got sucked into the nitro scene with a car that was available for a steal. I have an OFNA Ravager with a force .28 motor. from what I have read, this is a similar car to the OFNA 9.5. here are my questions:

The pull starter sucks. I replaced it with a new one and it slips with every pull. It will retract every pull but I cannot get a compression stroke to get the car to fire. I have not taken it apart to look it over yet and will be getting a bump box as soon as I can to be done with the pull starter altogether. Any ideas?

The next question is about the exhaust manifold. The spring is pulling the aluminum out where the spring clips into the manifold. Is there a decent manifold/pipe out there that will not have the same fate as this one?

I bought this car used and have had it completely apart to familiarize myself with it. I needed to replace some parts here and there and am getting the hang of the tuning and setup but still have no clue on what is decent out there and compatible and what is not.

thanks to you all in advance..

Ben
Your two issues are common on that particular engine.. The slipping pull start is due to the one way bearing slipping.. Replace that and you will be able to start it again.. A quick fix would be to soak it in alcohol and then blow it dry.. reinstall it should work for a while.. the best way to fix it is to get a starter box, no need to worry about one way bearings or pull starts..

the other problem would best be fixed with a new pipe and manifold. Preferably one that suits the engine best, but anything you get will be stronger than the stock RTR manifold..
Old 02-09-2010, 05:40 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by (MRC)Scotty! View Post
Your two issues are common on that particular engine.. The slipping pull start is due to the one way bearing slipping.. Replace that and you will be able to start it again.. A quick fix would be to soak it in alcohol and then blow it dry.. reinstall it should work for a while.. the best way to fix it is to get a starter box, no need to worry about one way bearings or pull starts..

the other problem would best be fixed with a new pipe and manifold. Preferably one that suits the engine best, but anything you get will be stronger than the stock RTR manifold..

Scotty, thanks for the insight. I figured that one way is on its way out. I already had it apart and cleaned it once. I reinstalled it and it worked for maybe 3 tanks without slipping. Might just look into a new one until I can get a starter box.

AS far as the pipe is concerned, any tips on a decent one for this engine? My LHS stocks very few OFNA parts. When I had it in there, one of the guys said he has never even seen a Ravager. I might need to venture a little further south as I know another hobby store that sells OFNA parts. Maybe they can help. Thanks again.

Ben
bschanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:51 AM   #4
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I'm not sure who makes it, but I have one that actually has a steel spring flange around the pipe. It fits over the flange at the motor end and gives a very solid attachment, no wear like the aluminum.
Wrencher is offline   Reply With Quote