Wiki Posts
Search

Traxxas 3.3 blown engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 05:08 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Traxxas 3.3 blown engine

So this weekend I somehow managed to blow my Traxxas 3.3 engine. I have exactly one gallon through it and did the break in by the book(or traxxas DVD). The connecting rod split in half and the piston blew a hole in the top of it. I ran it about 30 minutes with no problems prior to it blowing up. Temp never got above 240 and it had plenty of smoke coming out of the pipe. When I took it apart I was surprised to see that the sleave and crank are totally fine (no scaring at all).

What I want to know is if you guys think this is a manufacturer defect or something I did wrong. This is my first nitro truck and needless to say I am a bit surprised by this. Thanks.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by hookem34
So this weekend I somehow managed to blow my Traxxas 3.3 engine. I have exactly one gallon through it and did the break in by the book(or traxxas DVD). The connecting rod split in half and the piston blew a hole in the top of it. I ran it about 30 minutes with no problems prior to it blowing up. Temp never got above 240 and it had plenty of smoke coming out of the pipe. When I took it apart I was surprised to see that the sleave and crank are totally fine (no scaring at all).

What I want to know is if you guys think this is a manufacturer defect or something I did wrong. This is my first nitro truck and needless to say I am a bit surprised by this. Thanks.
Call Traxxas and tell them the story.
They have great customer service.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:35 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I will be contacting them in the morning. Just curious as to what others think or have experienced with this engine.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I believe this is a common problem for the 3.3, if they replace it, I would strongly recommend upgrading to the davis deisel conrod after break in
Old 02-08-2010, 07:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cassidy
I believe this is a common problem for the 3.3, if they replace it, I would strongly recommend upgrading to the davis deisel conrod after break in
Exactly. I raced 3.3's for 4 years. It's a common problem although in your case it happened early. I would strongly recommend getting the diesel connecting rod or getting a new rod to install after break in. The 3.3 is a durable and reliable engine.

Once, my hsn worked loose during a race and caused the engine to run very lean. That motor temped at over 400 when it stalled. Initally my temp gun read HI. My glow plug was black. I tried running the engine and it continued to run reliable for two more gallons until i finally imploded. I won a championship with that engine.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by cassidy
X2
Old 02-08-2010, 07:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Had a hobbyshop for 3 years now and I have seen it happen 3 times.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigde2001
Had a hobbyshop for 3 years now and I have seen it happen 3 times.
i've seen happen twice.most of the time i hear about a 3.3 failingit's the rod.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

it is a common problem i got tired of dealing with it and went with os motor but the 3.3 is a good motor