R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-08-2010, 05:08 PM   #1
Tech Master
 
hookem34's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Texas.....Y'all!
Posts: 1,793
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Traxxas 3.3 blown engine

So this weekend I somehow managed to blow my Traxxas 3.3 engine. I have exactly one gallon through it and did the break in by the book(or traxxas DVD). The connecting rod split in half and the piston blew a hole in the top of it. I ran it about 30 minutes with no problems prior to it blowing up. Temp never got above 240 and it had plenty of smoke coming out of the pipe. When I took it apart I was surprised to see that the sleave and crank are totally fine (no scaring at all).

What I want to know is if you guys think this is a manufacturer defect or something I did wrong. This is my first nitro truck and needless to say I am a bit surprised by this. Thanks.
__________________
Dan Culver
Companies I stand behind with my hard earned cash:
KyoshoClockwork Racing EnginesPT Racing OilsJet Lube ☆ Futaba ☆ Competition Heat ☆ Revolve RCNovarossiBuku PowerBones Motorsports
hookem34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:27 PM   #2
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 63
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem34 View Post
So this weekend I somehow managed to blow my Traxxas 3.3 engine. I have exactly one gallon through it and did the break in by the book(or traxxas DVD). The connecting rod split in half and the piston blew a hole in the top of it. I ran it about 30 minutes with no problems prior to it blowing up. Temp never got above 240 and it had plenty of smoke coming out of the pipe. When I took it apart I was surprised to see that the sleave and crank are totally fine (no scaring at all).

What I want to know is if you guys think this is a manufacturer defect or something I did wrong. This is my first nitro truck and needless to say I am a bit surprised by this. Thanks.
Call Traxxas and tell them the story.
They have great customer service.
grouseridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:35 PM   #3
Tech Master
 
hookem34's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Texas.....Y'all!
Posts: 1,793
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

I will be contacting them in the morning. Just curious as to what others think or have experienced with this engine.
__________________
Dan Culver
Companies I stand behind with my hard earned cash:
KyoshoClockwork Racing EnginesPT Racing OilsJet Lube ☆ Futaba ☆ Competition Heat ☆ Revolve RCNovarossiBuku PowerBones Motorsports
hookem34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:30 PM   #4
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Jeromesville, Ohio
Posts: 289
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

I believe this is a common problem for the 3.3, if they replace it, I would strongly recommend upgrading to the davis deisel conrod after break in
cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:19 PM   #5
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 492
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidy View Post
I believe this is a common problem for the 3.3, if they replace it, I would strongly recommend upgrading to the davis deisel conrod after break in
Exactly. I raced 3.3's for 4 years. It's a common problem although in your case it happened early. I would strongly recommend getting the diesel connecting rod or getting a new rod to install after break in. The 3.3 is a durable and reliable engine.

Once, my hsn worked loose during a race and caused the engine to run very lean. That motor temped at over 400 when it stalled. Initally my temp gun read HI. My glow plug was black. I tried running the engine and it continued to run reliable for two more gallons until i finally imploded. I won a championship with that engine.
Franchise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:23 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic
 
mudboger07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 939
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidy View Post
I believe this is a common problem for the 3.3, if they replace it, I would strongly recommend upgrading to the davis deisel conrod after break in
X2
__________________
Proud Sponsor of a 10 year old.....
losi 8ightB 2.0/DX3S/VSpec* Revo-3.3*mod slash*blade-mcx*axial GC2
Team Nitro** F-14*Team Terribles/Answer-RC

Ken
mudboger07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:27 PM   #7
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Rossville Ga
Posts: 1,398
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Had a hobbyshop for 3 years now and I have seen it happen 3 times.
bigde2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:38 PM   #8
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 492
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigde2001 View Post
Had a hobbyshop for 3 years now and I have seen it happen 3 times.
i've seen happen twice.most of the time i hear about a 3.3 failingit's the rod.
Franchise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:48 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic
 
MontanaMaxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 874
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

it is a common problem i got tired of dealing with it and went with os motor but the 3.3 is a good motor
MontanaMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Traxxas Revo futureal Monster Trucks 3272 04-30-2017 03:46 PM
Traxxas Stampede Forum Red Z Electric Off-Road 1384 08-03-2015 04:02 PM
Revo 3.3 race roller with a ton of spares. justinspeed79 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 7 04-11-2008 07:48 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:49 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net