R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 02-08-2010, 04:22 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)
Default Novarossi 367?

I just picked up a novarossi 367 motor for my new d8t whats a good gearing combo to run with it? and ive been seeing some stuff about mods can someone tell me what that is? I know a noob question but im trying to get into some nitro racing and I would like to know what i could be going against.

Thank You.
S1CK-M1ND3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 04:31 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

the stock gearing on the d8t should just fine. ive not seen anyone around here need to change from the stock gearing.

if youre new to this, then just run your motor as it is. get the feel of it, and how to tune it, then later on look in getting it modded, or getting another one thats already modded. others will pop up with more info on this than i can give you
Old 02-08-2010, 05:40 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The 367 has a very soft bottom, but its a screamer up top a good choice for a buggy (fast), it lacks the bottom end torque for a truggy, but it will do the job. I have 4, 367 love the darn things, they are hoever very tune picky with the stock carb (long needles) get a Novarossi short needle carb and it will hold a tune better.
I am not sponsored, these are the products I chose to support.
Serpent SRX8, Sanwa M11s, Sanwa SRX-BX servos, Picco 5TB
RAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:37 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default how can you tell.....

What's the difference between short and long needles...They all look the same to me, the carbs. I had a 367 and it was a great engine, but tough to tune. I never thought about the carb. It's the newer one that has the idle screw on top that has the long needles????
Old 02-08-2010, 10:47 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by merdith6 View Post
What's the difference between short and long needles...They all look the same to me, the carbs. I had a 367 and it was a great engine, but tough to tune. I never thought about the carb. It's the newer one that has the idle screw on top that has the long needles????
The older style Nova carb has a "blunt tipped" LSN. LSN also runs 'recessed' up in the carb pull ballstud/endcap.

The newer model carb has a long/slow taper on the LSN. LSN runs physically flush or slightly protruding outward from the ballstud pull.

Tapered needle is a little more sensitive to idle speed air gap and amount moved at a time. Because it's tapered, you get a non-linear fuel curve reaction to the needle as it moves.

So you can't just 'slap at it' and get it tuned correctly. However, when it is, it has a nicer midrange pull and gets better mileage when driven smoothly.

If you drive with total abandon and keep the throttle open and 'blip' a lot; then you won't really observe the difference in the two other than the tuning.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:05 AM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Thank you all for your info. I picked the motor up at ultimate hobbies for 299$ brand new it came with a nova chrome pipe 4 plugs and extra sleeves I have a couple of losi RTR's this is my first nitro kit how does the mod help the motor?
S1CK-M1ND3D is offline   Reply With Quote