R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 02-07-2010, 08:52 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Help needed choosing buggy and motor

Well I am looking to step up from 10th scale 4wd to 8th gas since our track is mainly gas. so my question is Which buggy to buy and what to complete it with (motor,servos,reciverpack, etcetc.) I will be running mainly indoor and outdoor this summer then right back indoors, im NOT a big losi fan i usally only run associated, and i only buy kits. Thanks, nick
Team Losi 8ight-T 2.0 // Team Losi 8ight-e 2.0 // Team losi /Novarossi Nitrotec r21 .21 // Futaba servos // Airtronics m11 // Coldfusion fuel // Fastlane Graphix // Ready Rollers Bearings // Reo Raceway // BCE Products
Nickd18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:31 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

RC8B with a werks B5 motor, hitec servos. thats what i would get because i like associated the best.

Serpent - Desoto Racing - Picco - AKA - Hitec - RC Addictions Products - Tekin - VRP - Avid RC - SMC - MIP - SkipGear - The Ohio RC Factory
Quad Racer 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:40 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

mugen/xray

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:42 AM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

What makes you shy away from Losi, bad experience?
JBURCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:30 PM   #5
Tech Rookie

I way check out the hyper 9 2.0 it is one of the most overlooked buggies out there. I have o season on my 9 and love it. Everyone that i race with keeps a close eye on it.
quarterpastgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:01 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

+1 on the hyper 9 2.0
Team_Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:25 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBURCH View Post
What makes you shy away from Losi, bad experience?
I just like the quality of associated's stuff better, and i have had some bad luck with losi.. i was looking at the rc8b, is there anything that has to be replaced alot on them? will they keep up with the losi's? our track is mainly losi. i used to race 8th gas a while back when jammins were killing around here.. not so much anymore.
Team Losi 8ight-T 2.0 // Team Losi 8ight-e 2.0 // Team losi /Novarossi Nitrotec r21 .21 // Futaba servos // Airtronics m11 // Coldfusion fuel // Fastlane Graphix // Ready Rollers Bearings // Reo Raceway // BCE Products
Old 02-07-2010, 03:27 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quad Racer 34 View Post
RC8B with a werks B5 motor, hitec servos. thats what i would get because i like associated the best.
Thats what im going to get i think, Has anyone run picco,axial or the new reedy motor? im looking for a good motor under $300
Old 02-07-2010, 06:47 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Ive run the EVO 2 torque picco motor. It was good to me. I treated it like poop. Ran it lean and hot trying to keep up with the high horsed Novas and OS Speeds but she lasted me 2 good seasons until detonation. it was spectacular.
Ive also herd a lot of good things with the Reedy Motor. Either way you cant go wrong. Also look at the Ninja and OS V-Spec. The are good too. I run the OS now and it is going on its 3rd season. May just be time for a rebuild.
Jerm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 07:05 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

you got pm

JESUS SAVES, WESLEY
r1harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 07:11 PM   #11

Location: a very small town in wisconsin that is in the middle of absolutely no where
Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickd18 View Post
Well I am looking to step up from 10th scale 4wd to 8th gas since our track is mainly gas. so my question is Which buggy to buy and what to complete it with (motor,servos,reciverpack, etcetc.) I will be running mainly indoor and outdoor this summer then right back indoors, im NOT a big losi fan i usally only run associated, and i only buy kits. Thanks, nick
run whatever is most popular in your area (parts, setups, and help in general)... see what the fast guys run... any buggy out now is fairly fast.. o'donnell, mugen, losi, kyosho, jammin to name a few. all are good.... jeremy
Jeremy Whiting - serpent america - desoto racing - apicco race engines - RcRenew - jconcepts - Rc Pro Products - ko propo eurus - ko propo servos - VP PowerMaster Fuels - Answer-rc usa - advantage racing products - Parma/pse bodies - serpent 811 2.1 - 811t
J.Whiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:35 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Thats what im going to get i think, Has anyone run picco,axial or the new reedy motor? im looking for a good motor under $300
NOVAROSSI p5 xlt on the motor well within your price point ..great motor tons of power ..decent runtime ..my .02 only ...oh and longevity

TEAM REDS RACING ENGINES USA
TEAM PROLINE-RACING
TEAM RC AMERICA/XRAY/HUDY
zixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:56 PM   #13
Tech Fanatic
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Try to run whatever your LHS carries, as this will make it more enjoyable for you to be in the hobby, most modern buggy's are good, so are the engines. And set your self a realistic budget as a new race ready buggy can go from $900.00 and easly north of $2000.00
I am not sponsored, these are the products I chose to support.
Serpent SRX8, Sanwa M11s, Sanwa SRX-BX servos, Picco 5TB
RAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:04 PM   #14
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
I just like the quality of associated's stuff better, and i have had some bad luck with losi.. i was looking at the rc8b, is there anything that has to be replaced alot on them? will they keep up with the losi's? our track is mainly losi. i used to race 8th gas a while back when jammins were killing around here.. not so much anymore.

i dont get how you can say that when ae is the one breaking most of the time

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:11 PM   #15
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by losi_racer View Post
i dont get how you can say that when ae is the one breaking most of the time
In 6 months of running oval/ offrad with a t4 i have broke 2 a-arms, i turnbuckle. in 6 months of running the losi i had, well lets just say my wallet didnt stay full..

Back on subject, I can get pretty much about anything around here since im good freinds with the guys at my LHS and i get dicounts on them too but i think once i get my real truck fixed i think im going to look in to a novarossi motor, and a rc8b,xray,mugen,o'donnell

And Pm replied to