R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   AKA tires on Mugen wheels??!! (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/368128-aka-tires-mugen-wheels.html)

KWT-NITRO 02-06-2010 12:18 PM

AKA tires on Mugen wheels??!!

Hey guys,

just a few small questions, is it possible to mount AKA tires on Mugen wheels?? aren't the AKA tires wider than other manufacturer tires?? can i use Prolines Closed Cell foam with AKA tires??

cheers
Ali

plus2ss 02-06-2010 12:44 PM

im not sure about the mugen wheels, but i would only use AKA foam in AKA tires. The AKA tires are made for the bigger diameter wheels, and are a little wider than proline tires. The proline foam wouldnt fill out the AKA tires as well.

KWT-NITRO 02-06-2010 12:48 PM

thanks for the answer

cheers

Ali

halfman 02-07-2010 04:36 PM

yes you can do it.

Jerm13 02-07-2010 06:37 PM

I accualy have a couple sets. Just to clerafy, the newer rims ('09).I wanted a rim with holes in them and like the Mugens. I also have a set of Kyosho's too. But you should use the AKA foams and take you time gluing them. Get some good bands for doing so. they are a little "loose" but as far as being too big, I personally dont think they were that bad.

Davidka 02-07-2010 08:48 PM

I have a set of Cross Braces mounted to Panther rims (not oversize/new diameter) with proline molded foam, they fit and fill well. The larger rims make a lower sidewall height but the ungroomed tracks I usually race on like a tire with a little bit more sidewall height. The AKA foams are much too hard for anything but blue groove and indoor/smooth tracks in my opinion.

dishsoap 02-07-2010 10:41 PM

Yes they fit. AKA will also fit on Kyosho wheels new and old versions.

mp9er 02-08-2010 02:17 AM

if i were you i wouldnt mix foams and rims. aka foams rims tyres is the best combination im not saying they dont fit im sure some do but for the best consistantsy stick with aka foams tires and rims

KWT-NITRO 02-08-2010 02:30 AM

thanks guys for the answers,
i'll tell why i wanna mix tires and wheels, instead of paying almost 70 bucks for a set of tires, if i get 4 unmounted tires for 39 bucks, Amain have a great deal on mugen wheels, 4 wheels for 9 dollars, a set is 48 bucks complete. 20 bucks cheaper than the premounted ones, i need 10 sets, 5 for the remaining races in Kuwait and 5 for the Neo race in the UK (if i make it) thats 200 bucks worth of savings :D

is it worth it ??

cheers

Ali

Matthijs 02-08-2010 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by KWT-NITRO (Post 6973382)
thanks guys for the answers,
i'll tell why i wanna mix tires and wheels, instead of paying almost 70 bucks for a set of tires, if i get 4 unmounted tires for 39 bucks, Amain have a great deal on mugen wheels, 4 wheels for 9 dollars, a set is 48 bucks complete. 20 bucks cheaper than the premounted ones, i need 10 sets, 5 for the remaining races in Kuwait and 5 for the Neo race in the UK (if i make it) thats 200 bucks worth of savings :D

is it worth it ??

cheers

Ali

oh come on...please don't put any mugen rimm's, with proline inserts and AKA tires on your Kyosho MP9 :cry:

For Neo (indoor) use the supersofts .Cityblocks or Gridiron. Just buy premount, much easier. If you worried about the price.... you'r going to Neo, that will cost you more than those 200 bucks :smile: have fun there!

KWT-NITRO 02-08-2010 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Matthijs (Post 6973554)
oh come on...please don't put any mugen rimm's, with proline inserts and AKA tires on your Kyosho MP9 :cry:

For Neo (indoor) use the supersofts .Cityblocks or Gridiron. Just buy premount, much easier. If you worried about the price.... you'r going to Neo, that will cost you more than those 200 bucks :smile: have fun there!

LOOOL
man i'm still not sure if i'm gonna race my MP9 or my 8ight 2.0 over there.
i'm running the Losi for this season and my MP9 is sitting on its shelve with its awards and trophies :D
trying to find someone to sponser our team for the trip, if i do find one, ill get the premounted :lol:

thanks for the info about the tires for the Neo track, i was hesitating between the cityblocks and the calibers.

cheers

Ali

Integra 02-08-2010 08:52 AM

Ali lmk any foam/tire question's in PM's..... ive tried nearly every foam on the market and a good 90% of the tires. :nod: