R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-04-2010, 03:05 PM   #31
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,854
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimlock212 View Post
To build a E-buggy starts off far more expensive. I recently priced a Losi out and we were looking at probably close to $1800 when said and done. Definitely more than a nitro buggy.

According to the guys at my local track which has a VERY large 1/8 electric class (Nitro was banned for a while due to neighbor complaints), the batteries cost around $250 (for a good one) and can go bad as quickly as in 3 months. Not to mention speed controls failing, etc.

I think I might build one eventually, but I just can't see going all electric with all my vehicles. The run time thing is a killer to me. And it isn't like I could afford to buy 3 $250 batteries and keep swapping them to keep running while one charges.
Batteries cost $60 a piece. They used to cost a lot but not anymore. NO ONE pays that much any more unless you are a sucker for MaxAmps.

www.hobbycity.com
__________________
Cars I've Owned: Tekno EB48 & SCT410, AE 8.2e, AE SC10 4x4, MBX6e Tekno V4, Xray 808e, Xray 8Te, Losi 810e, Losi SCTE 4x4, Losi 22, Hot Bodies Ve8, Losi 8te, and plenty of Traxxas

Sponsors: Visa, Mastercard, Amex, and my wife's bank account.
Edumakated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:11 PM   #32
Tech Regular
 
Grimlock212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 382
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edumakated View Post
Batteries cost $60 a piece. They used to cost a lot but not anymore. NO ONE pays that much any more unless you are a sucker for MaxAmps.

www.hobbycity.com
Hey I am just telling you what the competitive racers at my local track told me. You could be totally right. They told me a "racer pack" was around $250.
__________________
Grimlock212
Losi 8ight 2.0: Clockwork Racing Engines JLR .21, Hitec 7955tg x2, Spektrum DX3S
Losi 8ight-T 2.0: Clockwork Racing Engines JLR .21, Hitec 7955tg x2, Spektrum DX3S
Losi Ten-T: 7/7/2, Kingpin tires, optional Losi Springs, Spektrum DX3S
Nor-Cal Hobbies: Union City, CA
Grimlock212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:31 PM   #33
Tech Master
 
RBMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Santa Clara CA
Posts: 1,264
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimlock212 View Post
Hey I am just telling you what the competitive racers at my local track told me. You could be totally right. They told me a "racer pack" was around $250.

That's because they bought into the whole ROAR 4cell rule. Roar approved 4 cell packs are artifically inflated in price. There are many cheaper ways to go that actually work better anyway (5S & 6S packs with lower mAh and lower RPM motors).
__________________
-EMBX6,T8 1400, RX8, 5S Lipo ,Elite-RC, RCM tray
-EMBX6,T8 1350, RX8, 5S Lipo ,Elite-RC, RCM tray
-B44 (Novak)
-ROAR 4 cell rule Blows
RBMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:35 PM   #34
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 492
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Oh geez. Another one of these threads.

I'm nitro all the way. Electric makes the hobby boring from my point of view. When we run electric mains the sidelines are mostly vacant. Boring!!!! All except Slash.

There are MANY reason to run electric over nitro but nitro still accounts for %95 or more of the hobby. Why is that? Something manufacturs know that we don't? Nope.

Someone will take this comment the wrong way but I feel that nitro is for the older crowd. I'm sure the hobby started off with a bunch of old guys but now you see 14 year olds with nitro trucks. I'm not going to give the trigger to my 6T an 8 year old. I drove a buddies E buggy(AE) at the track one day and it brought back memories of when I got my first radio control car for Christmas. My parents even bought batteries so I could drive it right away.

That thing was a rocket down the straight!!!!

Anyway.

If I'm going to spend large amounts of money I want something that doesn't appear, at first look, to be bought from walmart or radioshack.

Who would buy a Ferrari if it looked and sounded like a Honda Civic?

Electric has come a long way but it won't take over nitro anytime soon. I don't care how much runtime they have.
It's preference. That's it.
Franchise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:35 PM   #35
Tech Regular
 
Grimlock212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 382
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBMike View Post
That's because they bought into the whole ROAR 4cell rule. Roar approved 4 cell packs are artifically inflated in price. There are many cheaper ways to go that actually work better anyway (5S & 6S packs with lower mAh and lower RPM motors).
You would know better than I would. I don't understand any of that battery speak. BTW, where do you race locally? You only live a few miles from me.
__________________
Grimlock212
Losi 8ight 2.0: Clockwork Racing Engines JLR .21, Hitec 7955tg x2, Spektrum DX3S
Losi 8ight-T 2.0: Clockwork Racing Engines JLR .21, Hitec 7955tg x2, Spektrum DX3S
Losi Ten-T: 7/7/2, Kingpin tires, optional Losi Springs, Spektrum DX3S
Nor-Cal Hobbies: Union City, CA
Grimlock212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:37 PM   #36
Tech Regular
 
Grimlock212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 382
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise View Post

Who would buy a Ferrari if it looked and sounded like a Honda Civic?
You mean a Prius.
__________________
Grimlock212
Losi 8ight 2.0: Clockwork Racing Engines JLR .21, Hitec 7955tg x2, Spektrum DX3S
Losi 8ight-T 2.0: Clockwork Racing Engines JLR .21, Hitec 7955tg x2, Spektrum DX3S
Losi Ten-T: 7/7/2, Kingpin tires, optional Losi Springs, Spektrum DX3S
Nor-Cal Hobbies: Union City, CA
Grimlock212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:40 PM   #37
Tech Master
 
RBMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Santa Clara CA
Posts: 1,264
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimlock212 View Post
Nor-cal Hobbies is about to start racing nitro again and there is an indoor track in Antioch that has indoor nitro.

What tracks have closed around here recently?
Hobby world had 2 tracks closed due to noise (one @ Miller & Bolanger and one in Gilroy). Andys RC-Unlimited track never really got off the ground for racing (I think we raced 2 times) but we practiced at that track for 2 summers before the neibors complained & the city (or county) came out & made him take down the best drivers stand ever (no permit). I go to Delta alot in the winter for the indoor but even with only a roof it can get real smoky in there with nitros. Some times you have to walk out into the fair grounds to get some O2 in your lungs. Norcal will have a limited number of nitro offroad races (until the neibors start complain). I race there regularly (electric).
__________________
-EMBX6,T8 1400, RX8, 5S Lipo ,Elite-RC, RCM tray
-EMBX6,T8 1350, RX8, 5S Lipo ,Elite-RC, RCM tray
-B44 (Novak)
-ROAR 4 cell rule Blows
RBMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:43 PM   #38
Tech Adept
 
Loveme_some RC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Whittier, CA.
Posts: 164
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edumakated View Post
"Real racers..." good lord. I bet you think you have a shot at the trophy girls too.
Nominated for Quote of the year..

I run both Nitro & Electric Losi 8's
Both have pros & cons on total cost.
What I love is that I can race all year.
Loveme_some RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:03 PM   #39
Tech Prophet
 
tc5 man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: levittown pa
Posts: 16,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise View Post
Oh geez. Another one of these threads.

I'm nitro all the way. Electric makes the hobby boring from my point of view. When we run electric mains the sidelines are mostly vacant. Boring!!!! All except Slash.

There are MANY reason to run electric over nitro but nitro still accounts for %95 or more of the hobby. Why is that? Something manufacturs know that we don't? Nope.

Someone will take this comment the wrong way but I feel that nitro is for the older crowd. I'm sure the hobby started off with a bunch of old guys but now you see 14 year olds with nitro trucks. I'm not going to give the trigger to my 6T an 8 year old. I drove a buddies E buggy(AE) at the track one day and it brought back memories of when I got my first radio control car for Christmas. My parents even bought batteries so I could drive it right away.




well im 25 and race nitro now and i did do ,nothing but electric offroad. but once i got a nitro dont want to do go back ,but i do race slash also though too.






That thing was a rocket down the straight!!!!















Anyway.

If I'm going to spend large amounts of money I want something that doesn't appear, at first look, to be bought from walmart or radioshack.

Who would buy a Ferrari if it looked and sounded like a Honda Civic?

Electric has come a long way but it won't take over nitro anytime soon. I don't care how much runtime they have.
It's preference. That's it.
tc5 man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:07 PM   #40
Tech Prophet
 
tc5 man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: levittown pa
Posts: 16,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBMike View Post
Hobby world had 2 tracks closed due to noise (one @ Miller & Bolanger and one in Gilroy). Andys RC-Unlimited track never really got off the ground for racing (I think we raced 2 times) but we practiced at that track for 2 summers before the neibors complained & the city (or county) came out & made him take down the best drivers stand ever (no permit). I go to Delta alot in the winter for the indoor but even with only a roof it can get real smoky in there with nitros. Some times you have to walk out into the fair grounds to get some O2 in your lungs. Norcal will have a limited number of nitro offroad races (until the neibors start complain). I race there regularly (electric).





yea im guessing the people in the neighborhood that are complaining are the old geezers . they act like a nitro engine is as loud, as a dam dirt bike or something or a 1/5 scale lol. its just stupid let people have fun .
tc5 man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:18 PM   #41
Tech Regular
 
Grimlock212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 382
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
yea im guessing the people in the neighborhood that are complaining are the old geezers . they act like a nitro engine is as loud, as a dam dirt bike or something or a 1/5 scale lol. its just stupid let people have fun .
Damn kids, stay off my lawn! <shakes fists>

Actually I think the reason is in this are people spend a ton of money to buy a home and want it quiet. A cheap home around the Bay Area is probably a quarter of a million dollars. It is crazy expensive out here. And most of these tracks are pretty close to homes.

I know the Nor-Cal Hobbies track is a few blocks from a school and homes.
__________________
Grimlock212
Losi 8ight 2.0: Clockwork Racing Engines JLR .21, Hitec 7955tg x2, Spektrum DX3S
Losi 8ight-T 2.0: Clockwork Racing Engines JLR .21, Hitec 7955tg x2, Spektrum DX3S
Losi Ten-T: 7/7/2, Kingpin tires, optional Losi Springs, Spektrum DX3S
Nor-Cal Hobbies: Union City, CA
Grimlock212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:21 PM   #42
Tech Prophet
 
tc5 man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: levittown pa
Posts: 16,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimlock212 View Post
Damn kids, stay off my lawn! <shakes fists>

Actually I think the reason is in this are people spend a ton of money to buy a home and want it quiet. A cheap home around the Bay Area is probably a quarter of a million dollars. It is crazy expensive out here. And most of these tracks are pretty close to homes.

I know the Nor-Cal Hobbies track is a few blocks from a school and homes.



yea i can understand that point but i, mean its not like theres racing the whole week outside right? just during the weekend ,and most people are partying or whatever lol. the tracks i been to in pa and nj ,are out on a land with no neighboorhoods so im lucky. and the tracks, arent that far ethier.
tc5 man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:29 PM   #43
Tech Addict
 
slasher man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 514
Default

Wow owow wow i just hrd ohh i dont like electric becouse it looks like it is fromm radio shack and has a battery radio shack my asss i got my slash hauling at 50. I love nitro as much as the next guy buy face it stop living in the past electric is better then nitro i know its not going to overrun nitro but it is so much easir i am not lazy but tuning clutch springs gas ect. I am going to switch my nitro buggy to electic but i will get a gas truggy becouse hay u have to love that nitro exhoust scent. And wen people were saying the non rc cars guys think ntro is coooler but i know i would be more appresd to see a electric car haulalot fster then nitro
__________________
sh zmxb-8 odonel zo1b
slasher man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:35 PM   #44
Tech Elite
 
madweazl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Posts: 2,578
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

I like both but when it comes to 1/8, I'm nitro all the way. Only thing that will get me doing 1/8 electric is if the tracks close to home close and I'm forced to go indoors.

I think the relative newness and ability to run them anywhere is making them popular at the moment. Long term costs on electric is much cheaper if you take care of your equipment.

All boils down to personal preference I think.
__________________
RadioPost
Mugen MBX7r | CRE Picco 5TR/2120 | Hitec 7950/7940
Tekno NB48 | B6 Pro/2058 | Hitec 7950/7940
Kyosho RB6 | Viper VTX10r/Reedy Mach 3 9.5 | Hitec 7940
Schumacher SX3 Pro | Viper VTX10r/Reedy Mach 2 8.5 | Hitec 7940
madweazl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:41 PM   #45
Tech Prophet
 
tc5 man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: levittown pa
Posts: 16,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slasher man View Post
Wow owow wow i just hrd ohh i dont like electric becouse it looks like it is fromm radio shack and has a battery radio shack my asss i got my slash hauling at 50. I love nitro as much as the next guy buy face it stop living in the past electric is better then nitro i know its not going to overrun nitro but it is so much easir i am not lazy but tuning clutch springs gas ect. I am going to switch my nitro buggy to electic but i will get a gas truggy becouse hay u have to love that nitro exhoust scent. And wen people were saying the non rc cars guys think ntro is coooler but i know i would be more appresd to see a electric car haulalot fster then nitro




a electric might be faster thats if you, can drive it on the track though . with the instant torque which i hate . i have a brushless motor on ,my rc18 and to be honest i dont like the, feel of it but thats just me.


the loudest electric i race is a slash lol.
tc5 man is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
nitro vs electric tats21 Electric Off-Road 29 07-23-2009 05:30 PM
Nitro Vs Electric stoptherockets3 Electric Off-Road 38 01-29-2008 07:39 AM
Nitro Vs Electric stoptherockets3 Nitro On-Road 292 01-28-2008 08:31 AM
Nitro Vs. Electric DR1919 Electric Off-Road 157 05-08-2007 06:17 AM
nitro vs. electric onroad race in dumfries,va. bigbob Racing Forum 15 10-08-2002 01:43 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 09:02 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net