R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 02-02-2010, 02:24 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to kodiakbear7070
Default associated GT 2 question

Been looking around for another project to do and to cut right to the chase i am heading strongley to hoping up a associated gt 2 taking all the carbon fiber out and replacing with all alluminum parts. getting into the motor section of it and finding it a lil tricky on that note hears a few questions.

1) is it possible to mount a .18 or the losi ten t engine in it the losi ten t has a .20 problem with it is I can not find a back plate so I could use my starter box and also not sure if the mounting screws would match up

2) can you replace the plastic spur gear with a metal if so what is the optional part to do this.

3) Is the traxxas motors much count at all as far as power and reliability

Thanks to any and all responces ahead of time
kodiakbear7070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:11 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to looper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiakbear7070 View Post
Been looking around for another project to do and to cut right to the chase i am heading strongley to hoping up a associated gt 2 taking all the carbon fiber out and replacing with all alluminum parts. getting into the motor section of it and finding it a lil tricky on that note hears a few questions.
The cf parts? there arent any cf parts on there.

Quote:

1) is it possible to mount a .18 or the losi ten t engine in it the losi ten t has a .20 problem with it is I can not find a back plate so I could use my starter box and also not sure if the mounting screws would match up
Any engine with small block mountings should mount up no problems. The mounts are reversable to make small adjustment.

A traxxas 2.5 will fit so i am assuming that a trx 3.3 or a rb323(monster truck) motors will fit as well. the big deal will be finding an engine whose mounts are small block spacing.

Quote:
2) can you replace the plastic spur gear with a metal if so what is the optional part to do this.
At this time i dont believe there is one made. it is a fairly complex mold to recreate. With proper gear mesh and slipper settings the stock gear should last a good amount of time.

Quote:
3) Is the traxxas motors much count at all as far as power and reliability
The traxxas motors are good for power and reliability. the carbs are their weak spot, they dont hold a tune that well. if you find one that does then hold on to it. one common fix is to slap a OS carb on there. the os 18tz has a rotary carb (and small block mounting as well) if you go the traxxas route then see if you can find a 18tz rotary carb, or just get the 18tz and put that mill in there.

Quote:
Thanks to any and all responces ahead of time

Good luck. one thing to try would be to put a 12 or 15 on there and give it a try in stock form. the gt2 is light and doesnt need alot of horsepower to go fast.

If you havent gotten a gt2 yet shoot me a line. i have one here that you might be interested in.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:49 AM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Ok first of all I am using my blackberry so I cannot post all the links, but to answer your questions I believe all the parts you asked about are already made
Newera models makes a bigblock conversion:http://www.neweramodels.com/item.cgi?part_id=2553

I am pretty sure robinson racing makes the steel spur gear you are asking about-just do a google search for robinson racing gt2 parts
shady3031 is offline   Reply With Quote