R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-31-2010, 08:51 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Default Every "X" gallon I get a new buggy

How many gallons do you run through a buggy before you think the upkeep is too much and it's more cost effective to buy a new one? Also what brand are you running. Only people who are sponsored by Visa & MasterCard.
jk1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:11 PM   #2
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk1152 View Post
How many gallons do you run through a buggy before you think the upkeep is too much and it's more cost effective to buy a new one? Also what brand are you running. Only people who are sponsored by Visa & MasterCard.
i run losi. Im gettin anal about slop where there is not supposed to be. I change out parts regularly(a arms,gear case,diff case,shock shaft, hinge pins) but once my chassis wears ill replace it and once the second one wears ill get a new buggy/truggy. This is prob 20 gallons IM GUESSING, i dont keep track of gallons to much because i race with my dad(i buy all my parts) A chassis lasted me a full year, im in az so we race year around and this is racing almost every weekend

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:17 PM   #3
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

you should only need a new buggy if you get sick of the one you have..Change out parts including chassis when needed and there should never be a reason to get a new one, unless you have the RC disease like the rest of us
Old 01-31-2010, 09:29 PM   #4
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I have been running a losi 2.0T all year long and only changes the rear arms one time, they are pretty damm sloppy but the truck still handles well, I am changing them though. I like to get a new truck/ buggy every year but I dont think its necessary. I usually end up getting the new update ie 1.0 to 2.0 or MBX5 to MBX6.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:42 PM   #5
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Only reason for a new buggy is if a new model comes out. I wouldn't be afraid to run my 1.0 Losi again. It has 30+ gallons after calculating the engines I used and how many engines. It became a dirt oval latemodel before I finally replaced it with another 1.0 buggy for the oval. The only reason I did this was because the 2.0 happened to come out. So the new 1.0 became the oval car when the 2.0 came out.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:04 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you race 2x a week pretty much year round I would say 2 kits per year. When your car gets pretty worn and you add up the cost to freshen it up its cheaper to get a new kit and use the old car for parts or a engine break in horse
Old 02-01-2010, 06:33 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
you should only need a new buggy if you get sick of the one you have..Change out parts including chassis when needed and there should never be a reason to get a new one, unless you have the RC disease like the rest of us
+ 1
nothin special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:36 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

New kit every season Nothing better than that fresh kit smell!

I just looked at refreshing my ride for this season. Cost of chassis, arms, center cvd's, bearings, new body, rod ends, etc. Better off with a new kit.
XT8 Hobbywing 150a esc/2000kv combo KILLER! Full rc-monster e conversion. 4s
slaytanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:25 AM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Cost dictates

When the RC8B came out I thought about getting it but in the end just ended up updating my RC8 to B specs. With the ebay chop shops and Amain discounts for parts, I ended up spending about $200 less than buying a new kit.

Granted, my chassis has wear and so does my drivetrain but honestly what difference does it make? If your chassis is tweaked, sure new is better but if it's only scratches and dimples from droop screws who cares? And the RC8 drivetrain is bullet proof. Coming from the TTR ST-1 I stocked up on diff internals and ring/pinions but I've NEVER changed them on the RC8. The originals show no signs or wear and mesh perfectly. My CVD's aren't perfectly straight but if I wanted to I have the replacements; and even on a new kit, one bad crash, ond bad landing and they'll get that same slight out of round anyway.

If I had money to burn, I'd buy new all the time. Since I don't, I upgrade and replace as needed.
Hobbymasters, Red Bank, NJ
Venom Group
marshon50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:23 AM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

i get one at the start of the new year...after i freshen up the old one i sell it cheap to try and get some more people interested......

JESUS SAVES, WESLEY
r1harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:30 PM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

You're a good dude helping to get others involved. I've got old vehicles I'll let people try out, but can't stomach spending $600 and only recouping $200 on a sale.
Hobbymasters, Red Bank, NJ
Venom Group
marshon50 is offline   Reply With Quote