R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-31-2010, 09:55 PM   #61
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

In a 30 min race the difference between pitting at 8-9 min and 10+ min pit stops makes an extra pit. The top 4 are usually only separated by a few seconds, it matters where I race.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:58 AM   #62
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by portyansky View Post
I can get over 13 minutes on 1 tank (truggy) on my AB modded Vspec.
1/2 an hour main 2 pit stops. Others 3 pit stops.
1 hour main... 4 pit stops, Others 4-5 pit stops

The proper moder can get you what you want. Fuel economy, power, better tune.

As far as pros running none modded engines, im pretty sure thats b/c the engine company they are sponsored by want to prove their engine can win without needing a mod.
Exactly! And you dont have to hack half of the engines internal materials away to accomplish this as a few have mentioned in this thread... and its the honest truth! A lot of experience, now how, the proper timing alterations and a few other things that also help

If in the right hands modifying an engine is worth it in every aspect IMHO. From run time to smooth power delivery which both help to make you faster on the track! Also you have those that are just bashing with there engines and want more power or the guys that are strictly Drag Racing. For them these services are very beneficial as well!
Old 02-01-2010, 01:10 PM   #63
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt4g63 View Post
Exactly! And you dont have to hack half of the engines internal materials away to accomplish this as a few have mentioned in this thread... and its the honest truth! A lot of experience, now how, the proper timing alterations and a few other things that also help

If in the right hands modifying an engine is worth it in every aspect IMHO. From run time to smooth power delivery which both help to make you faster on the track! Also you have those that are just bashing with there engines and want more power or the guys that are strictly Drag Racing. For them these services are very beneficial as well!
you are so right adam !!

the fact that you have a dyno (pretty sure you are the one with the dyno) also shows you directly how the changes made correlate to power directly . now relating on track performance to dyno data which i am sure you have spent a little time on
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:28 PM   #64
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
you are so right adam !!

the fact that you have a dyno (pretty sure you are the one with the dyno) also shows you directly how the changes made correlate to power directly . now relating on track performance to dyno data which i am sure you have spent a little time on
Yea myself and my drivers have spent just a little time testing on track data That's where you get to see the fuel economy of the engine and other characteristics of the engine such as tuning, trigger feel etc. The dyno is a GREAT "tool" and has its purpose and works VERY WELL for what it was intended for but it wont give you fuel efficiency data, so that's something that absolutely needs to be tested in the field.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:31 PM   #65
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank L View Post
Maybe the biggest advantage of running a modded engine is the boost in confidence that you get knowing that you have something that no one else on the track does, just enough to feel like you have an advantage. Its all in your head...
+1 on the psychological factor. Anyone ever heard of the placebo effect in drug trials. One group takes the actual drug, another takes a sugar pill and wham, a certain % of people on the sugar pill show actual improvement. It's the mind body connection and is no different than when talking about a modded vs stock motor. If your mind thinks its better, your body may very well perform better, react better on the trigger, steering, brakes, etc. You may very well get faster, but is it really the faster motor....who knows.

Conversely think about when you've had a shitty motor tuning day. You're in the race and praying your engine doesn't flame out. Do you really think your driving at your best when your thinking your engine may die at any moment?

BTW I have personally owned modded and stock motors. If I had the bucks, I'd get another Vspec modded, but since I don't I'll just run the Werks B5
Hobbymasters, Red Bank, NJ
Venom Group
marshon50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:09 PM   #66
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

thats it
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:58 AM   #67
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
thats it
Old 02-03-2010, 01:33 AM   #68
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Seriously Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
Jay, I'm not in the habit of listing the people that I think are the best in the field for a couple reasons. Some of them don't even offer their services to the public, and for the rest that do, I don't want to insult anyone by whether or not I list them as being one of the few. They rarely, if ever, frequent any forums.

As for the engine, there are various models from different brands that have been standouts over the years, but the current crop of O.S. competition engines are the ones that impress me the most. I have a lot of respect for other brands as well - but O.S. have a slight edge at the moment IMO.
I agree with you on the few that can, and why you won't tell on anybody, so first grade, but OS engines have had more problems than any other top line engine on the market in the last 10 -15 years dude... You defend Futaba, and defend OS, hmmm. Sounds fishy to me. Everyone knows novarossi makes the best engines. I've always listened to you in the magazines, car action, I loved that article on the third needle and how to tune it. Made my p5 rip at the track, but OS engines have the worst luck, and yes they run great, but cases cracking, rods replacing, loosing compression, carbs falling in half, bearings going bad, crankpin wearing prematurely. Come on...For an engine maker as old as OS you would think they would last, but every new generation wears quickly, or something goes wrong...How long has the p5 been ripping? Changed much? Nope.....
Old 02-03-2010, 05:37 AM   #69
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

some of you guys live in a very small world ! Jeez ...i would love to run one one of my modified mills next to one of your stockers......even a stupid Canadian can improve most engines.......figure that one out eh ! the world doesn't end outside California ! I promise I would have the naysayers eating their words in a big manner ! cheers boys !
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:20 AM   #70
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

You mean I don't need mympasport to leave CA?? JK.
I just had powerhouse mod a speed engine I will be testing it this week to see how it compares tk the stock speed. Maybe pretty soon all my engines will be modded hummmm
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:35 AM   #71
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I've had three modded engines in my nitro rc career

1st was an ABmodded OS .18tz I didn't personally run it but the person who bought it said it ripped and ran cool(don't know how they perform stock)

2nd was a Powerhouse modded Picco .28 this motor was absurd with power and ran cool to boot..I had to go up 2 teeth just to keep from topping out early and to have a smooth feel great gains over a stocker.(sold it on ebay way to much power for the track felt like more of a drag motor)

3rd A PTM Ofna Picco 3 port(RTR engine actually) was pretty fast in stock trim and I decided to go ahead and get it modded...once again vast improvement top to bottom went from being a 6 minute motor to a 7 1/2 minute motor smoother delivery and a noticeable top end gain(was it worth it yes I think so)

I am no expert by any means but I do have enough knowledge to tell the differences in the same truck,same fuel,same setup etc.

As many have stated in the higher end engines you probably won't notice much power difference but the fuel eco my be better...with that said would I mod a speed NO a blue head vspec,plus 4 or something along those lines yea
NitroLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:23 AM   #72
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

well all I can say is that I have 4 speeds 1 modded 3 stock
the modded one in my truggy gets 13.9 the rest get 8 they
are all fast but for me I like run time I will be getting the other
three done soon like Frank said one less pit stop that is like a
free 15sec on the field that maybe the diff in first or second add
a fuel gun in to the mix and it's more yet
I need all the help that I can get
so mod them if you got them
cary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:40 AM   #73
Tech Master

Default Mod or not Mod?

the answer to this question depends on what you're running... if it's not a top line engine that's getting over 10 minutes per tank, maybe do it. Personally, I would never touch any engine we run with a dremel. With the CNC technology available today, everything that can be done to the engines to make them faster is pretty much being done. The engine designers/testers spend their lives trying to get the engine exactly perfect, and the notion that some guy in another shop somewhere is going to make the engine better than say Andrea Rossi or Adrien Bertien is pretty silly. flame suit on...
pitpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:47 AM   #74
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

performance, run time and reliability can all be improved by modders, the sad part is in order to maximize one the othe two suffer.
I am not sponsored, these are the products I chose to support.
Serpent SRX8, Sanwa M11s, Sanwa SRX-BX servos, Picco 5TB
RAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:01 AM   #75
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitpop View Post
With the CNC technology available today, everything that can be done to the engines to make them faster is pretty much being done. The engine designers/testers spend their lives trying to get the engine exactly perfect
You pretty much buried yourself with that comment.

If it would really be the case then howcome companies like Novarossi, RB etc. have so many different models ? If they would make something "perfect" and "everything that can be done to the engines to make them faster is pretty much being done" why would you need anything else than one single model as it would be the fastest and most perfect one ? Why there is so many brands of engines and multiple models ? Because there are so many different approaches to things and in mass production every model is a compromise between what can be done and what is cost efficient enough to make the manufacturer decent profits. Why there is "factory tuned" engines if modding or tuning us useless ? If the factory engineers are the only ones capable of making a fast engine howcome they wont "tune" their engines in the first place and sell it as such ? And the list goes on.....
Poinas2 is offline   Reply With Quote