Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-31-2010, 10:05 AM   #46
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post

steve has been there and done that

that i know !!!!
houston i had no intention of bashing it was meant that if your gonna come in and trash all these guys give more of who you are then he did .He made his reply sound like the 900 other arrogant replys you see all the time.I am sorry if it was took that way.Im always intrested in learning from others experiance because i beleive if no one tried anything new then nothing would ever change or no new product developments would ever happen.Like it was said these engineers are good but they are not the only authority in making something better.
littlelane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:32 AM   #47
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelane View Post
houston i had no intention of bashing it was meant that if your gonna come in and trash all these guys give more of who you are then he did .He made his reply sound like the 900 other arrogant replys you see all the time.I am sorry if it was took that way.Im always intrested in learning from others experiance because i beleive if no one tried anything new then nothing would ever change or no new product developments would ever happen.Like it was said these engineers are good but they are not the only authority in making something better.
Good response lane

Portflows are important but not the only key factor in engine tuning , crank intake timings and duration length are HUGE !! Proper atomization of the incoming fuel is HUGE!!! Exhaust timing as roelof said is HUGE!! Which means proper pipe having the guys who were considered gurus confirm your thoughts and theories is a good feeling

Yes I will say the manufacturers do much testing ( except for copycats) with r&d through team drivers and come up with improvents constantly .

This thread is funny stuff!! LOL
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM

Last edited by houston; 01-31-2010 at 11:20 AM.
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:59 AM   #48
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 309 (100%+)

i perfer to run stock engines, will a modded engine win you races, no , just practice. not all engine can handle being mod.especially if it has poor quality material. Etc go tech. i had a stock and modded one . my stock out lasted my modded one. yeah it was a had a little more power but it did not last as long as my stocker.
Mercenary Racer
jmoneym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:21 AM   #49
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAlmeida View Post
Well like the title says, what do you all think of moded motors?
Power?
Life span?
Fuel economy?
Cost?
Electric conversion.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:22 AM   #50
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG RC 10T View Post
Electric conversion.
Doah thought I was in the e section of the fourm, sorry
Old 01-31-2010, 03:12 PM   #51
Tech Rookie

Default to mod or not to mod

a modified engine can give that extra edge on the track,or it may hinder your driving if you cant put that extra power down and control it,up to you. i think a few modders on here probably do a very good job, you dont have to be a rocket scientist to make more power with these motors were talkin basically 3 moving parts aside from bearings, BUT you need to no what your doing and have the right tools. i do my own modifying,freinds so on,and have done so for a very long time,one of the things that gets me is the claims of more noticeable hp and longer run time, more run time can be achieved buy modding,header pipe selection, but having alot more power to go with it I dont think so,variables of run time ,,air cleaner,carb restrictors,typ of fuel,oil content,nitro content,lenght of fuel line,head shims,typ of header pipe,the weather,age of engine,air leeks,your clutch set up,typ of buggy,truck,car,gearing,glow plug,up hill down hill,bearings ect..do you really no. another thing thats gets me is, break your motor in with fuel your going to race with, so lets say 30% with 10 oil, not a good practice, high nitro during break in can cause your bearings to skip in the race leaving flat spots use caster in your fuel and low nitro content then go for it. maximo is spot on it was the back yard tuner,mechanic,machinist that plowed the way for making more hp in many cases not the manufacturer,a plug for me hear, i will soon be offering a engine service ,resleeving con rods,crank pin replacement, custom fit new pistons, and probably full engine mods, very attractive prices, more on that in about a month i will post, happy motoring
rodmanrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:11 PM   #52
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

To say you can't make a stock engine perform better is just crazy. Yes the top engine manufacturers spend thousands on R&D to put out a great engine, but think about it like this. They are still catering to the RC market which is fairly small. Compare that to the millions Honda spends on R&D yearly. It's common knowledge that Honda has more money than any other motorcycle manufacturer in the world. They have the top engineers, top builders, R&D, you name it. So how many stock Hondas do you think there are racing supercross right now? None
My point is, if there's room for improvement from and engine produced from the winningest company in the world, there's room for improvement in these little Nitro engines.
pickle311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:29 PM   #53
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickle311 View Post
To say you can't make a stock engine perform better is just crazy. Yes the top engine manufacturers spend thousands on R&D to put out a great engine, but think about it like this. They are still catering to the RC market which is fairly small. Compare that to the millions Honda spends on R&D yearly. It's common knowledge that Honda has more money than any other motorcycle manufacturer in the world. They have the top engineers, top builders, R&D, you name it. So how many stock Hondas do you think there are racing supercross right now? None
My point is, if there's room for improvement from and engine produced from the winningest company in the world, there's room for improvement in these little Nitro engines.
I think the common theme from the posts is that there is not as much improvement room as engines of old . There really are only so many things you can do with so many moving parts
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
Old 01-31-2010, 07:27 PM   #54
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Yes houston I agree, in the motors you sell you can mod a .21 bf and feel quite a difference. Have the same modder mod the top of the line nova and it may be improved but alot less noticeable.
I am not a fan of the modders who grind alot of material away, a simple timng change is more beneficial.

Rex
Fx Royal engines/ Maxy Engines
e-mail rwmods@yahoo.com Rex Welch
22Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:25 PM   #55
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22Racer View Post
Yes houston I agree, in the motors you sell you can mod a .21 bf and feel quite a difference. Have the same modder mod the top of the line nova and it may be improved but alot less noticeable.
I am not a fan of the modders who grind alot of material away, a simple timng change is more beneficial.

Rex
Old 01-31-2010, 08:30 PM   #56
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Maybe the biggest advantage of running a modded engine is the boost in confidence that you get knowing that you have something that no one else on the track does, just enough to feel like you have an advantage. Its all in your head...
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:06 PM   #57
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Run a Speed and you wont need to mod.
818Designs.net - TKO
sickboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:17 PM   #58
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickboy View Post
Run a Speed and you wont need to mod.
+1
Old 01-31-2010, 09:36 PM   #59
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Thats not entirely true. I run OS Speed engines and so does a buddy of mine except he has 1 thats modded and his will go for 1-2 mins longer than mine, same truck, same fuel, same plug, same EB mods head button, same smart diffs. The only difference is his is modded. Over all power is pretty much the same. That was enough for me I replaced the p/s/r and bearings and sent one of mine off to be modded.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:51 PM   #60
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

pitting between 9-11 mark is pretty standard for my neck of the woods our races are geared for these times increasing the time for me doesn't really do much.