R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-24-2010, 10:55 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to tsiconquest88
Default losi xxxnt engine upgrade???

my nephew has one these and wants to know what larger engines can be used that will still work for his motor mounts, throttle linkage and such without having to go nuts changing that stuff. he has a .15 mach with the rotary carb, i seen the bigger engines for losi have a regular slide carb but that would require changing linkages and such. Heck with all that, there must be a losi or such bigger engine he can use that will mount right up, linkage connect to and go run!!!
tsiconquest88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:20 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

they make a .12 and a .18 engine for the 1/10th scale nitro and they have many diffrent models of the 2 engines just like any of them but the .18 motor in a xxxnt is just crazy i personallt thingk its just too much for it the .12 motors are more reasonable size for them just because its smoother and more controlable imo but the motor that comes stock with the xxxnt just rocks my dad and i both have them and i couldnt ask for a better engine in my 1/10th nitro i mean there cheap and they rip it has no problemspulling wheelies and the powerband is amazing so if i was your nephew i would change it unless he wants to race it and then consider the .12 but if hes just learning how to drive/take care of nitros it just let him be imo
superdave2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:28 PM   #3
Tech Addict

sorry double post
Old 01-24-2010, 07:05 PM   #4
Tech Initiate

no his engine went and he figured hey i might as well go bigger and faster. So he asked me to look around for .18's or soemthing but idk losi much, i have an ofna i setup with a novaroassi and he wants to be at least as quick as it and since his car is much smaller than mine and lighter i figured a .18 or so would bring him up to some decent power over what it had. It was OK but not really anything to go nuts over. I mean i can put any engine in but we dont want to have to have the car be switched over to a setup that would accept slide carb and need to get linkage to work on his car for that and on top of it have to change and or rig motor mounts, etc.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:31 PM   #5
Tech Addict

well there are many diffrent kinds of .12s .15 and .18 motors and they make all the models in slide/rotary carb types and im pretty sure not 100% sure that all them motors are the same block size and will mount up in the stock xxxnt mounts but do some research on them i would reccomend the os and dynamite brand engines they are both great engines and relativly cheap in the price department i have never had any problems with either one of them
Old 01-25-2010, 06:38 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)

how much he got to spend? i put one of those jlr in my xxxnt and i freaking loved it!!!ive heard the dynamite are really nice motors. a .18 in my friends nt was so dumb. you couldnt keep the front end down it got old after awhile. and theses .12 rip

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ff-Road-Engine

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ff-Road-Engine
rcdude236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:22 AM   #7
Tech Initiate

the second link may be a go!!!! the first link you posted def not going to buy just to try as its not the right carb setup, its slide carb and switching his carb to the engine will do 2 things, either wont fit in the slot of the engine, or not supply the same air/fuel that the slide carb that the engine comes with does.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:03 AM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

You can't go wrong with any o.s .12 engine! I have one on my xxx-nt and it rips.
phaqu22 is offline   Reply With Quote