R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-24-2010, 07:35 AM   #16
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Questions??

How durable is the Losi rtr? Am I going to worry about it when messing around with friends on or off the track? Not expecting bulletproof since anything can break.
Doxiedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:37 AM   #17
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I already have a radio and the servos for it.

Thanks Ryan
Marcca
RC Performance
KZ 250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:01 AM   #18

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

well then there u go. buy the RTR, and sell the radio sys and telem on ebay. then ur ready to go for 400bux, motor starter box and all

in time if u want a 'better' (use that term loosely)....then spring for teh BCE unit which is full hardened (not the sandwich job that the Losi TFT is).

good luck

R
UltegraSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:13 AM   #19
Tech Prophet

i dont quite agree with that you have to spend, $1000 to race a 1/8 nitro buggy. espially if you are, club racing and not going to big events. you can get good diginal,,, servos around $90 . ..

like orion vortex servos they have alum, and titanuim gears and a heatsink on it too. i actually run a orion servo .on my losi eight 1.0 b and, zero problems and i havnt heard, of any negative reviews...

and espially if you get a hb d8 buggy ,you will defiely have prently of money left for a good engine . plus what i do remmend if you are ,a budget is look around online for the cheapest, prices on equiment . but do check out your lhs still.

and i do agree with jbright 33 the losi eight buggy, can be a handfull but with the right setup it actually, isnt to bad . but this is coming from, a former 2wd gas truck driver, so nothing suprises me lol.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:03 PM   #20
JUD
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I think he said "BUDGET" in the beginning of this thread
Old 01-24-2010, 02:32 PM   #21
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Thank you all for the replies. I am also looking at brushless conversions and im just trying to find the best deal and whats going to be best in the long run.

Ryan
Marcca
RC Performance
KZ 250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:00 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

When I was in the market I spent a lot of time trying to figure the most economical and SMART route to go. If buying new, I think it's impossible to get everything for the price you'll pay for the 8ight 2.0 RTR. There isnt anything you MUST replace to drop it on the track.
Kyosho RB6 | Viper VTX10r/Reedy Mach 3 9.5 | Hitec 7940
Schumacher SX3 Pro | Viper VTX10r/Reedy Mach 2 8.5 | Hitec 7940
madweazl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:39 PM   #23
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Dude,

Don't take this the wrong way, you started out bad with your first sentence, " Looking for a budget level buggy or truggy " .

If your looking to just hang out at the local track and have fun, then you might do ok. But if you are looking for any type of competitive racing outside of local club, like R/C pro series, national events, or state championships, you'll be dissapointed.

I have a few seasons of racing under my belt, and I thought this my first season as well. But later on what I learned was, If you start out saying I'm on a max budget, then you are on a max budget for fun. Sure driving skill has more to do with it than anything, but If you are just getting into racing, your skill level most likely is not that high.

If you want to go out every weekend and or racing and have the most fun possible, then it will cost you. I'm not saying that you have to spend a fortune and buy the best of the best, but this hobby is expensive, expecially 1/8th scale. If you go out to the track with jank stuff, you will just get frustrated, upset, and lose interest.

Buy good stuff. Look what many of the others that you intend to race with have. When you start off, it is important that you don't go cheap. Buy the stuff that you NEED, wait till you get more experience to buy the stuff you WANT.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:45 PM   #24
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsober1 View Post
Dude,

Don't take this the wrong way, you started out bad with your first sentence, " Looking for a budget level buggy or truggy " .

If your looking to just hang out at the local track and have fun, then you might do ok. But if you are looking for any type of competitive racing outside of local club, like R/C pro series, national events, or state championships, you'll be dissapointed.

I have a few seasons of racing under my belt, and I thought this my first season as well. But later on what I learned was, If you start out saying I'm on a max budget, then you are on a max budget for fun. Sure driving skill has more to do with it than anything, but If you are just getting into racing, your skill level most likely is not that high.

If you want to go out every weekend and or racing and have the most fun possible, then it will cost you. I'm not saying that you have to spend a fortune and buy the best of the best, but this hobby is expensive, expecially 1/8th scale. If you go out to the track with jank stuff, you will just get frustrated, upset, and lose interest.

Buy good stuff. Look what many of the others that you intend to race with have. When you start off, it is important that you don't go cheap. Buy the stuff that you NEED, wait till you get more experience to buy the stuff you WANT.
So if I'm only gonna club race once a month at most and the rest of the time just playing around would the 8ight 2.0 rtr be overkill?

I had a Revo 3.3 but the MT thing didn't work for me so I'm looking at the 1/8 buggies.
Doxiedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:57 PM   #25
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doxiedad View Post
So if I'm only gonna club race once a month at most and the rest of the time just playing around would the 8ight 2.0 rtr be overkill?

I had a Revo 3.3 but the MT thing didn't work for me so I'm looking at the 1/8 buggies.
By no means can I say anything would be over-kill. Everyone WANTS to have nice things. Its just a matter of if you NEED it.

Just like in the real world, sure you may would WANT a BMW, but a Chevy would fit most NEEDS.

What I am trying to say is, don't limit yourself to a set budget. But instead buy only the stuff that you will NEED TO HAVE FUN. Everyone hates it when their stuff doesn't work properly. Save a few hundred buck and struggle throughout the season, or just spend the cash up front and have fun all year long.

I'm not trying to tell you what to buy, just buy something nice even if it costs a bit more

In the last few months I spend over $1000 in motors and $400 in tires. Sure I didn't need them, but I wanted them

Your Welcome

Last edited by Unsober1; 01-24-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Unsober1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:02 PM   #26
Tech Fanatic

How about a brand new never opened XRAY XT8 Truggy!Its not the 09 spec but its brand new kit. $400.00.Its going on ebay this week.
CHOAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:19 PM   #27
Tech Prophet

if you want to club race on a budget, and race 1/8 buggy like i do, and just count on my driving. get a nova .21 bf, and a $90 orion vortex ,1007 servo
for the steering its a, unrated servo i love my zero problems. \

and for a throttle servo a analog servo, is fine espially if your a beginner.
and everything else like tires and a, starter box you will have money left.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:20 PM   #28
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHOAS View Post
How about a brand new never opened XRAY XT8 Truggy!Its not the 09 spec but its brand new kit. $400.00.Its going on ebay this week.

really thats a really good price, for a xray i would jump right on that!
Old 01-26-2010, 08:35 AM   #29
Tech Elite

Where are you from? Do you like mail order or want to support the lhs? This is very important also in your decision making.

If the track is at your LHS, a company like Caster USA or A Main Hobbies cannot help you if you break a part on the track in the first heat, etc... so you will have to stock up on parts.

BUT, a lot of lhs do not carry every part for Losi or Traxxas or whomever either, so then it becomes a crap shoot for you.

If your track is separate from selling parts, then you need to stock up on parts. If you travel, you need to stock up on parts.....

See a trend? Just something to think about.
Semi-Retired from this industry at this time.
hakmazter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:58 AM   #30
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Man if you want a budget RC then join team terribles at http://teamterribles.com/ pay the 20 bucks for a t shirt and look at the discounts they offer. Its well worth the $20.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote