Wiki Posts
Search

hot bodies d8

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 06:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)
Default hot bodies d8

Hey im looking into getting a hot bodies d8 and ive heard some bad things about the cvds. Ive heard they go out a lot. is this true or have they fixed it? and how durable is it compared to like the losi or mugen? ive also heard there are a few things i need to make it race ready? If so what do i gotta do?
Old 01-23-2010, 06:34 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I had the same concerns you do. But after reading up on the thread for the D8 I was convinced that the few bad things about the buggy were not any reason for me to not get it.

There are some cvd issues, but if you take care of them (pack them with grease and cover them) they will hold up. THey do also make some upgrades in that area. I haven't tried them, I am going to stick with the stockers for now.

As for durability, I think the Losi and Mugen are probably a little more durable. But the D8's parts are much more affordable, so it's not a big cost to keep some spares on hand.

IMO, the D8 is pretty much race ready out of the box. I know several good drivers that are running them mostly stock. HB makes a ton of lightweight parts for the D8.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

rawolfee explains it well. The D8 had some early issues with the CVD's not holding up very well, but they did some running changes and now all the kits come with a new version.

I had early issues too, but now have been running the same ones for a long time. It does help to give them a little bit of grease once in a while. Also just keep an eye on the barrel and pin during maintenance. If you start getting a lot of slop in them, just invest in a CVD rebuild kit. Keeping the slop out of them will lengthen the life of the shaft. The front center CVD lives a tough life, so dont ignore it.

HB does offer the WCE vesrion of the CVD's, and wear much better. They do also offer the lightweight stuff, so as you go you can add some of these things. The best bang for the buck is the drive train stuff.

The D8 is a little on the heavy side (stock), but I feel it adds to the stability, and makes it easy to drive. I switched from another popular brand, and instantly improved by 1-2 seconds a lap, in stock form.

There are tons of good set-ups out there, and the HB guys are always willing to help out!

Good luck.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:28 AM
Tech Addict

Default Don't know about CVD's but

A guy brought one to the the races yesterday and dominated the field. He usually races buggy so it was even more impressive as this was his first time to drive a trug. Looked pretty good to me on the track.

Griz
Old 01-24-2010, 03:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

I've run HB for over a year and still havent had a CVD issue..... some things get alittle blown out of poportion on the forums

World Champ and Jesse just lapped the field twice at CRCRC.... The car works, no matter what the naysayers try come up with to not buy one
Old 01-24-2010, 04:37 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Tony Newland
I've run HB for over a year and still havent had a CVD issue..... some things get alittle blown out of poportion on the forums

World Champ and Jesse just lapped the field twice at CRCRC.... The car works, no matter what the naysayers try come up with to not buy one
+1 results dont lie: