R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   mbx5t big block motor mount help (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/363012-mbx5t-big-block-motor-mount-help.html)

mattozx6rr 01-22-2010 07:19 AM

mbx5t big block motor mount help

:confused:I have an issue with motor mounts. I am going from an .21 os motor to a .28 picco in my MBX5T. The Picco is longer and will not work with the stock motor mount. Who makes a good 1 piece motor mount to put a big block in my truggy? If need be I can fabricate one but would rather spend my time at the track than in the garage.

Thanks in advance for any help.

DOMIT 01-22-2010 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by mattozx6rr (Post 6890886)
:confused:I have an issue with motor mounts. I am going from an .21 os motor to a .28 picco in my MBX5T. The Picco is longer and will not work with the stock motor mount. Who makes a good 1 piece motor mount to put a big block in my truggy? If need be I can fabricate one but would rather spend my time at the track than in the garage.

Thanks in advance for any help.

.28 Picco is longer? :confused: I thought everything from .21 up was the same... are you sure you don't have the motor mounts backward or something?

Maximo 01-22-2010 09:03 AM

a bumpstart Picco 28 fits just fine.... a pullstart wont fit....

DOMIT 01-22-2010 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Maximo (Post 6891363)

Hmmm... good point.

mattozx6rr 01-22-2010 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Maximo (Post 6891363)

Is that ther reason the block is almost a quarter of an inch longer on the picco?

mattozx6rr 01-22-2010 09:26 AM

Just for reference, the picco is a P3 -.28 and the OS is a VG -.21. I dont know much about motors at this point, just getting back into this sport.
When you put them motor mount to motor mount the bearing face on the block of the Picco is almost a quarter of an inch further forward than the os yet the rear of the engines is located the same.

GREGORY! 01-22-2010 10:25 AM

you must grind it just a little.
i made the same with the picco p7 evo 2.
it's not a big deal.

DOMIT 01-22-2010 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by mattozx6rr (Post 6891473)
Just for reference, the picco is a P3 -.28 and the OS is a VG -.21. I dont know much about motors at this point, just getting back into this sport.
When you put them motor mount to motor mount the bearing face on the block of the Picco is almost a quarter of an inch further forward than the os yet the rear of the engines is located the same.

Line them up so the cylinder heads are even... or better yet, so the holes in the motor mount are even. Where is the extra length now? The distance from the front motor mount hole to the end of the bearing face on the front should be virtually identical. Am I correct?

Pics would be helpful.

Maximo 01-22-2010 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by DOMIT (Post 6891735)
Line them up so the cylinder heads are even... or better yet, so the holes in the motor mount are even. Where is the extra length now? The distance from the front motor mount hole to the end of the bearing face on the front should be virtually identical. Am I correct?

Pics would be helpful.

good point.

it has also been years since I used a stock MBX5T mount, I run all KH mounts on my rigs

mattozx6rr 01-22-2010 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by DOMIT (Post 6891735)
The distance from the front motor mount hole to the end of the bearing face on the front should be virtually identical. Am I correct?

Pics would be helpful.

That is where the difference is. The Picco is a little under a quarter of an inch longer than the OS.

I would post pics but I am at work right now.

I have been told at this point from another RC driver that the Mugen MBX5T motor mounts were designed for small blocks only. Someone has to have an aftermarket big block mount.

Only reason I am trying to get the PICCO .28 in is it was given to me for free with only 2 gal through it and I wanted to see if it makes much difference on the track.
I am In the process of putting the cash together for a V-Spec right now so I dont want to burn time on fabbing a motor mount just to cast it aside when the V-Spec arrives.

Thanks for all the help so far you guys.

Maximo 01-22-2010 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by mattozx6rr (Post 6891778)
That is where the difference is. The Picco is a little under a quarter of an inch longer than the OS.

I would post pics but I am at work right now.

I have been told at this point from another RC driver that the Mugen MBX5T motor mounts were designed for small blocks only. Someone has to have an aftermarket big block mount.

Only reason I am trying to get the PICCO .28 in is it was given to me for free with only 2 gal through it and I wanted to see if it makes much difference on the track.
I am In the process of putting the cash together for a V-Spec right now so I dont want to burn time on fabbing a motor mount just to cast it aside when the V-Spec arrives.

Thanks for all the help so far you guys.

You should be able to make it fit..a Picco 28 is a big block, but so is a VG and V-Spec....the MBX series machines were all built for big blocks.... the Picco 28 may be slightly longer but you should be able to make it fit.....

mattozx6rr 01-22-2010 10:50 AM

When I put the picco in the spur gear rubs directly against the clutch bell and only catches the edge of the gears on the clutch bell. I think at this point I may just put it on the shelf for a rainy day project and just get the v spec on its way.

Thanks for your help.

wingracer 01-22-2010 10:52 AM

OK, so the problem is that this motor is longer right? So it doesn't fit because you can't get the motor to move back far enough to keep the clutch from hitting the spur gear? Does this sound right?

If so, you should be able to just grind the holes in the chassis out a bit so the motor mount will slide back more. This will not affect putting a VSpec in it, as you would just have to slide the motor mount forward again.

wingracer 01-22-2010 10:53 AM

Oh, and a different mount will not help as they will all be built with the same dimensions.

Maximo 01-22-2010 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by mattozx6rr (Post 6891835)
When I put the picco in the spur gear rubs directly against the clutch bell and only catches the edge of the gears on the clutch bell. I think at this point I may just put it on the shelf for a rainy day project and just get the v spec on its way.

Thanks for your help.

what flywheel are you using ? you may be able to gain some clearance by taking some off the backside of the collet...... You may be using a thick flywheel, the Mugen flywheels are very shallow to allow enough clearance......