R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-21-2010, 04:57 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)
Default Futaba or KO Propo transmitter?

Need a little input on a purchase I'm about to make.

I was all set to buy a 4PK, but I've been reading about the issues they've been having. I think the overheating on the RX's was taken care of with the 604, but I've been seeing some TX display, and crappy customer service related issues. With the display, are the older ones the problem, or do the ones made recently still have the issue?

I'm a Futaba guy from way back, but there was a 20 year gap where I was out of RC, so things could have changed greatly since then. I was looking at the latest issue of RCCA, and saw the ad for the KO Propo EX10 Eurus. What's the general consensus of KO Propo vs. Futaba? Is the response time of the FASST 2.4 GHz, really that much better than the other brands?

I know the Eurus isn't out yet, so I likely won't get any 4PK vs. EX10 direct comparisons, but what about the KO brand in general?

Thanks....
Stubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:04 PM   #2
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jpalessi Send a message via Skype™ to jpalessi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbs View Post
Need a little input on a purchase I'm about to make.

I was all set to buy a 4PK, but I've been reading about the issues they've been having. I think the overheating on the RX's was taken care of with the 604, but I've been seeing some TX display, and crappy customer service related issues. With the display, are the older ones the problem, or do the ones made recently still have the issue?

I'm a Futaba guy from way back, but there was a 20 year gap where I was out of RC, so things could have changed greatly since then. I was looking at the latest issue of RCCA, and saw the ad for the KO Propo EX10 Eurus. What's the general consensus of KO Propo vs. Futaba? Is the response time of the FASST 2.4 GHz, really that much better than the other brands?

I know the Eurus isn't out yet, so I likely won't get any 4PK vs. EX10 direct comparisons, but what about the KO brand in general?

Thanks....
futaba performance is great, but the customer service is BY FAR the worst I've ever dealt with in any industry. just flat out horrible! with that said here are some links to my very recent situation. IM KO BOUND!
Futaba Service Center Horror Show

FUTABA BLOWOUT SALE <gotta good deal for ya.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:12 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Good to hear that!!

www.trackstarrc.com ~ www.facebook.com/TrackStarRC ~ Home of the 2x's Stock Nationals Champion TS-Gold & TS-Black tire sauce, TS-1+ lubricants, TS-Precision bearings, XRG Xtreme Racing Grease, Scale Auto Engineering, ElevenTech, WRD2, Carbon 12, Stiff Products
Racecrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:20 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jpalessi Send a message via Skype™ to jpalessi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecrafter View Post
Good to hear that!!
Jimmy, I spoke with Rob today, very nice guy! Thx for the referral!
Old 01-21-2010, 05:46 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalessi View Post
futaba performance is great, but the customer service is BY FAR the worst I've ever dealt with in any industry. just flat out horrible! with that said here are some links to my very recent situation. IM KO BOUND!

+1
I am not sponsored, these are the products I chose to support.
Serpent SRX8, Sanwa M11s, Sanwa SRX-BX servos, Picco 5TB
RAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 06:48 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalessi View Post

I've run some of my fellow club members' cars on our track with a 4PK, so I've got a good feel for how it compares to Spektrum. What I'd really like to know is how the speed of FASST system compares to the speed of the DDS system that KO uses.

I'll likely wait until the Eurus comes out, so I can put my hands on one and see how it feels. Of course, if the resounding response is that the KO 2.4GHz system sucks monkey balls compared to FASST, I'll have to re-think that plan.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:51 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to porkchop Send a message via Yahoo to porkchop

i think i gone speek for about ever one who runs a ex10 with a drop down you cant bury that radio out my hand
Old 01-21-2010, 07:41 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchop View Post
i think i gone speek for about ever one who runs a ex10 with a drop down you cant bury that radio out my hand
Now that sounds like brand loyalty!
Old 01-21-2010, 09:56 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to porkchop Send a message via Yahoo to porkchop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbs View Post
Now that sounds like brand loyalty!
i was in a bad car acident on the way to a race about 2 years ago they inbound my car and took me to the hospuital when we got the total car back my ko radio was under a foot snow dug it out and gusse what it still worked till i got a new one
Old 01-22-2010, 12:03 AM   #10
Tech Elite

I have a UR and it is awesome. I would like to get a Euro's. It will sell fast. Great product. Robert from what I have seen and heard does a great job on the service end.
Chris Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 03:28 AM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

I will add to this with my experience. I used to run a 3PK with the spektrum module and receivers and while it worked well for the most part, it would glitch often and on a couple tracks there would be dead spots in the same area lap after lap where I would lose all radio contact with the car and it would ghost ride for a couple seconds before picking back up so I had to make sure I was lined up before it hit the dead spot. I bought 3 different style receivers and 2 different transmitters and never figured it out. I know some other locals that had similar issues while others did not so I have no idea what happened there. Then we upgraded to the fasst system and had thermal shut downs constantly. Futaba said to cut holes in my radio box. We just sold the systems and I gambled on the new ex-10 helios with the new SS from KO and it has been great! I have been using for well over a year and the feel is as fast as any of the other systems I have used and customer service has been wonderful. Everytime I have called, someone answered the phone and also spoke English so that was a big plus for me. The only thing I had to have looked at was a servo that had a motor go bad and I sent it in and had it back in my hands in less than 2 weeks and they warrantied it no questions asked. I have sent servos into futaba and ace before and 5 months later and a few phone calls, I finally would see them after I already replaced them because they took so long to get them back to me. Overall the system has been flawless and the radio is extremely comfortable and fairly light especially with a lipo in it. Also the entire system including the new digital servos can run lipos without a regulator which is very nice. One less thing to fail and burn something up. That has been my experience so far and I am sure you will get different opinions as you ask around but everyone I talk to locally that runs KO really likes the system and has no complaints about the customer service. Good luck with whatever you purchase!
PowerHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 05:31 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerHouse View Post
I will add to this with my experience. I used to run a 3PK with the spektrum module and receivers and while it worked well for the most part, it would glitch often and on a couple tracks there would be dead spots in the same area lap after lap where I would lose all radio contact with the car and it would ghost ride for a couple seconds before picking back up so I had to make sure I was lined up before it hit the dead spot. I bought 3 different style receivers and 2 different transmitters and never figured it out. I know some other locals that had similar issues while others did not so I have no idea what happened there. Then we upgraded to the fasst system and had thermal shut downs constantly. Futaba said to cut holes in my radio box. We just sold the systems and I gambled on the new ex-10 helios with the new SS from KO and it has been great! I have been using for well over a year and the feel is as fast as any of the other systems I have used and customer service has been wonderful. Everytime I have called, someone answered the phone and also spoke English so that was a big plus for me. The only thing I had to have looked at was a servo that had a motor go bad and I sent it in and had it back in my hands in less than 2 weeks and they warrantied it no questions asked. I have sent servos into futaba and ace before and 5 months later and a few phone calls, I finally would see them after I already replaced them because they took so long to get them back to me. Overall the system has been flawless and the radio is extremely comfortable and fairly light especially with a lipo in it. Also the entire system including the new digital servos can run lipos without a regulator which is very nice. One less thing to fail and burn something up. That has been my experience so far and I am sure you will get different opinions as you ask around but everyone I talk to locally that runs KO really likes the system and has no complaints about the customer service. Good luck with whatever you purchase!
Thanks for the info Mark. From what I can tell in the pictures, it looks like the Eurus uses a 2.4GHz module instead of having native 2.4 on the radio itself (there appears to be an antenna mounting hole on the top of the case for FM). Is using a module good / bad / indifferent than having the frequency built into the transmitter?

Please forgive my lack of knowledge on this. I've been using a DX2.0 for the past year, just to avoid freq. conflicts. Back when I was using Futaba, the first pistol grip radios were just starting to come out.....remember the old twin stick days guys?

By the way, I just picked up one of your motor heater sleeves. Great product! I had it on my motor almost all day during my race last weekend (it was in teh 30's & 40's). Everytime my heat race came up, the motor fired right up and was ready to run!

I highly recommend one of Mark's warmers to anyone who preheats their motors before starting....it's VERY convenient.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:27 AM   #13
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I have been a Futaba guy for all of my RC life, until just recently. I had tried a Spektrum DX3s and I got one with all the glitching issues. I got it fixed and got rid of it and traded it for a KO Propo EX-1 UR and then I purchased the 2.4 system. I have to say I love the radio. It just works. The RX's are small as small can be, and the response is fast. The only down fall is extra RX's are anywhere between $70 and $130. The only issue I could see with the module setup is that the antenna sticks out and if the radio is dropped you could snap the antenna. But that's why you gots to take care of your stuff. But I would still recommend a KO Propo to my friends.

"A bad race day is still better than a Good work day!"
Goomba_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:01 AM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

I wouldn't worry about it being a seperate module. I have one of the old DX2 radios in my break in/ test and tune car and it works well. I definately like the idea of it all built in as one unit but I have not had any trouble with the mudule. I will say this though, one of the guys I sponsor just switched to the KO system and accidently hooked up his lipo backwards and fried the module and I had him a brand new seperate piece in 5 days and it was only $76 shipped. If it was built in to the transmitter, that would have been alot more expensive and most likely they would want the whole thing back to look at. I am sending the module out to get looked at and I will let you know what they do even though technically it was his fault They may warranty it for the heck of it or they may not but we will soon find out.

I am glad you like the heater. It is a great little device. Easy to use and an engine lifesaver.
PowerHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:16 AM   #15
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to JoeyTheRocket Send a message via Yahoo to JoeyTheRocket

The 604 and 603 both have the same issues. The issue has not been fixed as of yet.

Stay Airtronics, KO or Spektrum. When you have thousand of dollars in your toys you want to trust whats controlling it. I have zero trust in the 4PK after running it a whole year. I even had support from Futaba and still had issues with the product.

The guys at Hobbico were good to me, but the Futaba product wasn't....