R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-20-2010, 01:50 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default LiPo Receiver Pack Questions

Hi

I just ordered a 2300mAh 7.4V receiver LiPo to run in my Losi 8ight and have a few questions:

1. What else do I need to run it on a standard receiver? I already have a charger with a balancer so I think I need a regulator. Do you need to run a balancer thing whilst it's in the car or just when charging?

2. What amperage should I charge it at? I've heard you divide the mAh by 1000, so that would mean about 2 amps, is that right?

Cheers
Ben
teamshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:18 AM   #2
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Most lipo packs can only be charged at a 1C rate max, which for a 2300MAH would be 2.3 amps.Unless you are running a spektrum RX you will need a regulator to be safe.There are a few different regulators on the market, depending on what servos you run you will need to adjust. If your running high torque,high speed servos you will need atleast a 5 amp regulator, if not you can probably get away with a 3 amp. one thing to remember is to ALWAYS unplug your regulator from the battery when your not using it. Even in between heats if your a racer, they constantly draw off of the lipo even if your switch is off. Hope this helps
Sholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:27 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 126 (100%+)

[QUOTE=Sholler;6880048]Most lipo packs can only be charged at a 1C rate max, which for a 2300MAH would be 2.3 amps.Unless you are running a spektrum RX you will need a regulator to be safe.There are a few different regulators on the market, depending on what servos you run you will need to adjust. If your running high torque,high speed servos you will need atleast a 5 amp regulator, if not you can probably get away with a 3 amp. one thing to remember is to ALWAYS unplug your regulator from the battery when your not using it. Even in between heats if your a racer, they constantly draw off of the lipo even if your switch is off. Hope this helps[/QUOT

+1

STRC LCG Slash looking for electronics

1985 Associated RC 10 Novak t4 Trinity Monster Horsepower 27T futaba Jr
gkn0315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:43 PM   #4
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the great info guys.

I have a Spektrum SR3000 receiver so does that mean I don't need the regulator? Will the extra voltage harm the servos or is the receiver smart enough to handle that?

Cheers
Ben
teamshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:50 PM   #5
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamshaw View Post
Thanks for the great info guys.

I have a Spektrum SR3000 receiver so does that mean I don't need the regulator? Will the extra voltage harm the servos or is the receiver smart enough to handle that?

Cheers
Ben
The receiver can handle upto 9.6v,but unless you have high voltage servos,you will need a regulator.The lifepo receiver packs are good as you don't need a regulator or hv servos,but don't think anyone makes them to fit the Losi box.
dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:02 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

We run the HT brand of regulator and have found them great they even come with a little heat sink to aid in cooling so we have never had a issue with over heating, our package is now 18 months old and still going strong only replaced a 9351 steering servo due to gears breaking in a truggy.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...or-with-Switch
blade954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:37 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

[QUOTE=gkn0315;6880066]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sholler View Post
Most lipo packs can only be charged at a 1C rate max, which for a 2300MAH would be 2.3 amps.Unless you are running a spektrum RX you will need a regulator to be safe.There are a few different regulators on the market, depending on what servos you run you will need to adjust. If your running high torque,high speed servos you will need atleast a 5 amp regulator, if not you can probably get away with a 3 amp. one thing to remember is to ALWAYS unplug your regulator from the battery when your not using it. Even in between heats if your a racer, they constantly draw off of the lipo even if your switch is off. Hope this helps[/QUOT

+1
I just got a lipo and reg, trying to learn a bit... even if the regulator is on the opposite side of the switch from the lipo, it still will draw through the switch if it's turned off?

right now I have:

6v -> switch -> receiver -> servos
|
charge lead

Will this work:

lipo -> switch -> regulator -> receiver -> servos
|
charge lead

If I wire it this way, is there still some danger in the regulator discharging the lipo through the switch?

Thanks
aray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:31 PM   #8
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

That I am not sure of, because I have never tried that method.The only reason I stressed that you unplug the lipo between heats is once the lipo is drained beyond a certain point, they are dead for good.I learned that lesson the hard way, luckily it was only a $17 dollar pack.Maybe someone else has ran that setup and might chime in for us, but personally I would still unplug it, nothing ticks me off more then running in warmup before the heat and something go wrong with my truggy..
Sholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:53 PM   #9
Tech Elite

recievers and servo electronics have a tolerence of 9v its the motor that cannot handle the 7.4v .max voltage a none hV servo can handle is 6.6volt max

Lifep04 rx packs can be run dead flat not like lipos to a certain point and no regulator is needed
4th Floor, 3rd Building, KeLunTe Industrial Park, ShangLiLang, BuLan Road, LongGang District, ShenZhen, China
COBRARACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:07 PM   #10
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

[QUOTE=aray;6902463]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkn0315 View Post

I just got a lipo and reg, trying to learn a bit... even if the regulator is on the opposite side of the switch from the lipo, it still will draw through the switch if it's turned off?

right now I have:

|
charge lead

Will this work:

|
charge lead

If I wire it this way, is there still some danger in the regulator discharging the lipo through the switch?

Thanks
thats how you do it
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:12 AM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

[QUOTE=houston;6902847]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aray View Post

thats how you do it
+1
CanyonCarverR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:03 AM   #12
Tech Fanatic
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

[QUOTE=aray;6902463]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkn0315 View Post

right now I have:

|
charge lead

Will this work:

|
charge lead

Thanks
That's what I been doing for 1 year now, your OK if install the regulator directly on the receiver.
I am not sponsored, these are the products I chose to support.
Serpent SRX8, Sanwa M11s, Sanwa SRX-BX servos, Picco 5TB
RAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:04 AM   #13
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

[QUOTE=houston;6902847]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aray View Post

thats how you do it
Thanks all for the answer and confirmation.
aray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 05:34 PM   #14
Tech Apprentice

this thread has answered half of my questions . Here are some more: Do I need to run a lipo cut-off too? My regulator is adjustable, what should I set it for?? The default is 5.1. Should I turn it up to 6v?
1lowtaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:22 PM   #15
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lowtaco View Post
this thread has answered half of my questions . Here are some more: Do I need to run a lipo cut-off too? My regulator is adjustable, what should I set it for?? The default is 5.1. Should I turn it up to 6v?
Anybody???
1lowtaco is offline   Reply With Quote