Wiki Posts
Search

Help Me Pick a Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 10:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Grimlock212
I have done a ton of research. Almost all of my time on this forum is research. I have only been a member for about a month and you can see my post count.

I also search with google, you tube, etc. I am not an idiot.

I spent most of my time racing real cars, but I am totally new to RC racing. That being said I have been building RC cars since before Losi even existed as a company.

If people want help on buy a full sized race car, let me know. I can give some advice there based on your budget and goals.
Just ask, I am sure someone will be willing to help, if you are just getting in to racing my best advice is to get whatever your local track or Hobby shop carries, once you familiarized your self with racing, you can get maybe a car not suported localy, but by then you will know what to order as spares in case you brake, and you will.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by smb17
for sure man. Yeah I see a ton of losis down here in socal. Maybe there's a losi thread on here you can try searching for that and see some of the responses
I have read through all of the Losi 8ight and 8ight-T threads as well as most of the other competitors. I was just thinking someone might spot something in that video and tell me that the Losi won't fit my driving style well and that I should look at X or Y model instead. I guess nobody is spotting anything obvious from it.

My plan is to go with the 8ight RTR to get started and then buy a (used) Race Roller off eBay down the road in a few months and then go from there. I figure that way I know I have solid new mechanicals on at least on of the cars.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:10 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by smokinu
i guess im an asshole frank, im aiming for you, if you get hacked by a truggy with a white to orange fade paint job it was ME!
Ive got something special for you>>> Bring it on.
Saturday... Saturday... Saturday...
Old 01-19-2010, 10:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I would stay away from used things. I would just get the kit right off the bat if it was me. and put the stuff you want on it.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:21 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by smb17
I would stay away from used things. I would just get the kit right off the bat if it was me. and put the stuff you want on it.
Yeah I am going to buy the RTR new and then buy the Race Roller later used. I figure if anything is broken on the roller, I can then pull them off the RTR.

I figure I can sell off the radio that comes with the RTR for $100 and use that towards a steering servo upgrade. I need a new bump box so that is helpful for me. Also from what I hear the stock motor in the Losi is good enough for a beginner like me.

So I will start with just the RTR and then move over to the Race Roller as my skills improve. It also lets me get into the sport with less cash out of hand to begin with. If I decide I hate racing, then I am not out the same amount cash as if I had built up a race roller from the start.

I think it would cost around $1100 for a race roller, versus $600 for the RTR.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

I have read through all of the Losi 8ight and 8ight-T threads as well as most of the other competitors. I was just thinking someone might spot something in that video and tell me that the Losi won't fit my driving style well and that I should look at X or Y model instead. I guess nobody is spotting anything obvious from it.

My plan is to go with the 8ight RTR to get started and then buy a (used) Race Roller off eBay down the road in a few months and then go from there. I figure that way I know I have solid new mechanicals on at least on of the cars.
The 8 is a good choice, I would stay away from the rtr, let me explain

1 the starter box will fail
1 steering servo needs upgrading or will fail.

A new rtr is $700.00 plus another $200.00 for the servo and starter box, I onestly think you can get a 8 2.0 race roller in very good condition with spares to boot for about $250.00, you can get a used dx3r for $150.00, and used good servos for about $60.00 each, the engine I would buy new unless you know the owner and feel confertble, the great ofna truggy stater box goes for about $50.00 used and there isn't an engine this box won't turn.
my .02
Old 01-19-2010, 10:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

your doing the right thing. They did not have the losi rtr out when i got my mugen. It took me 2 moths of saving up (while paying bills) to get my buggy.

But putting it together was half the fun for me. So either way you really can't go wrong.

But your taling 750$ vs 1800 to 2000$

and i here the losi rtr is a really top shelf job.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:29 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RAlmeida
The 8 is a good choice, I would stay away from the rtr, let me explain

1 the starter box will fail
1 steering servo needs upgrading or will fail.

A new rtr is $700.00 plus another $200.00 for the servo and starter box, I onestly think you can get a 8 2.0 race roller in very good condition with spares to boot for about $250.00, you can get a used dx3r for $150.00, and used good servos for about $60.00 each, the engine I would buy new unless you know the owner and feel confertble, the great ofna truggy stater box goes for about $50.00 used and there isn't an engine this box won't turn.
my .02
I knew about the servo, but can't I just upgrade the starter box? I own an old bump box from about 10 years ago that I could probably upgrade too. I know one of the RC magazine recently went though the Losi box upgrading it and it seemed fairly easy. They added Lipos, rewired it, and put in a larger motor.

Also you can find the RTR for under $600 at some shops these days.

I definitely don't want to buy a Roller used unless I am very comfortable with the owner and they are local. Otherwise I think a new roller is too expensive off the bat.
Race Roller $500
Servos: $250
Engine and Pipe: $300
receiver: $100
Total: $1150

and I would still need the starter box (or to upgrade mine)
Old 01-19-2010, 10:31 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by dreaux
your doing the right thing. They did not have the losi rtr out when i got my mugen. It took me 2 moths of saving up (while paying bills) to get my buggy.

But putting it together was half the fun for me. So either way you really can't go wrong.

But your taling 750$ vs 1800 to 2000$

and i here the losi rtr is a really top shelf job.
I agree that in a perfect world I would much prefer a kit. I have no idea why the industry went away from the kit...especially on the high end vehicles designed for racing.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

You should do whatever you feel confortable with, this is a hobby have fun.
I do agree that for the money nothing beats the losi RTR packages and the truggy is phenomenal it makes a bad driver look good. if you go that route, you can always upgrade in the future, or buy a race roller and have keep the RTR for parts.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Holy shit, I go get some ass come back and this thing is damn near 5 pages deep. I love this site.

HAHA dreaux, I just about quoted your sig. roflcopter
Old 01-19-2010, 10:46 PM
Tech Elite

I knew about the servo, but can't I just upgrade the starter box? I own an old bump box from about 10 years ago that I could probably upgrade too. I know one of the RC magazine recently went though the Losi box upgrading it and it seemed fairly easy. They added Lipos, rewired it, and put in a larger motor.

I definitely don't want to buy a Roller used unless I am very comfortable with the owner and they are local. Otherwise I think a new roller is too expensive off the bat.
Race Roller $500

let me show you my numbers. It always ends up more expensive then you think. Tax for example

buggy kit 500$ maybe a D8 my mugen was 750$ with tax
m11 radio 300$
vspec 300$
pipe/manifold 100$
servos 200$
starter box 100$
charger 50$
reciever and transmiter pack 100$

then there is

fuel
glo ignitor
thread lock
tire glue
paint
grease
hex wrenchs
etc, etc.

and this is assuming you don't lose one screw. I remember gettings set back at least a week because i lost one o-ring.

this is of course extreme to look at, but i did it a little at the time. There is a cheaper route to go as well as far as engine/radio/buggy/servos used.

But hey, it's a helluva lot of fun. And now i love to run my buggy as much as i like buying stuff for it.

do i really need a 200$ hudy set up station? NNNoOOOo. But i like it and anything and everything in between. I just bought a airbrush kit.

But stick with the losi RTR. It looks like a killer deal
Old 01-19-2010, 10:48 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by boomgagem
Holy shit, I go get some ass come back and this thing is damn near 5 pages deep. I love this site.

HAHA dreaux, I just about quoted your sig. roflcopter
Old 01-19-2010, 10:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by dreaux
let me show you my numbers. It always ends up more expensive then you think. Tax for example

buggy kit 500$ maybe a D8 my mugen was 750$ with tax
m11 radio 300$
vspec 300$
pipe/manifold 100$
servos 200$
starter box 100$
charger 50$
reciever and transmiter pack 100$

then there is

fuel
glo ignitor
thread lock
tire glue
paint
grease
hex wrenchs
etc, etc.

and this is assuming you don't lose one screw. I remember gettings set back at least a week because i lost one o-ring.

this is of course extreme to look at, but i did it a little at the time. There is a cheaper route to go as well as far as engine/radio/buggy/servos used.

But hey, it's a helluva lot of fun. And now i love to run my buggy as much as i like buying stuff for it.

do i really need a 200$ hudy set up station? NNNoOOOo. But i like it and anything and everything in between. I just bought a airbrush kit.

But stick with the losi RTR. It looks like a killer deal
Yes, it is amazing how much we spent once the bug bite buggies you... the best is some people saying that they can get fully setup for 1/8 with tools spares and fuel for $800.00?????????? I spend that on a weekend racing away from home. race fees, fuel, food, hotel, gas, drinks, spares.....
Old 01-19-2010, 11:04 PM
Tech Prophet

Race Roller $500

look if you want a good dignal servo that, wont cost a whole lot i would remmend the orion vortex-vds 1007 .its about $94 it, has alumnuim and titanuim gears .

i run the 1007 servo on my steering and love, it on my eight centers good and other people that have, used it said. nothing but good things, as for a throttle servo any analog. will work but, at least get one that, has about 100 oz of torque for ,the brakes to work .

as for a starter box if you get the regular ,losi eight box ,replace the motors with 2 traxxas titans 21 t and a gell cell ,has prently of power.

do want to get a losi eight rtr or a roller?

are you just doing club racing point racing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.