R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-19-2010, 02:05 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Default How long does a v spec last?

I got a new v spec off a friend and Im hearing mixed reports on engine life. People have gotten only 3 gallons before the block cracks or the engine loses compression. How long is the average life span?
Inertia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 02:18 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to porkchop Send a message via Yahoo to porkchop

For a full on race tune 2-5 gallons most ppl call the 100 Dollor a gallon motor
Old 01-19-2010, 02:42 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I loved my V-Spec as it was as fast as s**t but it only lasted about two gallons before it was toast. But then again I run my stuff hot and fast it's just the way I like it(I am trying to change). I had a P5 that was not as fast but lasted about 5 gallons before it said goodbye. I have an 821b and it lost a rod after 2 gallons but then again I did have a few high rev start ups my fault. Engines last as long as you treat them good Food for thought! I wanted to add though if I was going to a big race and I needed an awesome motor that screams and gets good runtime I would get a V-Spec if I didn't need longevity!!!!!!!!!
motomanpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:01 AM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

V-Spec? Easy come easy go. Hope your a trust fund baby 'cause they burn up the money.
The Working Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:26 AM   #5
Tech Master

Hi.

I've talked to several OS VSpec owners. They complain about the crank wears out. I think the crank will last a lot longer, if you put some extra castor oil in your fuel (5%). Then you shouldn't have that problem - so I guess.

Back in 1992 I talked to the Japanese OS-team at the IFMAR World in Germany. They all used 20% oil... I know thats long time ago, but there could be something about it...

EDIT: And don't set the HSN too lean!

Have fun
I miss you Amy...
Lille-bror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:40 AM   #6
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Put a speed rod in it, the crank pin and rod will last longer. Learn how to tune it and take care of it.
scapbell7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:40 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

I was getting 3-4 gallons... and they're good for 1 rebuild, IF you put in ceramic bearings. (After 1 rebuild the crankpin is too worn.) YMMV. Note that this is with a race tune, and in a truggy.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:24 AM   #8
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

+1 on the speed parts. I have a speed with 7-7.5 gal and it still pulls hard.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:17 AM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

3-4 gallons seems to be about normal.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:28 AM   #10
Tech Fanatic
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lille-bror View Post
Hi.

I've talked to several OS VSpec owners. They complain about the crank wears out. I think the crank will last a lot longer, if you put some extra castor oil in your fuel (5%). Then you shouldn't have that problem - so I guess.

Back in 1992 I talked to the Japanese OS-team at the IFMAR World in Germany. They all used 20% oil... I know thats long time ago, but there could be something about it...

EDIT: And don't set the HSN too lean!

Have fun
Hey, I was there too, the original Kyosho won it, and yes OS motors do require more oil it says so in the owners manual 18% minimum under race conditions, I also use a v-spec (my back up motor now) and a .28 on my truggy with Omega 25%-18%oil (I know airplane fuel) and have over 10 gallons on the .28 the pinch is almost like new and my v-spec is at the 8 gallon mark, they both go like stink and develop more power than with regular race fuel, the extra oil helps with lube and compression.
I am not sponsored, these are the products I chose to support.
Serpent SRX8, Sanwa M11s, Sanwa SRX-BX servos, Picco 5TB
RAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:01 AM   #11
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Vspecs are mostly all I've ran the last couple of years, I get 5-6 gals usually. They still run fine but the power goes down after that point. The biggest thing is dont run the HSN lean. I tune my OS engines leaner than most on the bottom and alittle fat on top. Makes for killer mileage and they last much longer than average. Temps usually stay around 200 and make a ton of power

When you run it with a fat bottom and lean top its powerful when its driven like a light switch but you end up running the engine out of fuel on the top end and robbing crank/rod/sleeve of oil at max RPM.... not many engine will withstand that abuse for very long.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:24 AM   #12
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Mine lost compression after 2.5 gallons and I put tko ceramics in it and changed the rod after 1 gallon. Never another OS based engine for me. The Nova +4 is the same price and you get nova quality and I'm about to break in a Werks B5 which I here is a beast that gets 6+ gallons for $200
Old 01-19-2010, 08:26 AM   #13
Tech Addict

+1 what Tony said and also O.S. motors tune better then any other motor out there hands down. We seldom have to adjust settings from track to track maybe one hour on top + or -. Seal the engine, keep air filters changed and don't over heat and you will get 4 to 5 gallons at race tune. And on the crack cases check your chassis flex we have gone through 15 motors and have not cracked a case yet and thats in buggy and truggy.
donrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:35 AM   #14
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to smb17

I liked my V-spec but the case started to split. They may have fixed this but just throwing a little buyer beware out there.

The Ninja engine is pretty similar I believe but it's just a 5 port instead of a 3 and doesn't have the problems that O.S. does. That's just what I've heard anyway... I was going to buy a ninja till I got the Werks B5 engine. Love that thing.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:37 AM   #15
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Most of my Vspecs didnt even loose metal pinch for a gallon..... so to toast the piston/sleeve a gallon and a half after that is an accomplishment <clanging beer mugs>

I break mine in slow, and run too much through them, according to alot of people.........then again I get more life than alot of people, imagine that.

I run about a quart through them on the starter box between 170-180 before ever hitting the track. I like the parts to get plenty of oil and get a good wear pattern before building a fire in it. Use good filters like Donrod said....and a good oil, I like the mugen stuff. Still have never cracked a case, guess I'm not good at that either lol