Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How long does a v spec last?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 09:00 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

So it's in the gas. I have been running cold fusion magic blend 30% 11% and my 7.5 gallon speed engine still passes the 3 o'clock test.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:09 AM
Suspended

A friend of mine who races with me, had a stock V spec that lasted 8 gal on all stock parts... but others didn't even reach the 4 gal mark.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

i had over 10 gallons on mine and then i just got it repinched and i hope i get another 8 gallons out of it.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Most or all of the v-specs that fail that earlier are using less than 12% oil guarantied.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RAlmeida
Most or all of the v-specs that fail that earlier are using less than 12% oil guarantied.
Agreed.... or run them so lean on the top that they're getting 1% oil
Old 01-19-2010, 09:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Review – O.S. Engines 21VZ-B(P) V-Spec Long Term Test

http://www.myrcbox.com/?p=1399
Old 01-19-2010, 09:54 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RAlmeida
Good point, I never thought of that. I guess I was one of those people
Originally Posted by 2tap

That is no were near a normal life span of a V-spec
Old 01-19-2010, 10:56 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

i have been replacing my v specs around 5-6 gallons with all stock parts. At that point they are still reliable, fast and consistant but i like to have a reliable back up that i can trust if needed.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:20 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 2tap

We have a local guy who claims to have 20 gallons on his VPSEC. He's relatively fast too.

We suspect it has something to do with the funny burning smell that can be detected coming from his car (real car, not buggy/truggy) between rounds.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

11 gallons for me! Yes that's right, 11 gallons. I guess I'm lucky, or maybe it's just because I know how to tune and don't abuse my engines. I really don't buy the short lifespan BS because I have seen plenty go as long as mine did when treated right. I do admit I changed bearings to TKO ceramics and the rod to a speed rod at around 3 gallons or so. IMO that is correct procedure for ANY engine. Doing so will save you tons of $$$ in the long run. If you really expect those high wear items to live a long life you are mistaken. Theres no way the rod will survive the harsh break in period and last a long time. Steel bearings can't be expected to last at such high RPM's for a lengthy time period. Change those items after break-in and I promise you, your engines will last longer and run better.

I run 20% odonnell race fuel in all of my engines. I really don't understand 30% fuel. I never once have had any lack of power running 20% fuel. It gets better runtimes and is better on your engines not to mention the price difference. The common belief is that you need 30% fuel to be competitive. That is WRONG! In fact most engines are actually designed to run 20-25% nitro.

The thing with OS engines is that they will never hold the compression that the Italian made engines will. People see that as a negative, but it really isn't. They run amazingly with very little compression and continue to get great runtime. The metal pinch that Italian engines have is terrible for them. They take forever to break in fully and are always limited in performance because of the pinch. Metal pinch creates heat and forces you to run a richer setting to keep temps under control. The richer setting required causes a big drop off in runtime and performance. OS engines never have this problem. That to me is one of the main reasons they run so well. IMO even if they last a gallon or two less, they make up for it in performance and runtime. You are also getting more "race" time on them per gallon because of the shorter break-in period and because of the longer runtime.

That's my two cents. Coming from a novarossi die hard who is now a huge OS fan...
Old 01-19-2010, 12:01 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
11 gallons for me! Yes that's right, 11 gallons. I guess I'm lucky, or maybe it's just because I know how to tune and don't abuse my engines. I really don't buy the short lifespan BS because I have seen plenty go as long as mine did when treated right. I do admit I changed bearings to TKO ceramics and the rod to a speed rod at around 3 gallons or so. IMO that is correct procedure for ANY engine. Doing so will save you tons of $$$ in the long run. If you really expect those high wear items to live a long life you are mistaken. Theres no way the rod will survive the harsh break in period and last a long time. Steel bearings can't be expected to last at such high RPM's for a lengthy time period. Change those items after break-in and I promise you, your engines will last longer and run better.

I run 20% odonnell race fuel in all of my engines. I really don't understand 30% fuel. I never once have had any lack of power running 20% fuel. It gets better runtimes and is better on your engines not to mention the price difference. The common belief is that you need 30% fuel to be competitive. That is WRONG! In fact most engines are actually designed to run 20-25% nitro.

The thing with OS engines is that they will never hold the compression that the Italian made engines will. People see that as a negative, but it really isn't. They run amazingly with very little compression and continue to get great runtime. The metal pinch that Italian engines have is terrible for them. They take forever to break in fully and are always limited in performance because of the pinch. Metal pinch creates heat and forces you to run a richer setting to keep temps under control. The richer setting required causes a big drop off in runtime and performance. OS engines never have this problem. That to me is one of the main reasons they run so well. IMO even if they last a gallon or two less, they make up for it in performance and runtime. You are also getting more "race" time on them per gallon because of the shorter break-in period and because of the longer runtime.

That's my two cents. Coming from a novarossi die hard who is now a huge OS fan...
Your post makes alot of sense but, why would I buy a engine that I should replace the rod and bearings after break in. I have never had a bad rod with Nova after break in. I never use the stock bearings anyways. And as far as the fuel there has to be a reason 99% of the Pros run 30% or higher fuel. If you still have the higher oil content with the higher percentage why would it be better.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:02 PM
Tech Elite

Default your nuts crazy....

Nova engines don't run hot, that's not true at all. OS engines are good engines no doubt, but anyone can fry an engine. It happens, but some will make em last some won't, If the metal pinch is bad then why do they last 8-12 gallons?
Old 01-19-2010, 12:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JBURCH
Your post makes alot of sense but, why would I buy a engine that I should replace the rod and bearings after break in. I have never had a bad rod with Nova after break in. I never use the stock bearings anyways. And as far as the fuel there has to be a reason 99% of the Pros run 30% or higher fuel. If you still have the higher oil content with the higher percentage why would it be better.
You may never notice a bad rod after break in, but they always get stressed. It's a no brainer that the tight tolerances of a new engine put stress on parts, mainly the rod. This doesn't only apply to OS engines, in fact far from it. The engines that need a rod change the most are tight engines like Novas as they put the most stress on the rod.

Originally Posted by merdith6
Nova engines don't run hot, that's not true at all. OS engines are good engines no doubt, but anyone can fry an engine. It happens, but some will make em last some won't, If the metal pinch is bad then why do they last 8-12 gallons?
Metal pinch is terrible for engines. There is a reason we break in engines, to get rid of metal pinch(and other reasons obviously). I'm not saying that nova engines run hot, just that any engine with metal pinch has to be run with richer settings to keep temps down, and that hurts runtime. If you run them with leaner settings you are going to get higher temps. Higher temps will in turn hurt the engine.

I have nothing against novarossi. They make great engines that last a long time, but they do have their own issues.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:11 PM
Tech Elite

Default Whatever man

We can agree to disagree....
Old 01-19-2010, 01:30 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY

Hi

Was it a Vspec or a Speed?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.