R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-19-2010, 06:03 PM   #46
Tech Fanatic
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I run os on my truggy (bottom end grunt) and NovaRossi on my buggy (top end)
I am not sponsored, these are the products I chose to support.
Serpent SRX8, Sanwa M11s, Sanwa SRX-BX servos, Picco 5TB
RAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:38 PM   #47
Tech Master

Here is a 20+ gallon VSpec http://www.myrcbox.com/?p=1399
Old 01-19-2010, 07:46 PM   #48
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to boomgagem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvain View Post
Here is a 20+ gallon VSpec http://www.myrcbox.com/?p=1399

Dude, that was posted 20+ replies ago.

I won't lie, I got about 1 gallons on my vspec, but it was my fault. I only ran 8 tanks for break in, and race tuned it the next day. It didn't lose all compression, but enough to where I wouldn't run it. I'm sure I COULD have gotten 5+ on it. Break in went smooth, and it ran great, it just wasn't ready for a race tune.

RayA pinched it, and I'm going to put ceramic bearings and a speed rod in it, and run it in right next time
boomgagem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:18 PM   #49
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

a vspec is a race engine and should be used by guys that have less experience. if you know how to care and use an engine at a pro level then 5gallons can be pulled out of one pretty easily. you really cant beat the power and runtime of a vspec broke in and raced by somebody that truly knows what there doing with it. i have seen many vspecs run past the 5 gallon mark as well as a few past the 10. i also have blown one up at 2 gallons and it wasnt treated as it need be. really to be had at $250 you cant beat it considering once again if you know what your doing you can get 11+min and 5gallons out of it with certain power curve unlike other mills at like price
8&stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:33 PM   #50
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by merdith6 View Post
Japan makes great stuff, but there is no doubt that os engines are expensive, run great, but don't last too long...Not the best combo.....

And you said, "Back then the P5s had soft cranks, cases breaking and extremely poor bearings. They still have some of those same issues from what I hear. But I will never know as I have no desire to run a Novarossi engine again." Are you kidding me? OS engines fall apart left and right, and your talkin bad about Nova engines. How many versions of the carb did they (O.S.) make throughout the years to get it right? Bearing replacements after break in and cases breaking, got it backwards buddy...I've never changed a single part on a nova or rb engine and get 10 gallons out of em...For years....Besides who really needs to be right. All engines fail eventually, I just hate to see new people get into the sport and buy an over priced engine and have issues.....
I dont follow you.... OS carbs have remained relatively unchanged from the RZB days from the late 90s. I know because I had one lol They were just as reliable back then. They just moved the idle screw to the other side and updated to tunable venturi's like everyone has. I also never needed to change the bearings in my Vspecs or Speeds, knocking on wood. If it sounds like I talk bad about Nova mills.... I'm only stating no product is flawless, every engine line has experienced one or more of those scenarios.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8&stuff View Post
a vspec is a race engine and should be used by guys that have less experience. if you know how to care and use an engine at a pro level then 5gallons can be pulled out of one pretty easily. you really cant beat the power and runtime of a vspec broke in and raced by somebody that truly knows what there doing with it. i have seen many vspecs run past the 5 gallon mark as well as a few past the 10. i also have blown one up at 2 gallons and it wasnt treated as it need be. really to be had at $250 you cant beat it considering once again if you know what your doing you can get 11+min and 5gallons out of it with certain power curve unlike other mills at like price
Old 01-19-2010, 08:35 PM   #51
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to boomgagem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Newland View Post
I dont follow you.... OS carbs have remained relatively unchanged from the RZB days from the late 90s. I know because I had one lol They were just as reliable back then. They just moved the idle screw to the other side and updated to tunable venturi's like everyone has. I also never needed to change the bearings in my Vspecs or Speeds, knocking on wood. If it sounds like I talk bad about Nova mills.... I'm only stating no product is flawless, every engine line has experienced one or more of those scenarios.

I totally agree, if there was such a perfect engine, there wouldn't be any competition
boomgagem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:54 PM   #52
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Guy goes to a lumber yard and asks the salesman for a 2x6.
Salesman asks "how long you want it?"
Guy says "quite awhile, I'm building a house"
2tap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:03 PM   #53
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tap View Post
Guy goes to a lumber yard and asks the salesman for a 2x6.
Salesman asks "how long you want it?"
Guy says "quite awhile, I'm building a house"
Man the cold must be affecting your thoughts go stand by the heater so you can defrost your head.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:45 PM   #54
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Newland View Post
Most of my Vspecs didnt even loose metal pinch for a gallon..... so to toast the piston/sleeve a gallon and a half after that is an accomplishment <clanging beer mugs>

I break mine in slow, and run too much through them, according to alot of people.........then again I get more life than alot of people, imagine that.

I run about a quart through them on the starter box between 170-180 before ever hitting the track. I like the parts to get plenty of oil and get a good wear pattern before building a fire in it. Use good filters like Donrod said....and a good oil, I like the mugen stuff. Still have never cracked a case, guess I'm not good at that either lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMIT View Post
+1

I don't dislike the VSPEC. I just am not happy with the price to lifespan ratio. The carbs are absolutely the best in the business... but the bearings aren't exactly great, the crankpin wear is a trouble spot, and the overall lifespan isn't that impressive for most folks. The Ninja on the other hand (ALSO an OS, even if it says Mugen on it) is a much better mill.
I have to say i have not had my v spec fail yet but i do know that the bearings are the weak spot why do you think the speed has the ceramic bearings in it also the rod and crank is different well thats because its much better. They are pricy no doubt but you get what you pay for IMO I never have flame out problems awsome fuel mileage as a matter of fact everyone checks my buggy to see i dont have extra filters and fuel line to up my fuel capacity after 11 minutes i got fuel in the tank and its not running lean temps at 225 on a 90degree day after 15minutes

Its like a ford or chevy subaru or toyota some people swear by one and not the other

I say good luck with what works for you and for the guy who has the v spec take care of it and will last a while you wont be disappointed in the performance at all
MontanaMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:09 AM   #55
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
acetone???

No air filter
Hehe.

I learned it from an Aussie. But no, nitro is so much better

You dont use airfilter on a plane engine
I miss you Amy...
Lille-bror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:19 AM   #56
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAlmeida View Post
Lot's of rain alright,
We got kicked out of the Hotel we were staying at, they did not apreciate us washing the buggy's in the tubs, actually someone started there buggy in the hallways....................
LOL. So you guys got enough German beers?
We did!

The best thing for us Danes was the presentation before the race. Denmark has just won the Euro 1992 (football) 2-0 over Germany!!! ... But the Germans was all smiley faces
I miss you Amy...
Lille-bror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:47 AM   #57
Tech Adept

Pdpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:49 AM   #58
Tech Adept

I own a Speed, that has about 3 gal on it, has a lot of compression and runs very well, but i must say that i had to change the inner bearing because it was making a lot of noise already.

I also think that as far as runtime, nowadays, there are more engines that can get similar and even better runtime than OS engines.
The V spec is very good, but like some people here, i don't think they are the most realiable out there, Nova based engines for me are better as they generally last longer, all engines have issues, OS engines do crack a lot of cases, just google it and you will see.

On my series, one VSpec lasted 8 gallons, there was one that broke at 3, and there was one driver that received 2 bad new ones that didn't even ran properly, so everyone has good and bad feedbacks, but most just like put out the good ones.
Pdpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:23 AM   #59
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

I've ran vspecs for the last three years and race nearly every weekend, so these are just my experiences.

In my opinion, it is best to replace the stock bearings with ceramics from the start. If you are careful on break in you can normally expect about 6 gallons before having to replace the piston/sleeve/conrod. Also, one rebuild is about all I could get out of the stock crank because of crank pin wear. So, in my experiences you can get about 12 gallons before the mill is toast.

You will get varying results depending on the racing conditions and the individual application.

I saw also in the thread the mentioning of ceramics and a hard coated crank as the ninja and speed both have. I never owned a speed, but the ninja is a better motor than the vspec in my opinion.

Runtimes on the speed, ninja, and vspec are all great. With proper tuning and pipe combo, you can get 10mins on a regular basis, provided your track isn't one which requires you to be pinned everywhere.
rfleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:21 AM   #60
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lille-bror View Post
LOL. So you guys got enough German beers?
We did!

The best thing for us Danes was the presentation before the race. Denmark has just won the Euro 1992 (football) 2-0 over Germany!!! ... But the Germans was all smiley faces
I was part of the Portuguese team (I was the Pit, setup, cleanup man), yup we had a blast. I still have (back home in Portugal) a Pirate Super M1 and a Mugen Super Athetle (the first car to have front and rear brakes and the engine on the "wrong side")
I am not sponsored, these are the products I chose to support.
Serpent SRX8, Sanwa M11s, Sanwa SRX-BX servos, Picco 5TB
RAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote