Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How long does a v spec last?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 01:47 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RAlmeida
Hey, I was there too, the original Kyosho won it, and yes OS motors do require more oil it says so in the owners manual 18% minimum under race conditions, I also use a v-spec (my back up motor now) and a .28 on my truggy with Omega 25%-18%oil (I know airplane fuel) and have over 10 gallons on the .28 the pinch is almost like new and my v-spec is at the 8 gallon mark, they both go like stink and develop more power than with regular race fuel, the extra oil helps with lube and compression.
Hi.

Very nice race. Too bad with all the rain during the subfinals and the A-main.

Many drivers claims, that an engine will loose power, if you use more oil than the normal 9-12% (more oil = less methanol).
I've made a test with my Thunder Tiger airplane engine, to see the difference between 12 and up to 22% oil at full throttle.
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

I know that car engines run 3 times faster. I didn't test the throttle respons. The one thing i noticed was a lot smoother sound from the engine (as a sewing machine) with more oil without any powerloss compared to 12% oil. With 12% the sound was very metallic.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

acetone???

No air filter
Old 01-19-2010, 02:08 PM
Tech Rookie

i got mine on ebay from japan and it has about five gallons on it. it runs really really well. super smooth and crisp. it stills has compression and it is still running strong. i guess it all depends on if you get a good one or not and the way you run them.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

you bought a vspec with 5 gallons? your brave dude

If i wanted to increase the oil content in my fuel ( byrons gen2 30%), could i just add castor oil?
Old 01-19-2010, 02:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lille-bror
Hi.

Very nice race. Too bad with all the rain during the subfinals and the A-main.

Many drivers claims, that an engine will loose power, if you use more oil than the normal 9-12% (more oil = less methanol).
I've made a test with my Thunder Tiger airplane engine, to see the difference between 12 and up to 22% oil at full throttle.
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

I know that car engines run 3 times faster. I didn't test the throttle respons. The one thing i noticed was a lot smoother sound from the engine (as a sewing machine) with more oil without any powerloss compared to 12% oil. With 12% the sound was very metallic.
Lot's of rain alright,
We got kicked out of the Hotel we were staying at, they did not apreciate us washing the buggy's in the tubs, actually someone started there buggy in the hallways....................
Old 01-19-2010, 02:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

There are so many variables in engine life/tuning, this thread could go on until the end of time with back and forth posts.... some have good info some do not (as with any forum)

It basically comes down to this - the guy on the end of the screwdriver is the determining factor in engine life vs. power produced. Fuel blends/tuning could be another identical thread with no end....

So basically there are guys out there with alot of fuel through their Vspecs and some with hardly any before they die..... so thats an indication of the differences in tuning. So in the end, some "tuners" are successful and some are not but we already knew that before the thread was created right?
Old 01-19-2010, 02:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

DING DING DING Tony wins....case closed
Old 01-19-2010, 03:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

DING DING +2 same motor two different tuners 1 8 gallons 2 3 gallons funny how people say my bearing failed / no compression 3 gallons / broken rod if you take the normal precautions heat engine / proper piston location off / breakin (Major element)/ fuel / and tuning then you will have a more successful engine. If you run your engine and his detonation on the high end then you will have problems check your button regularly.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:43 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I think some of it also has to do with inconsistent Chinese Manufacturing and inferior products. If I cant tune my V-spec, and it craps out in 3 gallons, but then I also cant tune my Novarossi but that lasts 8 gallons, something can be said for my sucky tuning not being the entire problem. I'll be the first to admit my tuning is less than desirable, but I know good power, smoke, response, and temps, and as long as I keep it there for all my engines, if one goes 3 gallons and 1 goes 8 there's more involved than just improper tune
Old 01-19-2010, 03:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaz240
I think some of it also has to do with inconsistent Chinese Manufacturing and inferior products. If I cant tune my V-spec, and it craps out in 3 gallons, but then I also cant tune my Novarossi but that lasts 8 gallons, something can be said for my sucky tuning not being the entire problem. I'll be the first to admit my tuning is less than desirable, but I know good power, smoke, response, and temps, and as long as I keep it there for all my engines, if one goes 3 gallons and 1 goes 8 there's more involved than just improper tune

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O.S._Engines OS engines are manufactured in Japan

Quality and business philosophy is not even close enough to have a comparison between the two countries.

If anything OS is more consistent than most, if not THE most consistent. A couple years ago when Ed Bridge was doing production modded engines for OS/Hobbico, at one point he had almost 500 Vspecs at his shop. We had a conversation around that time about just how consistent all the parts were and how it amazed us that it was possible. The cases, cranks, rod, pistons all weighed and measured extremely close together. Close enough that there was no real point to match parts according to size or weight...... On the other hand I ran nothing but P5s for years and had good luck. Back then the P5s had soft cranks, cases breaking and extremely poor bearings. They still have some of those same issues from what I hear. But I will never know as I have no desire to run a Novarossi engine again. I will tell you that they take separate approaches to tuning as the carbs are designed so differently. I would never tune my OS engines like I tuned the NR engines

There is no miracle engine, as there is no miracle tires or miracle car..... what works for johnny racer might not work for ricky racer.

BTW I'm not sponsored in any way for engines.... I run what I want and there's nothing that compares to an OS Speed, my second choice is a Vspec.

Last edited by Tony Newland; 01-19-2010 at 04:06 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lille-bror
Hi

Was it a Vspec or a Speed?
Regular blue head v-spec.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Inertia
I got a new v spec off a friend and Im hearing mixed reports on engine life. People have gotten only 3 gallons before the block cracks or the engine loses compression. How long is the average life span?
You hit the nail on the head. I've had 3 V-specs all last me 3 gallons.
Now i don't run them anymore because that is too much money.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:52 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaz240
+1

I don't dislike the VSPEC. I just am not happy with the price to lifespan ratio. The carbs are absolutely the best in the business... but the bearings aren't exactly great, the crankpin wear is a trouble spot, and the overall lifespan isn't that impressive for most folks. The Ninja on the other hand (ALSO an OS, even if it says Mugen on it) is a much better mill.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Japan

Japan makes great stuff, but there is no doubt that os engines are expensive, run great, but don't last too long...Not the best combo.....

And you said, "Back then the P5s had soft cranks, cases breaking and extremely poor bearings. They still have some of those same issues from what I hear. But I will never know as I have no desire to run a Novarossi engine again." Are you kidding me? OS engines fall apart left and right, and your talkin bad about Nova engines. How many versions of the carb did they (O.S.) make throughout the years to get it right? Bearing replacements after break in and cases breaking, got it backwards buddy...I've never changed a single part on a nova or rb engine and get 10 gallons out of em...For years....Besides who really needs to be right. All engines fail eventually, I just hate to see new people get into the sport and buy an over priced engine and have issues.....
Old 01-19-2010, 05:51 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Forgive my bashing I am not trying to start trouble. I am only speaking from my personal expieriences. My OS and many that I have seen were the best running engines ever for the first few gallons, but as Domit said the price to longevity ratio was just not there for me. Whenever I see someone post here about rebuilding their V spec everyone that has OD knowledge tells them to use the Ninja case the speed rod, the speed crank and TKO bearings. Well ok bit now your $300 engine just cost you $700 IMO that is not satisfactory for any engine in that price range. We all have our loyalties and what we believe in and what we don't but from my own knowledge I would never recomend a V spec to anyone unless they were $150 bran new and rebuilds were $75

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.