R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-19-2010, 09:00 AM   #16
Tech Lord
 
Frank L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NorCal
Posts: 12,500
Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)
Default

So it's in the gas. I have been running cold fusion magic blend 30% 11% and my 7.5 gallon speed engine still passes the 3 o'clock test.
__________________
- X-Ray/ RC America Team Driver - MKS -
- XB8 - XB8T - XB8 E - OS Spec III - B2102 - 4PXR -
~ SSC ~ Godfather ~ Ironman ~ ButterySmooth ~
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:09 AM   #17
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Portugal - Azores
Posts: 104
Default

A friend of mine who races with me, had a stock V spec that lasted 8 gal on all stock parts... but others didn't even reach the 4 gal mark.
Pdpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:12 AM   #18
Tech Elite
 
jmaxey51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 3,917
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

i had over 10 gallons on mine and then i just got it repinched and i hope i get another 8 gallons out of it.
jmaxey51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:15 AM   #19
Tech Fanatic
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 991
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Most or all of the v-specs that fail that earlier are using less than 12% oil guarantied.
__________________
Rui Almeida
Hamilton, Ontario
CANADA
I am not sponsored, these are the products I chose to support.
Serpent SRX8, Sanwa M11s, Sanwa SRX-BX servos, Picco 5TB
RAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:33 AM   #20
Tech Champion
 
Tony Newland's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Utah
Posts: 5,764
Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAlmeida View Post
Most or all of the v-specs that fail that earlier are using less than 12% oil guarantied.
Agreed.... or run them so lean on the top that they're getting 1% oil
__________________
Schumacher Factory Team - Core RC - Highest Servos - Avid - Lunsford - Bellgate Distributors - Jconcepts - www.Prime-hobby.com - IRCR
Tony Newland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:45 AM   #21
Tech Apprentice
 
2tap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Denver Colorado
Posts: 90
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Review O.S. Engines 21VZ-B(P) V-Spec Long Term Test

http://www.myrcbox.com/?p=1399
2tap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:54 AM   #22
Tech Lord
 
Jaz240's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dwindle city
Posts: 12,492
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAlmeida View Post
Most or all of the v-specs that fail that earlier are using less than 12% oil guarantied.
Good point, I never thought of that. I guess I was one of those people
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tap View Post
Review O.S. Engines 21VZ-B(P) V-Spec Long Term Test

http://www.myrcbox.com/?p=1399
That is no were near a normal life span of a V-spec
__________________
nothing to see here................................
Jaz240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:56 AM   #23
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Moorpark, Ca.
Posts: 348
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

i have been replacing my v specs around 5-6 gallons with all stock parts. At that point they are still reliable, fast and consistant but i like to have a reliable back up that i can trust if needed.
215slowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:20 AM   #24
Tech Elite
 
DOMIT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Posts: 4,034
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tap View Post
Review O.S. Engines 21VZ-B(P) V-Spec Long Term Test

http://www.myrcbox.com/?p=1399

We have a local guy who claims to have 20 gallons on his VPSEC. He's relatively fast too.

We suspect it has something to do with the funny burning smell that can be detected coming from his car (real car, not buggy/truggy) between rounds.
__________________
Brad "DOMIT" Smith - I'm not fast, but at least I wreck a lot.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:48 AM   #25
Tech Champion
 
JAMMINKRAZY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 6,575
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

11 gallons for me! Yes that's right, 11 gallons. I guess I'm lucky, or maybe it's just because I know how to tune and don't abuse my engines. I really don't buy the short lifespan BS because I have seen plenty go as long as mine did when treated right. I do admit I changed bearings to TKO ceramics and the rod to a speed rod at around 3 gallons or so. IMO that is correct procedure for ANY engine. Doing so will save you tons of $$$ in the long run. If you really expect those high wear items to live a long life you are mistaken. Theres no way the rod will survive the harsh break in period and last a long time. Steel bearings can't be expected to last at such high RPM's for a lengthy time period. Change those items after break-in and I promise you, your engines will last longer and run better.

I run 20% odonnell race fuel in all of my engines. I really don't understand 30% fuel. I never once have had any lack of power running 20% fuel. It gets better runtimes and is better on your engines not to mention the price difference. The common belief is that you need 30% fuel to be competitive. That is WRONG! In fact most engines are actually designed to run 20-25% nitro.

The thing with OS engines is that they will never hold the compression that the Italian made engines will. People see that as a negative, but it really isn't. They run amazingly with very little compression and continue to get great runtime. The metal pinch that Italian engines have is terrible for them. They take forever to break in fully and are always limited in performance because of the pinch. Metal pinch creates heat and forces you to run a richer setting to keep temps under control. The richer setting required causes a big drop off in runtime and performance. OS engines never have this problem. That to me is one of the main reasons they run so well. IMO even if they last a gallon or two less, they make up for it in performance and runtime. You are also getting more "race" time on them per gallon because of the shorter break-in period and because of the longer runtime.

That's my two cents. Coming from a novarossi die hard who is now a huge OS fan...
__________________
-Koby Kubrin-
Thanks to my Sponsors:
Serpent America | Team Novarossi | Desoto Racing | Race AKA | Ridgeway Bodies
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:01 PM   #26
Tech Addict
 
JBURCH's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hampton Va
Posts: 626
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY View Post
11 gallons for me! Yes that's right, 11 gallons. I guess I'm lucky, or maybe it's just because I know how to tune and don't abuse my engines. I really don't buy the short lifespan BS because I have seen plenty go as long as mine did when treated right. I do admit I changed bearings to TKO ceramics and the rod to a speed rod at around 3 gallons or so. IMO that is correct procedure for ANY engine. Doing so will save you tons of $$$ in the long run. If you really expect those high wear items to live a long life you are mistaken. Theres no way the rod will survive the harsh break in period and last a long time. Steel bearings can't be expected to last at such high RPM's for a lengthy time period. Change those items after break-in and I promise you, your engines will last longer and run better.

I run 20% odonnell race fuel in all of my engines. I really don't understand 30% fuel. I never once have had any lack of power running 20% fuel. It gets better runtimes and is better on your engines not to mention the price difference. The common belief is that you need 30% fuel to be competitive. That is WRONG! In fact most engines are actually designed to run 20-25% nitro.

The thing with OS engines is that they will never hold the compression that the Italian made engines will. People see that as a negative, but it really isn't. They run amazingly with very little compression and continue to get great runtime. The metal pinch that Italian engines have is terrible for them. They take forever to break in fully and are always limited in performance because of the pinch. Metal pinch creates heat and forces you to run a richer setting to keep temps under control. The richer setting required causes a big drop off in runtime and performance. OS engines never have this problem. That to me is one of the main reasons they run so well. IMO even if they last a gallon or two less, they make up for it in performance and runtime. You are also getting more "race" time on them per gallon because of the shorter break-in period and because of the longer runtime.

That's my two cents. Coming from a novarossi die hard who is now a huge OS fan...
Your post makes alot of sense but, why would I buy a engine that I should replace the rod and bearings after break in. I have never had a bad rod with Nova after break in. I never use the stock bearings anyways. And as far as the fuel there has to be a reason 99% of the Pros run 30% or higher fuel. If you still have the higher oil content with the higher percentage why would it be better.
JBURCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:02 PM   #27
Tech Elite
 
merdith6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Brazoria, TX
Posts: 2,350
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default your nuts crazy....

Nova engines don't run hot, that's not true at all. OS engines are good engines no doubt, but anyone can fry an engine. It happens, but some will make em last some won't, If the metal pinch is bad then why do they last 8-12 gallons?
__________________
Mad Dog drives a Mugen MBX-7, Novarossi engines, Clockwork Racing, Futaba radio, AKA/Proline Tires
merdith6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:26 PM   #28
Tech Champion
 
JAMMINKRAZY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 6,575
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBURCH View Post
Your post makes alot of sense but, why would I buy a engine that I should replace the rod and bearings after break in. I have never had a bad rod with Nova after break in. I never use the stock bearings anyways. And as far as the fuel there has to be a reason 99% of the Pros run 30% or higher fuel. If you still have the higher oil content with the higher percentage why would it be better.
You may never notice a bad rod after break in, but they always get stressed. It's a no brainer that the tight tolerances of a new engine put stress on parts, mainly the rod. This doesn't only apply to OS engines, in fact far from it. The engines that need a rod change the most are tight engines like Novas as they put the most stress on the rod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merdith6 View Post
Nova engines don't run hot, that's not true at all. OS engines are good engines no doubt, but anyone can fry an engine. It happens, but some will make em last some won't, If the metal pinch is bad then why do they last 8-12 gallons?
Metal pinch is terrible for engines. There is a reason we break in engines, to get rid of metal pinch(and other reasons obviously). I'm not saying that nova engines run hot, just that any engine with metal pinch has to be run with richer settings to keep temps down, and that hurts runtime. If you run them with leaner settings you are going to get higher temps. Higher temps will in turn hurt the engine.

I have nothing against novarossi. They make great engines that last a long time, but they do have their own issues.
__________________
-Koby Kubrin-
Thanks to my Sponsors:
Serpent America | Team Novarossi | Desoto Racing | Race AKA | Ridgeway Bodies
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:11 PM   #29
Tech Elite
 
merdith6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Brazoria, TX
Posts: 2,350
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Whatever man

We can agree to disagree....
__________________
Mad Dog drives a Mugen MBX-7, Novarossi engines, Clockwork Racing, Futaba radio, AKA/Proline Tires
merdith6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:30 PM   #30
Tech Master
 
Lille-bror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Frederikshavn, Denmark
Posts: 1,792
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY View Post
11 gallons for me! Yes that's right, 11 gallons. I guess I'm lucky, or maybe it's just because I know how to tune and don't abuse my engines. I really don't buy the short lifespan BS because I have seen plenty go as long as mine did when treated right. I do admit I changed bearings to TKO ceramics and the rod to a speed rod at around 3 gallons or so. IMO that is correct procedure for ANY engine. Doing so will save you tons of $$$ in the long run. If you really expect those high wear items to live a long life you are mistaken. Theres no way the rod will survive the harsh break in period and last a long time. Steel bearings can't be expected to last at such high RPM's for a lengthy time period. Change those items after break-in and I promise you, your engines will last longer and run better.

I run 20% odonnell race fuel in all of my engines. I really don't understand 30% fuel. I never once have had any lack of power running 20% fuel. It gets better runtimes and is better on your engines not to mention the price difference. The common belief is that you need 30% fuel to be competitive. That is WRONG! In fact most engines are actually designed to run 20-25% nitro.

The thing with OS engines is that they will never hold the compression that the Italian made engines will. People see that as a negative, but it really isn't. They run amazingly with very little compression and continue to get great runtime. The metal pinch that Italian engines have is terrible for them. They take forever to break in fully and are always limited in performance because of the pinch. Metal pinch creates heat and forces you to run a richer setting to keep temps under control. The richer setting required causes a big drop off in runtime and performance. OS engines never have this problem. That to me is one of the main reasons they run so well. IMO even if they last a gallon or two less, they make up for it in performance and runtime. You are also getting more "race" time on them per gallon because of the shorter break-in period and because of the longer runtime.

That's my two cents. Coming from a novarossi die hard who is now a huge OS fan...
Hi

Was it a Vspec or a Speed?
__________________
www.xray-shop.dk www.northtq.com
Best regards Bjarne Petersson, Denmark
XRAY / FX Racing Engines / OS Speed / HPI / Byron / HUDY / Proline / Sanwa MT4s / Savx servos / Ultimate
I miss you Amy...
Lille-bror is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OC CIRCUIT v.2 Intelligentsia California Racing 10451 06-15-2015 10:29 PM
my v-spec. dreaux Nitro Off-Road 7 08-16-2009 10:33 PM
Sirio cl3b 3 port engine and pipe set...good for a budget set-up? hugh_b Nitro Off-Road 31 01-01-2009 06:09 AM
Breaking in a OS Vzb V-spec How did you do it? DirtRacer Nitro Off-Road 29 01-08-2008 10:17 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:20 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net