Wiki Posts
Search

A lil help please!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 07:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default A lil help please!

Hey all well I am new to nitro racing and I have a ofna 9.5 pro/ Ravanger. I know I know its not the best to race with but I got it for free and I am saving my pennies for a Losi 2.0 cause thats what my LHS carries parts for so any way on to the problem. I have the ofna force .28 in the car and I had it running great before the race at home and even in practice its was running really well. First heat make it seven laps in and it just dies. Temp'd the motor only 175 got it back started again then it died again so I quickly swap plugs ran great for a couple more laps then died again. heat two same thing main as it was just a club race I got in and same thing. I was seriously frustrated by this point. I was running pretty good for my first race. I and everybody there for the life of us cant figure it out. Adjusted the idle nothing. Leaned it out because the temps were only 175 nothing. I really think that it felt like it was losing signal from my TX because it happened in the same couple spots. I dunno guys I need some help here. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-18-2010, 07:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

its probably a little to rich causing the glow plug to burn out. 175 is on the cold side most engines run around 220 or 230. and that being a sport engine i see those run around 250. i ran my sport engine around 260 and it lasted a very long time.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:23 PM
Tech Prophet

175 degress sounds to rich maybe is there a lot of smoke, coming out of the pipe , clutch in good shape? is the carb bolt loose, also check that.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

for some reason "running really well" and "running great" does not go with 175 deg temp, I'd check your temp gun. Get someone else at the track to confirm that its really running at 175.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Seal the engine with silicone and replace the O-rings in the carburetor. This will eliminate any inconsistencies in tuning. Also, check your fuel tank to make sure it is sealing properly. Make sure there are no cracks in the fuel line as well.
What did your glow plug that died look like? It's possible to read plugs much like it possible to read spark plugs on full size engines.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:51 PM
Tech Master

Well after further review my motor was a little loose and my glow plug looks fine to me. slightly brown but not burnt. I will tune it to run in the 240-250 range and see what happens. I just really hope I can get this figured out.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:55 PM
Tech Master

OH and the fuel tank and lines are good as far as I can tell blew threw both ends of the fuel line and got pressure in the tank. the old glow plug still works good red all the way to the end when i put I test it. I think that it just may have been running to cold. It was low 30's the other night when we raced. Never even thought of it being to cold would make it die like that.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:00 PM
Tech Prophet

are you using a hot glow plug? that would really help in the cold, weather. one thing i notice about running nitro is. if you keep running the, same temp glow plug it will usally run good all season ,inless its about 30 degrees out.

at least with my luck it, runs good doing it that way.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:00 PM
Tech Master

Oh and one other quick question anybody ever used proline bow ties on indoor clay track? How do they work?
Old 01-18-2010, 08:07 PM
Tech Master

tc5 that is funny you say that about the hot glow plugs. I got into a discussion with a very knowledgable guy at my LHS about glow plugs. I thought the same way cold out run a hot plug hot out run a cold plug. he procedded to tell me that I was 180 off. From what he was saying hot plugs burn all the fuel in the engine which helps when the temps are hot the fuel doesnt burn all the way thus the hot plug helps with and vice versa with the cold. kinda makes sense but I dont know so i am running a medium plug. I will get a hot plug and see what difference that makes.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:20 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Pin2Win
tc5 that is funny you say that about the hot glow plugs. I got into a discussion with a very knowledgable guy at my LHS about glow plugs. I thought the same way cold out run a hot plug hot out run a cold plug. he procedded to tell me that I was 180 off. From what he was saying hot plugs burn all the fuel in the engine which helps when the temps are hot the fuel doesnt burn all the way thus the hot plug helps with and vice versa with the cold. kinda makes sense but I dont know so i am running a medium plug. I will get a hot plug and see what difference that makes.

yea some people at lhs dont know what, they are talking about lol, not all just some yea when i race during. the spring and summer ,fall season i run a meduim hot plug and half of the time. i never had to tune the engine, if i ran the same temp plug and dint change ,it to a diffrent temperature one.

i really never ran my in 30 degree weather, but it makes sense to run a hot plug.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pin2Win
well it does work backwards in hot weather you would want a colder plug as to withstand higher temps and leaner condition. so in colder weather the hotter plug works to acheive this as the motor temp will be lower with the same fuel mixture needing the hotter plug
Old 01-19-2010, 01:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default ok

I only run one plug the medium mc-8...
Old 01-19-2010, 02:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Same spot on the track? Take a look at your frame under the cluch and see if it's striking. Some good flexing will jam it and stall it. But still get the temps up and seal the motor. Fuel line is cheep so replace often and look closely for air leaks. If the fly wheel is to low caseing on jumps and landing can stall also. Check ride hight and shock oil wt. Mite need to stiffin. it up a little. All these little thing on this struggle buggie will make life hard but wiil go away when the 2.0 comes to the house.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:14 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I started with a Ravager with that engine in it. It isn't a very GOOD buggy, but it will take some abuse.

Get some help tuning the engine from some other racers... and check the slop on the conrod. A sloppy rod will give you these kind of symptoms- it will seem to run fine but you'll flame out frequently. (And check all the other stuff folks have mentioned.)

175 does sound a little on the cool side, but that engine does have a pretty big cooling head. I broke half the fins off of mine (by accident... newbies hit things and break in ways you would never imagine! ) and it still was plenty of cooling surface.

That engine is also a little on the "hard to drive" side. Too much bottom end to be a good buggy engine actually... and no top end. Going up a tooth or maybe even 2 on the clutchbell will help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.