Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
How long should a well maintained drive train last? >

How long should a well maintained drive train last?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How long should a well maintained drive train last?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 05:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default How long should a well maintained drive train last?

I bought tools to replace the pins in all my drive shafts so my outdrives will last longer. Then it got me thinking, how long do the gears last?

assuming that everything is messed properly, cleaned with fluids changed, and greasing the pinion and ring gears.

I bought a whole new set when i had about 10 gallons on my old set (mugen) even though there was little signs of wear.

so how long should mugen gears last? I have never heard of them needing to be replaced because they were worn out.

15 gallons??
20?
30?
50?

and really, if they do start to get worn, couldn't you just keep reshiming them?
Old 01-18-2010, 07:45 PM
Tech Adept

[QUOTE=dreaux;6871921]I bought tools to replace the pins in all my drive shafts so my outdrives will last longer. Then it got me thinking, how long do the gears last?

assuming that everything is messed properly, cleaned with fluids changed, and greasing the pinion and ring gears.

I bought a whole new set when i had about 10 gallons on my old set (mugen) even though there was little signs of wear.

so how long should mugen gears last? I have never heard of them needing to be replaced because they were worn out.

15 gallons??
20?
30?
50?

and really, if they do start to get worn, couldn't you just keep reshiming them?[/QUOTe
.................................................. .................................................. ..

My bud has a mugen mbx5t with 20/30 gals. onit & his diff gears look NEW!

He's a HARD driver & always uses a.28 engine.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default a long freakin time....

Unless it's a losi or hot bodies or something cheap. Hahahah
Old 01-19-2010, 02:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

hot bodies diffs in a brushless emaxx with aluminum bulkheads - 3 years old and still running strong.

My mugen is 2 seasons old and no wear on the gears.

it's about the maintenance,
Old 01-19-2010, 07:56 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I normaly sell the car before I can wear out the diffs. The one time i did have to replace the gears was because of a bad bearing and it caused the mesh to be off . It was still useable but i had a spare so i just replaced it anyway.