Community
Wiki Posts
Search

mugen or hot bodies?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 12:53 PM
Tech Adept

Default mugen or hot bodies?

I have a mugen mbx6 right now and was wondering about the d8. I am a fairly decent driver and was wanting to try something else. If not the d8 maybe an associated rc8b. I would just like your opinion thanks.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

xray. If i bought a different brand, this is the only possibility for me.

I like the oddonell as well.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:56 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Thumbs up rc8b

I just switched from a losi to a Rc8b and love it, much more stable and easy to drive, not as twitchy. And for the price hard to beat i got mine new for $400, you might want to think about the Rc8b best value for what you get out there right now
Old 12-30-2009, 01:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

What's wrong with your 6T?
Old 12-30-2009, 01:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

The D8 takes getting used to when switching from the mugen to the hot bodies but after a little bit you'll start to like it.

-Both are very reliable, but you gota keep an eye on the D8 cvd's
-The D8 is easier to drive, and after about 30 min practice I was already putting up slightly faster run times.
-Price factor the D8 is easier on the wallet.
-The diff fluid seems to last a bit longer on the D8, but overall maint. is easier with the mugen.
-The mugen's life span is longer, but by how much I don't know. I would say after about 3 gallons on the mugen it shows about as much wear as the hot bodies with 2 gallons.

Overall it comes down to driving style. If you like to drift the mugen tops that catagory. If your a "slower is faster" kinda guy the D8 is probably faster. I just made the switch from mugen to the D8, fits my driving style better. Sorry I got no experience with the associated.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:44 PM
Tech Adept

I dont have a truck I have a buggy. No matter what i do with my setup I can get it right. It either wont slide or wont rotate or does it way too much. I cant find a good balance at all. So i figured i might try something else
Old 12-30-2009, 01:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 171 (97%+)

The HB D8 is a easy to drive buggy that is easy to set-up as well. The mugen is a good car, but a bit more twitchy from the few I have seen. The D8 is a 1-2 set-up kind of car. I have 2 Set-Ups I usually run, and generally one of the 2 works on almost every track. Here recently, I have been using the same set-up from track to track, Just slight variations in Shock Oil depending on the outside temp. You would be very happy with the D8.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:51 PM
Tech Addict

Before giving up on the 6 try slowing down that ace 1015. Its pretty quick and can throw it into a spin fairly quick. That along with adding like a 2mm spacer to the bump steer calmed mine down. I had mine just a hair faster then a .15 servo.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:18 PM
Tech Regular

Check out the Tamiya 801X, I've driven MBX5R and MBX6 in the past years, I find the 801X quite similar to the MBX5R but it turns better and accelerates better. But is just as easy to drive as the MBX5/R - in other words, way easier than the MBX6.

I considered the D8, but I ruled it out due to durability issues.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:24 PM
Tech Addict

Durability is not an issue with the D8 if you use your mbx6 center cvd's in it front and rear like I did (they fit with a clutch bell spacer between the bevel gear and coupler). And I also from the start went with kyosho cvd's from the diffs to the wheels because the guy I bought it from already had them in there.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by halfman
I dont have a truck I have a buggy. No matter what i do with my setup I can get it right. It either wont slide or wont rotate or does it way too much. I cant find a good balance at all. So i figured i might try something else
If you are having that much of a problem setting up your 6, then the D8 would be a good choice for you. By far easier to set up than the 6. I do own both as well, but I still prefer my 6. Once you get a good setup on it, it is pretty much unstoppable. But the D8 is a great buggy as well. If I change, it will be with the XRay, but then again, you will be chasing a setup like the 6. Sounds like the D8 will work for you. Good luck.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Hmmm

the mbx6 is bad a&#... I drive an 808, but the car I find the most interesting besides the mugen and the xray is the team associated buggy. I haven't driven one, but it always look so planted in the turns and carries more speed too. The d8 looks like a cheap losi copy, and weird things happen to the buggy, but it does seem to drive great, I got beat by one a few weeks ago, grrr......
Old 12-30-2009, 03:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

I have more than 3 gallons on my D8 center cvds and they are still in good shape i just clean recrease after a couple of races and i got boots on all of my cvds with grease it seems to help alot with them not wearing as fast. and the car is fast and stable.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by merdith6
the mbx6 is bad a&#... I drive an 808, but the car I find the most interesting besides the mugen and the xray is the team associated buggy. I haven't driven one, but it always look so planted in the turns and carries more speed too. The d8 looks like a cheap losi copy, and weird things happen to the buggy, but it does seem to drive great, I got beat by one a few weeks ago, grrr......
The D8 is nothing like the losi.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:25 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by DPowers
The D8 is nothing like the losi.
+1

Losi is twitchy and I find annoying to drive.
D8 is stable and you know what line it is going to take.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.