Search

MP9 VS. RC8B

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 05:09 PM
Tech Adept

Default MP9 VS. RC8B

Anyone have or driven both??
Likes and Dislikes of each car??

Trying to get an idea for this upcoming season....
Old 01-16-2010, 05:58 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by motorhead68
Anyone have or driven both??
Likes and Dislikes of each car??

Trying to get an idea for this upcoming season....
I own the MP9 and I haven't found anythin i've disliked about it yet! Everytime I run it, I find something else i like about it. I switched from a Losi to the Kyosho and it was the best switch i've made! The MP9 is very durable. I haven't broken anything in 3 months. It seems like a short time to have it, but i've ran at multiple club races, a big money race, a couple outtatowners, and the JConcepts clash down in Tampa, FL. The buggy is very well planted based on the stock setup. I've changed a few things to my liking and it runs great now.

I ran a buddies RC8B and I dont know if it was just me, but i didnt quite like it. It might've been his setup also. But in that day we ran, he blew a rear shock shaft. Since he's had the buggy, he's blown 3 servos in it. He is an excellent driver also, so it's not like he was all over the track hitting things. He is the one who wins most of our club races.

Hope this helps! If you have any other specific questions, please feel free to PM me or post them on this thread.

Thanks, Garrett
Old 01-16-2010, 06:02 PM
Tech Elite

Blowing shocks and servo problems are not normal for the RC8B. The RC8B is a great buggy. The MP9 is a great buggy. I would choose the RC8B.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chris Reilly
Blowing shocks and servo problems are not normal for the RC8B. The RC8B is a great buggy. The MP9 is a great buggy. I would choose the RC8B.
+1 I agree 100%

Shock shafts are rock-solid on the RC8B..you said that you're buddy is the one that wins most of the races, and what does he drive ?

The RC8B is an awesome machine. I don't like the tiny bearings that Kyosho put in the diffs, but aside from that, the MP9 is a beauty too. But I'd still rather have the RC8B.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:28 PM
Tech Champion

Both feel identical to me on the track. The K is a copy of the AE (or vice versa) using better quality materials.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:46 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
Both feel identical to me on the track. The K is a copy of the AE (or vice versa) using better quality materials.
Really? Thats interesting. I was wondering if one had more steering than the other or perhaps just felt better balanced. Thanks to everyone for the input
Old 01-16-2010, 08:09 PM
Tech Champion

Losi 8 2.0 is to Xray 810 as AE Rc8 is to Kyosho Mp9.

If you like driving the Rc8 but want higher quality parts then get the Kyosho. If you look at the layout of the 2 cars and then drive them, its pretty easy to see that they're kind of the "safe benchmark" desighn of 1/8th scale.

Not as extreme as the Losi/Xray, not as Odd as Mugen/Caster.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I haven't driven either, but I'm intrigued by the thought that the MP9 is a copy of the RC8

The RC8's suspension looks more like a european style car. The shocks are more layed down than American style cars. The MP9 looks like the 777 had a complete make over, lighter, tighter, more nimble...etc etc?

A lot of guys I talk to who have the RC8 complain that it is difficult to get the car to rotate because of the geometry. But that was mostly before the RC8B and the big bores.

The RC8B's quality has been much improved since the original, but Kyosho has a great reputation for quality as well.

If I had to choose between the both, I would go with the MP9 if it weren't for the price. I run the Xray which is pricey too, but with three 808's I haven't broke a single piece and I like the handling and acceleration, and it responds very well and consistently to small setup changes
Old 01-16-2010, 08:47 PM
Tech Champion

They aren't really copies just to very similar cars.

when the Rc8 came out I thought it was AE's take on what the Kyosho Iferno should be, and with goofy laydown shocks that explode.

Then kyosho saw some of the cool stuff Ae had, added some of it to their car, lost some weight etc. Kyosho, Mugen, and Xray were forced to bring out new cars after the intro of the Rc8. They had to pick up thier game alot. And they did, now its the Rc8 that's starting to look obsolete.

On the track their isn't anything that a Rc8 can do that the Mp9 can't. They really feel the same to me. (feel boring)

I'd skip both and get a Mugen or Xray.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I would pick a the car YOU like, you will get every opinion possible. Pretty soon, someone will say to get a Z car. The AE is bullet proof now and will run as long as any car on the market and has TONS of support (support is huge in my book).

All I know, is AE wins alot of races as does Kyosho and Losi and Mugen will w Amezcua. The other mentioned is pretty, but sure doesn't see the podiums in Big Events.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

I will agree with the above statement. The older rc8 simply would not rotate. I now have a rc8b that I havent raced yet but very curious to see if it is better
Old 01-17-2010, 08:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
They aren't really copies just to very similar cars.

when the Rc8 came out I thought it was AE's take on what the Kyosho Iferno should be, and with goofy laydown shocks that explode.

Then kyosho saw some of the cool stuff Ae had, added some of it to their car, lost some weight etc. Kyosho, Mugen, and Xray were forced to bring out new cars after the intro of the Rc8. They had to pick up thier game alot. And they did, now its the Rc8 that's starting to look obsolete.

On the track their isn't anything that a Rc8 can do that the Mp9 can't. They really feel the same to me. (feel boring)

I'd skip both and get a Mugen or Xray.

Well if you look at it that way all buggy's are a copy of each other they all have shocks, diff's, fuel tank and a motor. But who really set the bar in weight loss was Xray, then followed by kyosho and Mugen.

They say xray was a copy of losi because of the front suspension but that's just a suspension system that has always been around with 1/10 scale. It's kind of saying pivotball susupension is Mugen's design only it's not.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:01 AM
Tech Champion

To me each car has a "base personality" on the track. Some cars just plain feel different. You can only adjust this "base" so far before the car starts to act weird.

Losi and Xray feel similar on track usually with only minor setup changes. Lite and quick everywhere. The Xray (09 spec) needs wheelbase adjustments and lead added to truely feel like the Losi.

Kyosho, Ae, Odonnel, feel similar. Steady and glued to the track. Like driving a pile of wet rags.

Mugen, Caster, and Hotbodies seem to have similar turning points. Odd rotation that works well, but it feels like they rotate around an axis farther forward than most cars. I call it the "airboat" feeling, kinda like rear steer in a tow motor.

Ofna, Jammin, Hoboa......no comment.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:01 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 207 (100%+)

has AE figured out there tanks yet??
Old 01-17-2010, 09:04 AM
Tech Champion

Yup.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.