Wiki Posts
Search

crap, crap, crap!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 02:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default crap, crap, crap!

I had a bunch of older mugen bearings i wanted to clean and reuse. So i took all the seals off, cleaned them with brake cleaner, and repacked them with mobil 1.

Put my buggy back together with the bearings i just cleaned.

Well, just for fun i used the search and found out that most don't use grease at all. They use a lite oil or nothing at all.

Crap. The bearings come with grease in them, i don't understand

ETA, the mugen bearings are worth the cleaning.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=bearing+lube
Old 01-16-2010, 02:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Lol, dreaux. Keep with the grease. You can't feel any difference on track and it probably protects the bearing more . I don't even clean the bearings aslong as they move freely and are not notchy.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The 1/8 on road guys use oil, they do not have the dirt and dust to deal with, trust me you do not want oil in a off road.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (98%+)

you will be fine
Old 01-16-2010, 03:01 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Dreaux you sure you didn't confuse the wheel bearings with the clutch bearing's ? as most guys do wash out and use oil instead of grease in the clutch to prevent glazing and grease from contaminating the clutch.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:06 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Integra
Dreaux you sure you didn't confuse the wheel bearings with the clutch bearing's ? as most guys do wash out and use oil instead of grease in the clutch to prevent glazing and grease from contaminating the clutch.

no. All bearings except the clutch and servo saver bearings.

It's raining outside, i am off of work, so i took all my old mugen bearings (bout 50 of them) cleaned and repact with grease.

when i say packed with grease, i took both seals off, and put all the grease that would fit in there. When i snapped the seals back on, it would ooze out.

brand new again.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:10 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by dreaux
no. All bearings except the clutch and servo saver bearings.

It's raining outside, i am off of work, so i took all my old mugen bearings (bout 50 of them) cleaned and repact with grease.

when i say packed with grease, i took both seals off, and put all the grease that would fit in there. When i snapped the seals back on, it would ooze out.
meh....i say go for it...but i would honestly run it in your front street first before taking it to the dirt/track...if the grease is gonna fling out from being overly packed...i would much rather have it be just grease instead of grease and dirt combined.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

my experience with grease is that as it seeps out of the seals it attracts dirt to the bearing seal, which in turn finds its way into the bearing rather quickly. I find bearing oils keep the bearings lasting longer, especially at the track i race with that has very fine dirt particles.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:22 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Man you have more patience that I do. I use $1 avid revolutions and when they get gritty I toss them. I think you will be fine though. With oil you have to clean and re-oil them very often. Usually after every 1-2 race days. Thats alot of work.

Besides grease is waterproof so u are set for those submarine adventures.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:25 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Frank L

Old 01-16-2010, 03:35 PM
Tech Regular

I too have repacked my bearings with Mobile 1 synthetic grease. They were very smooth but maybe a bit slow rolling.

I agree with the person that posted on you need to run the truck a few times to spin the grease out.

This is not a problem, and I personally think the grease is fine for the bearings. The excess grease will come out or burn off over time.

but do not use grease, or only very minmally in areas that the grease will cause slippage like the clutch. Bearing oil or nothing at all my be better here
Old 01-16-2010, 03:36 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Frank L
Man you have more patience that I do. I use $1 avid revolutions and when they get gritty I toss them. I think you will be fine though. With oil you have to clean and re-oil them very often. Usually after every 1-2 race days. Thats alot of work.

I have 2 tubes of avid wheel bearings.

and they are still in the tube
Old 01-16-2010, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

Location: a very small town in wisconsin that is in the middle of absolutely no where
Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

i only use avid just placed an order for 200 new bearings. with 8 cars running at least 2 every weekend. i go thru about 200 bearings a year. avid bearings last very long. when they feel gritty pitch in the circular file and put in new. for big races the cars get every bearing replaced before it hits the track. jeremy
Old 01-16-2010, 04:38 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I'm not surprised. Not at all. BTW any chance you are going to AZ next month for the Dirt race at the Nitropit?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.