Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
What is the monthly cost of racing? >

What is the monthly cost of racing?

What is the monthly cost of racing?

Old 01-13-2010, 09:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default What is the monthly cost of racing?

I have been looking at getting back into racing rc. Much has changed since I was a kid. I have a good grasp on the initial cost. I am looking at getting a 1/8th buggy.

What are the monthly costs? A few things will break here and there. I am not so worried about that. Assuming you race 4 days a month and maybe 2 days of practice. How much fuel are we talking about? Tires also seem to be the other big one. How often do you have to do a clutch rebuild? How often till you need major engine work? Am I missing other big costs?
I am just trying to get an idea of how much money this will cost monthly. I am starting to think that 1/8th electric is cheaper. A higher starting cost, but much cheaper in the long run.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:43 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 20 (92%+)

there are a lot of variables in this but 6 yrs ago i was racing every weekend with the best you could buy and i spent about 150 to 200 a weekend ( tires, fuel, parts, track cost, etc...) running nitro. just racing as a hobby i would say around 35 to 45 a race for cost and that being at least 25 for track fees included as most tracks are at least 25. now if you go full electric the only thing i would suggest is you get a digital volt meter to check your lipos because you dont want to overcharge and definently dont want to discharge them too much as this will kill them fast !!!
Old 01-13-2010, 09:52 AM
Tech Elite

There is another thread on this same page. Can we take it there please. There to many threads talking about the same thing.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...per-month.html
Old 01-13-2010, 10:17 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I saw that treat and it asks how much you spend on parts. I am more looking for a break down on what you spend the money on. How much on tires, fuel, etc...
Old 01-13-2010, 10:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

in long term 1/8 electric is cheaper but there are things u need for both classes like tires that can get costly.

clutch needs regular maintenance. i check it after qualifiers and then after each main. same with clutch bearings. then airfilters.

on electric car I dont really do much mainteneance. just clean if after each race and put it on a shelf It seems to last.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:32 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'd say it's more about what you can AFFORD to spend on racing. A few years ago when I raced I was dumping TONS of money into racing, new tires all the time, practicing and racing up to 5 days a week, new engines compared to rebuilding them, traveling to club races, series races, nationals, etc. I was spending upwards to 200-300 a week. I'm just now getting back into it and things have certainly changed on my end money wise. I know now, I'm going to have to almost budget what I can afford. If I budget so much fuel, I need to cut racing or practicing down to be able to stay within those means. I just bought a used buggy compared to getting new. I'm pulling out all my old equipment for now to revive and use. I will have to race on used tires for club racing and save getting new tires for bigger races, and most of all I have to learn how to NOT crash and keep broken parts to a minimum etc. I dunno if this made any sense but it's how I'm looking at making a comeback, especially since I just recently lost my job, but RC is the only thing to keep me sane.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:33 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by repstein
I saw that treat and it asks how much you spend on parts. I am more looking for a break down on what you spend the money on. How much on tires, fuel, etc...
Repstein heres what your looking at for nitor

Motor $140-$350
Glow plugs $4-$9 each
Clutch shoes and springs $20-35 a set
Bearings $10-25 a month
Tires $45-$56 a set tire may last you two to three weekends
Fuel $35-$45 a gal which last about 2 weekends
Parts really all depends on what you want to carry for parts.
Races fees in Texas $10-$25 for racing and $5-$10 for pratices

If you have any more Q,s feel free to pm
Old 01-13-2010, 10:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Here is what I normally spend...

$20 race fee per class
$15 fuel
$6 glow plugs

Now that is a given every weekend, and I spend $40 round trip to get there.

I normally check my clutch wear after every race day. But you shouldn't have to replace shoes but 1 time a season, if you have long life shoes.

I do the same with bearings, check after every race day, but I normally don't have to replace very often.

I put in a fresh plug for every main, and use it for the next time practicing and the heats.

I use about a half gallon to 3/4 for every time out

Then you have to factor in After run oil, car cleaner, filters, ect that you won't replace, or use up all in one race day.

In other words, there is too many factors to give you a close guess, but just for shits and giggles. I would say you're looking at about $80 for an average race day
Old 01-13-2010, 11:13 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

15 For fuel....You must be getting quarts LOL
Old 01-13-2010, 12:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mike Wood 46
I'd say it's more about what you can AFFORD to spend on racing.
This.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:15 PM
Tech Prophet

i all depends if you have 45 minute mains of corse, you are gone to use a gallon of fuel in 2 weekends. and if you also run buggy, and truggy then you will use fuel up pretty quick.

but if use race just one car it should, last more than 2 weekends specially if you use a ,ventri in the carb. and not to mention the ,tires that are out these days should ,last you for a while .

1. glow plugs i spend about $7.69 and they last for a long time.

2. a gallon of fuel can last me, about 3 weekends if im only racing one car.

3. a set of tires like aka tires last me about a mouth.

4. clutch shoes last me about 2 gallons if i use long lasting clutch shoes.

5. as for bearings about a gallon or so.

baselly it depends on how you drive if you, are a smooth driver fuel will last you longer and if your not. and your a monster on the throttle, in the corners than it wont last, you long at all .
Old 01-13-2010, 12:22 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

I have a budget i have set up and try and stick to it the best i can i only do this for Club racing for bigger races i will buy new motors and tires and rebuild my hole buggy.

1. Tires i use old ones can get around 3 months are longer on a set. 60.00

2. Motor i run Axe Rossi i have one that has around 10 Gal on it i have run for 2 years now been a Great motor. So you should get around 1 year of racing on a motor so your looking at 30.00 a month you need to put back to buy a new motor at the end of the year 360.00

3. Parts a buggy will need rebuilt ever couple of months new bearings and clutch parts so you are looking at around 60.00 a month you will need for parts.

4.Fuel is around 35gal and you will use 2 gal a month so 70.00 a month for fuel.

5. Are Club cost 20.00 a week for Club racing and we pay 20 year for track time any time we wont it so that is nice.

This is just me some guys will run a new motor ever couple of week and get new tires ever couple of weeks i don't do this for Club Racing. I save my money for BIG races and spend what i need to have a A+ Buggy when i go out of town.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:33 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by repstein
I have been looking at getting back into racing rc. Much has changed since I was a kid. I have a good grasp on the initial cost. I am looking at getting a 1/8th buggy.

What are the monthly costs? A few things will break here and there. I am not so worried about that. Assuming you race 4 days a month and maybe 2 days of practice. How much fuel are we talking about? Tires also seem to be the other big one. How often do you have to do a clutch rebuild? How often till you need major engine work? Am I missing other big costs?
I am just trying to get an idea of how much money this will cost monthly. I am starting to think that 1/8th electric is cheaper. A higher starting cost, but much cheaper in the long run.

you can race a nitro 1/8 without spending, a ton load of money in the long run espially in club racing. yea 1/8 electric in the long run can be cheaper, but theres nothing like racing, a real nitro engine. a electric doesnt feel like racing to me. and i do race a slash also and, a former electric offroad driver.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:19 PM
Tech Elite

Depends on how much you race, they type of races you attend, and where you go...... it could get costly
Old 01-13-2010, 01:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Well thanks a hell of a lot for laying that all out! I raced ever weekend and sometimes twice in one weekend in four different states in 2009 from April through November. Now I know why i am "BROKE" .Thats with a Revo,imagine all the time spent keeping 3 Revo's running at that pace .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.